Post-Game Talk: Zzzzz in Seattle

Which B player will make the team?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's generating great offensive chances these games whether it be his own shots or great feeds it's just his linemates like Virtanen/Hamblin etc are botching his setups and he's getting robbed. He looks visually way better offensively than 2 points in 30 games Benson.
This ignores that one goal Benson botched several scoring chances himself including a breakaway, a crease tap in, wide open look etc. I mean its kind of odd to state the player that never scores is being held back by guys like Hamblin/Virtanen that actually do score, and Hambln has scored goals here. Hamblin scored in game 1. Hamblin scored goals at prospects, He scored goals last preseason. Maybe Benson could work on producing a drop.

hamblin was doing fine with Holloway, Bourgault, etc. Alternately if Benson is the straw in any particular NHL game good luck with that. Because nothing is happening in that game. This was pretty much a specific lineup to get some stud out of Benson and he had what 6PP minutes? He was -1 on the PP.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
This ignores that one goal Benson botched several scoring chances himself including a breakaway, a crease tap in, wide open look etc. I mean its kind of odd to state the player that never scores is being held back by guys like Hamblin that actually do, and have scored goals here. Hamblin scored in game 1. Hamblin scored goals at prospects, He scored goals last preseason. Maybe Benson could work on producing a drop.
Benson has produced at plenty of these prospect games in the past he just doesn't play them anymore. Also produces plenty more than guys like Hamblin in the AHL and actually is responsible for driving play on his lines.

Reactions: capazzo

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Hmm, I thought Janmark was their best forward in the 1st period (not saying much, I know). I didn't watch much of the last two periods though so maybe he stunk it up after the 1st?
Can't really expect much from vets in preseason anyway. I'd like to see more from guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi who have something to prove.
I actually missed the first period lol.

Maybe they were more even than I thought. But Ryan looked more noticeable to my eye and I saw Janmark flub the puck a few times, most notably when he failed to keep it in on the PP and the Kraken scored their short handed breakaway goal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Look at the roster he played with last night. Niems looked better in the first preseason game and just okay last night
Either one of Nemos; performances were better than Bros and for sake of consistency every one of Nemos' performances last season was better than Bro showed last night.

Its not even close. This no conclusive statement on Bro, just that he's not there yet and Nemo is showing an NHL game that is ready to unpack with intangibles we require.

Nemo is essentially our Stanley and was miles better than Stanley against the Jets. Why not use him?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson has produced at plenty of these prospect games in the past he just doesn't play them anymore. Also produces plenty more than guys like Hamblin in the AHL and actually is responsible for driving play on his lines.
Hamblin scored more goals in his full season in Bakersfield than Benson has ever notched there and Hamblin is undrafted and younger. Not saying we play him but he's better scoring than Benson.

Hamblin also scored more in Junior than Benson.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Hamblin scored more goals in his full season in Bakersfield than Benson has ever notched there and Hamblin is undrafted and younger. Not saying we play him but he's better scoring than Benson.

Hamblin also scored more in Junior than Benson.
Benson had higher assists per game year after year in the AHL, including his 20 year old season, than Hamblin has points per game last year. You can't be looking at goals alone for a known playmaker. Hamblin also had lower ppg in the WHL in each corresponding year of development to Benson and only had his super productive season as an overager, while Benson was busy putting up near PPG in the AHL. he's a far better offensive player than Hamblin don't kid yourself, both in terms of productivity and offensive skillset.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson had higher assists per game year after year in the AHL, including his 20 year old season, than Hamblin has points per game last year. You can't be looking at goals alone for a known playmaker. Hamblin also had lower ppg in the WHL in each corresponding year of development to Benson and only had his super productive season as an overager, while Benson was busy putting up near PPG in the AHL. he's a far better offensive player than Hamblin don't kid yourself, both in terms of productivity and offensive skillset.
Sure I can look at goals alone re a Benson here, if he ever is here would be specifically 4th line material. He ain't gonna have much to pass to there either and its up to him to show he can ever finish something, anything, at this level. Again I'm not saying but Hamblin in, neither are good enough but at least Hamblin could pot some.

Benson's one intangible is he's a playmaker. Unfortunately he's property of the Edmonton oilers and his one skillset is highly redundant here and frankly hasn't even resulted in anything at this level.

My reply to you was about goals. As you were throwing shade on Bensons linemates for not finishing. It was fair for me to bring up that Benson only finishes pregame meals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you're going by merit so far into camp both Niemelainen and Kesselring deserve a spot over Broberg.

Quality of competition needs to be taken into consideration.
I honestly don't get why Kesselring doesn't get more love from the media and fans here. Hit the bar yesterday and ripped a high and hard one off the goalies mask as well. IMO his acceleration could be improved a bit and his gamble on the Krakens 1st goal didn't work out, but for all of the hype that Wanner (rightfully) gets, Kesselring has a NHL toolbox.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly don't get why Kesselring doesn't get more love from the media and fans here. Hit the bar yesterday and ripped a high and hard one off the goalies mask as well. IMO his acceleration could be improved a bit and his gamble on the Krakens 1st goal didn't work out, but for all of the hype that Wanner (rightfully) gets, Kesselring has a NHL toolbox.
I've given Kesselring several props. last night as well he manned up and outworked an opponent, just owned him, got to the puck on sheer strength, and almost potted one. He was good in prospects games as well. hes' been good. That play he made last night was the best play any Oiler made on the night.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Sure I can look at goals alone re a Benson here, if he ever is here would be specifically 4th line material. He ain't gonna have much to pass to there either and its up to him to show he can ever finish something, anything, at this level. Again I'm not saying but Hamblin in, neither are good enough but at least Hamblin could pot some.

Benson's one intangible is he's a playmaker. Unfortunately he's property of the Edmonton oilers and his one skillset is highly redundant here and frankly hasn't even resulted in anything at this level.

My reply to you was about goals. As you were throwing shade on Bensons linemates for not finishing. It was fair for me to bring up that Benson only finishes pregame meals.
The Blackhawks during their championship runs frequently featured Marcus Kruger on their 4th line who isn't exactly a goal scoring machine. The Penguins during their championship runs used Tom Kuhnhackl. As long as the puck is going into the net who cares who got the last touch? Not saying Benson is gonna be a ~20 point 4th liner like Krueger/Kuhnhackl but he sure as hell has a better chance of doing so next year than someone like Hamblin.

And as for throwing shade at Benson's linemates it's a completely different situation. Hamblin/Virtanen etc are usually botching chances that Benson sets up for them that wouldn't exist without Benson. Benson is botching chances he created for himself that most other players in camp wouldn't have seen the opportunity for in the first place. Even the botched breakaway from yesterday Benson made a smart read and cut across the ice to pick up the flip around the boards and get a breakaway most other players would not have been in position to receive. He just thinks the game at a higher level than the other tweeners pushing for the 13th forward spot.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Hopefully Campbell and Skinner have fine, healthy seasons because our goaltending depth chart beyond that this season is basically Pickard and then <insert great chasm here>.
You could say that about every team.

If any team in the league loses their starter and backup, they're kinda screwed. Look at Vegas last year.

Pickard is completely fine as a 3rd goalie in the depth chart and Fanti will get some time to develop.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Either one of Nemos; performances were better than Bros and for sake of consistency every one of Nemos' performances last season was better than Bro showed last night.

Its not even close. This no conclusive statement on Bro, just that he's not there yet and Nemo is showing an NHL game that is ready to unpack with intangibles we require.

Nemo is essentially our Stanley and was miles better than Stanley against the Jets. Why not use him?
Because his puck skills still need work. It’s pretty evident that they do. Games changed a bit now. If you don’t have decent puck skills, you won’t be playing as much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have a hard time giving anyone love right not to be honest. These are mickey mouse games.

About the only thing you can take out of it is when someone looks real bad game after game.

I agree when Studs said there is a lot of value having 8 games for the younger players, but as a fan there just isn't a lot to take out of these games. I agree with Haley and Gregor that as a paying fan 8 games is just ridiculous.

Because his puck skills still need work. It’s pretty evident that they do. Games changed a bit now. If you don’t have decent puck skills, you won’t be playing as much.
His timing with hits needs to improve from last year too. Standing guys up at the blueline is a very dangerous move in today's NHL, especially for a rookie.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I’d be banned the moment i stepped into HF leafs or HF flames to troll their fans. So I don’t. But apparently these rules don’t apply when trolling Oilers fans.
I find a lot of team boards are very hostile, even if you're not trolling. People wont agree with what you say so it means you must be a troll because how could people possibly try to talk about all teams and players when they root for one team in particular.

Reactions: oilers'72

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
This ignores that one goal Benson botched several scoring chances himself including a breakaway, a crease tap in, wide open look etc. I mean its kind of odd to state the player that never scores is being held back by guys like Hamblin/Virtanen that actually do score, and Hambln has scored goals here. Hamblin scored in game 1. Hamblin scored goals at prospects, He scored goals last preseason. Maybe Benson could work on producing a drop.

hamblin was doing fine with Holloway, Bourgault, etc. Alternately if Benson is the straw in any particular NHL game good luck with that. Because nothing is happening in that game. This was pretty much a specific lineup to get some stud out of Benson and he had what 6PP minutes? He was -1 on the PP.
Now why don't you approach Jesse in the same way?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looking forward, the next 2 games are against the Flames. (Wed/Fri).
I wonder when we get our first viewing of Campbell.
Needs to sell 1000 jerseys in store first. Like not his jersey needs to be sold, he needs to literally sell 1000

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What an odd reply. What does that have to do with anything I stated?

Me: Talking about prospects.

You: Yah but whaddyabout Jesse.

;)

ps jesse didn't even play in the game, you know, the topic of this thread.

You: But whattabout Jesse.

me: wut
Jesse flubbed all his shots too in the game prior, but that's ok? You went on quite a rant about Benson missing his chances...As a matter of fact with both their TOI, Benson's CF% Rel was higher than Jesse's overall wasn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesse flubbed all his shots too in the game prior, but that's ok? You went on quite a rant about Benson missing his chances...As a matter of fact with both their TOI, Benson's CF% Rel was higher than Jesse's overall wasn't it?

One is an established NHL player that has scored 50G and 100NHL pts. The other is a prospect, until recently a suspect that has 1G 1A in his entire NHL career and is the older player. lol

I fail to see how talking about Benson flubbing chance after chance is OT or equivalent given he was actually playing in the game and this is a post game thread.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with the stat or why you insist on doing it in yet another yet. Done yet?

Reactions: Barrsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad