Rumor: “Canucks working the Phones, Trying to make a trade” — Dhaliwal

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Funny that it took management this long to realize we need even more on D.

When they got Hronek most fans thought “Cool, now we have two top 4 defencemen. We’re halfway there!” Now if Cole or Soucy is adequate in a top 4 role that’s great, but still only one on the right side and Hronek isn’t a natural fit with Hughes.

Anyway Andrew Peeke is the name I’ve been screaming for about two years now. Great fit and CBJ actually has a lot of other options on the right side.
I think Peeke would be a great fit.

What would it take though? I'm sure Rathbone and Podkolzin would be on the table, but would need a big add.

Also would mean the Canucks would need to clear about 1.6 in cap to make it happen.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I know it's very fashionable to lambast The current leadership but considering that in the span of less than a year they've got rid of OEL, acquired Hronek with assets from a Horvat Trade, signed two veteran D for reasonable contracts and found some free FA finds in McWard and Hirose... you know, I'd say that's pretty darn effective.

I wouldnt beat on Allvin here. Of course they wanted to look what they had at camp before making even more moves. If Myers is let go soon after, apart from Hughes their D corps is all brand new. That's impressive no matter how you look at it.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think Peeke would be a great fit.

What would it take though? I'm sure Rathbone and Podkolzin would be on the table, but would need a big add.

Also would mean the Canucks would need to clear about 1.6 in cap to make it happen.

I’d probably rather have straight picks than those guys due to them being redundant in the Columbus system (although Podkolzin and Marchenko played together before), but I just don’t see it working out for Vancouver’s cap situation.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The prices for RD are almost always high. There just generally aren't that many RD ever available in either free agency or through trade.
I don’t disagree but i think the thought process behind it was. to see how certain teams camps shook out and maybe a decent player shakes loose or maybe someone in the organization takes a big step.

I’m not fully supportive of Allvin yet but he’s a fair bit better than the window licker he replaced.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Maata would be a good pickup at the right price but it doesn’t solve the Canucks’ issue that Tocchet wants a right shot alongside Hughes.
No, but he’d definitely make the team better immediately, he’s likely available for cheap, and he has that proven history with Hronek.

What’s out there on the right side, right this minute, isn’t exactly appealing. We know Cole can slide up and play on the right side, while they keep looking for the better fit.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t disagree but i think the thought process behind it was. to see how certain teams camps shook out and maybe a decent player shakes loose or maybe someone in the organization takes a big step.

I’m not fully supportive of Allvin yet but he’s a fair bit better than the window licker he replaced.

I'm not offering any criticism, but I don't think a RD who can play in the top-4 becoming available in pre-season would ever be a realistic approach.

Considering the Pearson-DeSmith deal, I think it far more likely that the cap space wasn't/isn't there and the bigger money guys Vancouver would be willing to move don't have trade value.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I'm not offering any criticism, but I don't think a RD who can play in the top-4 becoming available in pre-season would ever be a realistic approach.

Considering the Pearson-DeSmith deal, I think it far more likely that the cap space wasn't/isn't there and the bigger money guys Vancouver would be willing to move don't have trade value.
I think they would settle for a decent bottom pairing guy the caliber of say a Luke Schenn to play 15-16 min a game and they can double shift Hughes with Cole, Soucy or even Hronek here and there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This is not the thread you seek young McPadawan.
Vancouver’s team thesis/structure or lack there of is probably the most interesting one for a fan of the NHL to study. It’s a team that should tear it down but can’t because ownership won’t let it and they drafted two really good players in back to back drafts that are now reaching their peak prime.

But the team has otherwise squandered a ton of key draft picks around EP and Hughes and made many other awful GM decisions. Then the flat cap tied their hands.

The Vancouver threads are always up my alley.

Their dilemmas are self inflicted and fascinating. Their fan base less delusional than the Habs. But sad they have so many bad contracts holding them back. Vancouver is team purgatory.. flames and Peg knocking on that door though.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vancouver’s team thesis/structure or lack there of is probably the most interesting one for a fan of the NHL to study. It’s a team that should tear it down but can’t because ownership won’t let it and they drafted two really good players in back to back drafts that are now reaching their peak prime.

But the team has otherwise squandered a ton of key draft picks around EP and Hughes and made many other awful GM decisions. Then the flat cap tied their hands.

The Vancouver threads are always up my alley.

Their dilemmas are self inflicted and fascinating. Their fan base less delusional than the Habs. But sad they have so many bad contracts holding them back. Vancouver is team purgatory.. flames and Peg knocking on that door though.
They have at most 2 bad contracts holding them back. Myers and Garland, Boeser is not ideal but at least we can almost guarantee 50 points from him.

Garland actually isn’t even that bad, he’s just not a good fit for these team that already has too many smaller stature players.

Team composition is a bigger issue than “bad contracts”

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They have at most 2 bad contracts holding them back. Myers and Garland, Boeser is not ideal but at least we can almost guarantee 50 points from him
Well. You’re paying OEL into the 2030s so that’s not really gone.

Boeser is a bad contract. Esp if he gets hurt again.

EP needs a new one next year… which is also a problem since he’ll seek a huge raise.

Kuzmenko also on a short term deal. So as soon as the bad ones burn off.. gotta give Hronek and others raises. Vancouver’s been very poorly managed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jesus this is awful for Vancouver. I think you could make an argument that Garland has neutral to slightly negative value in regards to his contract. Myers' is bad but it only has one year left. You think replacing a neutral / slightly negative contract and one that expires in a year with two longer, absolute albatross contracts in Risto and Ellis is a fair trade?

No, I never considered it as something straight up. For sure pieces needed to be added to make the deal make sense for both sides. I just was saying if that was the initial basis to address certain issues that the two clubs are struggling with, whether there is a bigger idea that is possible. Yes, it requires quite a few assumptions. That's what I was hope to clarify while explaining the reason why I was asking.

A big assumption that would have to fly would be something like the Flyers ownership don't like paying Ellis not to pay for them (if not insured or whatever). I had read something that said the Flyers had explored trying to move that contract in the past because they were also potentially concerned about Couturier? But if the concept of Flyers wanting to move Ellis' contract and a few concerns are not the case, then this idea is bunk and dead in the water. That's what I was asking because I don't know Flyers and Canucks scenarios well.

Thanks for responding. It does seem like the idea is bad and dead in the water.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Well. You’re paying OEL into the 2030s so that’s not really gone.

Boeser is a bad contract. Esp if he gets hurt again.

EP needs a new one next year… which is also a problem since he’ll seek a huge raise.

Kuzmenko also on a short term deal. So as soon as the bad ones burn off.. gotta give Hronek and others raises. Vancouver’s been very poorly managed.

1. Buyout
1. Potentially not good contract
2. Up coming raises

Still not much for “bad contracts” like you claimed

Poor team composition and being a market that will continue to be attractive is a bane for the market, they keep supplementing poor drafting with free agency players

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
They have at most 2 bad contracts holding them back. Myers and Garland, Boeser is not ideal but at least we can almost guarantee 50 points from him.

Garland actually isn’t even that bad, he’s just not a good fit for these team that already has too many smaller stature players.

Team composition is a bigger issue than “bad contracts”
Oh the irony in this post

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
1. Buyout
1. Potentially not good contract
2. Up coming raises

Still not much for “bad contracts” like you claimed
every year you’re closer to the end of Boeser and Garland bad contacts, those deals suck a little less.

You’ll be able to retain 50% on Boeser ~18 months from now and get a decent pick when he’s a rental.

OEL is a dead cap hit on your books for most of the next decade. He didn’t quite go away.

Those raises highlight a team that is still years away from contention because as you find cap space, you allocate it back to the players on the team that needed raises. EP and Hronek next summer when Myers goes away. And more dead money from OEL hits the books.

And you’re a signing these extensions right as the cap raises. Would have been better to sign them when the cap was flat and agents couldn’t find cap space for their clients.

I don’t see a viable path to true contention any time soon. Nor do I see a team bad enough to get a Bedard or Dahlin type.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Still better than having Nurse eating 9.25 million of our cap ;)
I'd rather pay Nurse 9.25 mil than be paying that OEL buyout until 2030, enjoy that cap hit of 4.8 mil from 2025-2027

You yourself have stated Nurse is a good player.

But yes, he's overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad