Post-Game Talk: Zzzzz in Seattle

Which B player will make the team?

• Total voters

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
These games almost feel useless in terms of evaluating anyone.

There is so little up for grabs and realistically we aren’t going to know who is going to grab the couple spots available until we start seeing more NHL players from both sides.

As much as I don’t want a Virtanen here, or as much as I’m hoping Benson earns another shot, I don’t feel like there is too much to glean at this stage in camp.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The one thing I'll give Benson is he's started to add a lot of jam to his game. That doesn't grow on trees these days.

Even a guy like Virtanen who was drafted for it doesn't really have it.
I just don't buy it because most of the Jam Benson is bringing is between whistles jawing. He does it lots, and it really means nothing to me. maybe belt some guys. Maybe respond when a dirty play happened. he really did none of that, neither did Virtanen. Both could be showing more.

You'd think near Million buck pay would be a motivator. You wouldn't know it. Lot of guys would dream for a shot.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
This is the ace in the deck for Benson if there is one.

it would be a mistake. Benson is in no way an NHL player and has demonstrated that time and again. If woody is picking Benson on AHL familiarity thats an atypical thing to prefer an AHL player over an NHL player.

Not saying you're wrong.
I've got time for Benson on the 4th if he keeps playing like this. I like that they tried him on the dot too tonight...Woody's testing him like he tested Holloway, and giving him opportunities due to his play.

Reactions: capazzo

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lovely to see good old dinger has nothing better to do with his evening than troll through the Oilers GDT. Imagine being that pathetic.

Spends more time worrying about the Oilers than his Jets. I don’t blame him, who can care about such an irrelevant franchise. At least he has some equally irrelevant Avco Cups to look back fondly on

Reactions: harpoon

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Didn't watch the first, but Virtanen looks better than Shore and Janmark in this game.

I'd like to see more physicality from him, but the speed is there and he shows some good offensive instincts. Positioning on the PP was solid. Ripped a shot wide from the slot on the 5 min PP. I also noticed a forced turnover late in the third.

I really think Benson makes the team based on what I've seen so far. Mike Kesselring looks really good. I hope he has a big year in Bakersfield.

On Seattle's side, D'Accord looks really poised. Made some big saves and assisted on the Donato goal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Benson played good again but in no way shape or form should be on our team this year without showing still even more improvement.

There is one spot that is going to have to go to a $750k forward.

The options are:
Benson
Malone
McKegg
Griffith
Virtanen

It’s not like there is a tonne of stiff competition. Just pick the best of the bunch and hope they don’t hurt you too much really.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
These games almost feel useless in terms of evaluating anyone.

There is so little up for grabs and realistically we aren’t going to know who is going to grab the couple spots available until we start seeing more NHL players from both sides.

As much as I don’t want a Virtanen here, or as much as I’m hoping Benson earns another shot, I don’t feel like there is too much to glean at this stage in camp.
Agreed, but Holloway and Niemelainen have certainly separated themselves from the pack IMO.

Guys like Hamblin and even Benson at least earning longer looks.

Reactions: InTheBox and Whyme

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Broberg was awful. Nemo was miles better and was playing his 2nd game in two nights and travel. Nemo had an outstanding first game and solid in this one. He was textbook on the 5 and 3 and with his size and stick is Chara like in coverage. he tipped two pucks out of harms way with his reach.

Nemo also skated pretty well. he joined a shorthanded rush once in the game and then got back to help deter a 3 on 1
Yeah that's two good looks for Nemo in two games in a row for sure. Right now he has the advantage over Broberg. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I'd be very happy if they both pan out. I think Broberg has a higher ceiling ultimately but Nemo has improved and looks good.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
These games don’t matter, but they do show who puts in effort and has some stand out skill. I imagine by game 6 we will get a pretty complete roster look

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

The options are:
Benson
Malone
McKegg
Griffith
Virtanen

It’s not like there is a tonne of stiff competition. Just pick the best of the bunch and hope they don’t hurt you too much really.
Benson all day if this is the case. I think Woody had him do a faceoff for a reason.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I just don't buy it because most of the Jam Benson is bringing is between whistles jawing. He does it lots, and it really means nothing to me. maybe belt some guys. Maybe respond when a dirty play happened. he really did none of that, neither did Virtanen. Both could be showing more.

You'd think near Million buck pay would be a motivator. You wouldn't know it. Lot of guys would dream for a shot.

Its hard to say because the officials stepped in right away, but Benson went straight after Melanson after his headshot on Hamblin. I think he might have fought him. Gave him a pretty nasty crosscheck, tbh.

If official let him know it was a 5 minute penalty, maybe you want cooler heads to prevail instead of taking an instigator.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've got time for Benson on the 4th if he keeps playing like this. I like that they tried him on the dot too tonight...Woody's testing him like he tested Holloway, and giving him opportunities due to his play.
Benson was losing almost every faceoff. Really I think he was OK in first, getting not much done in 2nd, and horrible in the third. Doesn't say a lot for him that he can't even sustain some minutes in an exhibition season. I gave Benson credit in multiple posts for his first game. but really after watching two I'm starting to see his typical nothingburger game. There just isn't anything in his toolbag or skillset that speaks this is NHL player. He isn't one.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The options are:
Benson
Malone
McKegg
Griffith
Virtanen

I feel this isn't quite right but I'm tired. But Hamblin has been better than everyone on that list

Hamblin

Malone
Benson

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, but Holloway and Niemelainen have certainly separated themselves from the pack IMO.

Guys like Hamblin and even Benson at least earning longer looks.

Hamblin’s contract is too big unless the Oilers decided they were going to send two veterans under contract down.

I suppose if Broberg gets sent down and Niemo is in his place that would open enough space for Hamblin to be the 12 forward instead of one of the 750k guys

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its hard to say because the officials stepped in right away, but Benson went straight after Melanson after his headshot on Hamblin. I think he might have fought him. Gave him a pretty nasty crosscheck, tbh.

If official let him know it was a 5 minute penalty, maybe you want cooler heads to prevail instead of taking an instigator.
Benson doesn't go further.

its not hard to say.

The height of Benson aggression is jawing somebody or a highstick or a hit. its not his calling card. Nice that he's trying.

He has had zero NHL fights. I don't know he's had an AHL fight or any fight since Junior. I mean thats the reality. Benson jaws when officials are around. He doesn't dance. last time I raised this his mother posted up his two hockey fights from 5yrs ago.

The last time Benson was in a fight was 17-18 season in Junior. I just checked to be sure.

sorry for some sarcasm, heh, not directed at you.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hamblin’s contract is too big unless the Oilers decided they were going to send two veterans under contract down.

I suppose if Broberg gets sent down and Niemo is in his place that would open enough space for Hamblin to be the 12 forward instead of one of the 750k guys
If sending Broberg down means Niemelainen and Hamblin in at this exact point in time you do it without question. We will see how preseason shakes out tho. Lots can change before regular season starts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The options are:
Benson
Malone
McKegg
Griffith
Virtanen

What a killers row of options. Yikes. Oh well.

Kinda feel sorry for Griffith and McKegg. Dream is done guys. These guys are exiting orbit. Not in a good way. Griffith has looked better before and going the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad