Which B player will make the team?

• Total voters

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Kesselring, Nemo, and Peters looked OK.
Wasn't wanners best game.
Barrie gave a preseason effort.
Goalie's looked appropriate to where they are in the organizational depth chart.

I'm expecting half this team to be cut soon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson played two in a row too and IMO has earned any job over Virtanen so far. One game for Janmark but it was bad - Ryan was better. Broberg played well last night, but not so much tonight.
Benson has been better than Virtanen, I'll give you that. But Janmark fully rested was awful in this game.

That said Janmark and Virtanen are NHL vets. They will get the inside track over a Benson regardless in most situations thats what happens in NHL a prospect has to beat the vets out of a spot. For instance what Hollywood is putting down as an emphatic point. Benson needs to do more than this and he had to produce a drop. it isn't going to be enough to generate some chanes and frankly anybody on the PP tonight should be taking next game off. the PP was -1 . There was virtually no Oilers offense or offensive presence in this one.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
And that’s wrong. The Oilers had 3 d pairings tonight. On CHED you had both Jack Michaels and Stauffer talking about Peters cause the coaching staff has liked him in camp. The guy was playing defence tonight.

Man the Oilers can't get a stream right and is now bamboozling me on the App jeeze

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hopefully Campbell and Skinner have fine, healthy seasons because our goaltending depth chart beyond that this season is basically Pickard and then <insert great chasm here>.
5 year contract to Campbell and the Youth of Skinner plus NHL Goalie Carousal being an option. Not really something we have to be too worried about.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man the Oilers can't get a stream right and is now bamboozling me on the App jeeze
It’s not the Oilers the official NHL stat sheet is meased

Attachments

• 758CCBA2-B4FE-4884-9ADB-22764BC5891A.png
    758CCBA2-B4FE-4884-9ADB-22764BC5891A.png
    909.5 KB · Views: 2

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
And that’s wrong. The Oilers had 3 d pairings tonight. On CHED you had both Jack Michaels and Stauffer talking about Peters cause the coaching staff has liked him in camp. The guy was playing defence tonight.
Pretty sure Reid Schaefer's namebar also spelled his name wrong (Schaeffer), lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson has been better than Virtanen, I'll give you that. But Janmark fully rested was awful in this game.

That said Janmark and Virtanen are NHL vets. They will get the inside track over a Benson regardless in most situations thats what happens in NHL a prospect has to beat the vets out of a spot. For instance what Hollywood is putting down as an emphatic point. Benson needs to do more than this and he had to produce a drop. it isn't going to be enough to generate some chanes and frankly on the PP tonight should be taking next game off.
I agree with Janmark and not Virtanen. Janmark is a vet with a contract who has played well recently. Virtanen is a guy on a pto who is 3 years away from playing well.
Holloway is head and above Benson but based on what is shown if they were picking between Virtanen and benson, Benson stays. Especially for Woody

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Theres no way you should want to watch this one. It was awful. From an Oilers standpoint hardly anybody showed. Nemo and Kesselring were good.
Pretty much went as expected honestly. Usually we have a split squad game to start the preseason so I'm just treating this game as the second half of the usual split squad.

Good evaluation game for the coaching staff and for some of the rookies to see how they match up against a lineup with several NHLers though. Nothing really more.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is the reason exhibition hockey wasn't broadcast in the olden days.

Hard lesson for the Oilers young d-corp facing down the expansion team's good players who need to win and build relevance in this new market.

Kesselring looked good with the puck and jump into offensive play. Work in progress defensively. Lots of solid potential for this young guy to grow into. Niemelainen pretty good again tonight though seemed a bit slower on a back-to-back. Simply game though.

Broberg with big minutes. Though he was uneven. Early was a bit passive but I thought he had a solid assertive 3rd period. Still not mature man strength which is a challenge against apex talent and little to no physical game. Don't have to put people through walls but need to step up physically at times in NHL. Though credit for big PK minutes on a unit that held its own with the Krak 0-6 for the night.

Hard to find much to like on a bottom six/twelve forward group. Benson brought it again with a feisty, pest game and clearly improved skating. Credit this guy for putting it on the line to fight for a job. Petrov with a little flash of skill. Janmark was pretty good until he wasn't. But solid size and generally good two-way game. Virtanen missed a grade A opportunity in the kill zone. Early return on the second chance granted isn't looking good. Will get more runway unless the reported social media post of more scandal landing with this player puts a mercy kill on redemption street. No hunger, no job Jake.

As above this game as lineups were constructed was going to be about gaging young Oiler defenders and how they could stand up to a more NHL regular season lineup. The forward bottom six heavy talent didn't really get anything done offensively. Kept to the perimeter and little finishing ability.

EDIT: Pre-season for all of us. Hamblin (not Petrov) and (Matvey? haha) Peters looked okay as a AHL depth guy getting action. Too many football numbers...

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Benson played two in a row too and IMO has earned any job over Virtanen so far. One game for Janmark but it was bad - Ryan was better. Broberg played well last night, but not so much tonight.
I don't believe Broberg played last night.

Not a great debut. Albeit preseason means nothing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with Janmark and not Virtanen. Janmark is a vet with a contract who has played well recently. Virtanen is a guy on a pto who is 3 years away from playing well.
Holloway is head and above Benson but based on what is shown if they were picking between Virtanen and benson, Benson stays. Especially for Woody
This is the ace in the deck for Benson if there is one.

it would be a mistake. Benson is in no way an NHL player and has demonstrated that time and again. If woody is picking Benson on AHL familiarity thats an atypical thing to prefer an AHL player over an NHL player.

Not saying you're wrong.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

it would be a mistake. Benson is in no way an NHL player and has demonstrated that time and again. If woody is picking Benson on AHL familiarity thats an atypical thing to prefer an AHL player over an NHL player.

Not saying you're wrong.
I mean we are talking about Benson who is not an NHL player but looks like he wants to be one vs Virtanen who is not an NHL player who looks like he wants a nap.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Not saying you're wrong.

The one thing I'll give Benson is he's started to add a lot of jam to his game. That doesn't grow on trees these days.

Even a guy like Virtanen who was drafted for it doesn't really have it.

Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Broberg was awful. Nemo was miles better and was playing his 2nd game in two nights and travel. Nemo had an outstanding first game and solid in this one. He was textbook on the 5 and 3 and with his size and stick is Chara like in coverage. he tipped two pucks out of harms way with his reach.

Nemo also skated pretty well. he joined a shorthanded rush once in the game and then got back to help deter a 3 on 1

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Broberg was awful. Nemo was miles better and was playing his 2nd game in two nights and travel. Nemo had an outstanding first game and solid in this one. He was textbook on the 5 and 3 and with his size and stick is Chara like in coverage. he tipped two pucks out of harms way with his reach.

Nemo also skated pretty well. he joined a shorthanded rush once in the game and then got back to help deter a 3 on 1
The talk has all been about how Broberg has to play his way off the team, so far Nemo is stealing his job on my books, but a long way to go till the season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Benson played good again but in no way shape or form should be on our team this year without showing still even more improvement.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad