Post-Game Talk: Zzzzz in Seattle

Which B player will make the team?

• Total voters

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think he is referring to broberg.

And yeah I would move them. In my mind broberg probably doesn't become better than chycrun, and if he does, not for a couple seasons.

Oilers need to win now.
What better defenseman could they aquire with that package?
Chychrun would be a good target but it would be tricky to make it work money-wise if Pulju is the only salary going back. Would the Yotes take Barrie going the other way? I’m not so sure. Also Barrie seems to be a glue guy in the locker room, and he’s a fine D when used in the right role.

I think the play might be Broberg + Puljujarvi + ??? for Sanheim. This assumes Philly doesn’t extend him, but that team is an absolute mess. It would keep our L/R shots even.

Nurse-Ceci
Sanheim-Bouchard
Kulak-Barrie

That looks like a pretty good group to me.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What a killers row of options. Yikes. Oh well.

Kinda feel sorry for Griffith and McKegg. Dream is done guys. These guys are exiting orbit. Not in a good way. Griffith has looked better before and going the wrong way.
Was a bit surprised with Griffith. I thought he looked good last year in a call up. Been ripping the AHL for awhile. I thought he deserved more games last year than he got. But the dude showed absolutely nothing yesterday.

Reactions: harpoon

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
McLeod
Kane
Hyman
Yamamoto
Puljujarvi

Foegele
Janmark
Holloway
Ryan

That’s pretty much the 12 forwards on the team. Have to beat one of those guys if you want to make it. Tough sledding for the bubble guys.
IMHO Holloway is etched in stone in the top 9.

The OTHER major caveat is that our cap shenanigans have to work with the 4th line.
McLovin might be waived simply as a cap casualty.

Especially considering that Woody likes running 11-7 which would help shelter Broberg.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whatever, Kraken fans should enjoy the win while they can cause eventually they will have to play an Oilers lineup that includes Dylan Holloway.
The cringe moments in the Seattle broadcast were all the times they were talking up who was missing in the Kraken lineup and how much better it will all be when they are dressing all their real players. They were saying stuff like that with hardly any notice at how silly it was. Oh we're missing Eberle on the PP. Oh jebus. Who are the Oilers missing?

the following players from the line-up last night that will take a regular shift in the NHL this year:
- Kailer Yamamoto
- Tyson Barrie

the rest are rookies, bubble players and career AHLers

nothingburger game and you can't gleam much from that game
Except the club had Janmark, Virtanen in the game who are vets the org showed interest in and one or more of which could be drawing in as well as Nemo who has been among our better D in the two games. Kesselring has been showing well too.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I'd like to see Broberg with more structure and better players. I think they have him pegged as the 3LD so it will take a lot for him to not make the roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ya but those guys ain't moving the needle offensively
Nemo scored a brilliant goal in game 1, he also belted 3 opponents and drove the Zamboni between periods. Whats he gotta do to get on the roster? Its been decades since I've seen a D make such an immediate statement. Holloway and Nemo are making huge statements about being on the roster. Sometime a team should listen to that.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I think everyone should settle down as to who should/shouldn't make the team. It was the 2nd game of the preseason. And was a back to back on the road.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The cringe moments in the Seattle broadcast were all the times they were talking up who was missing in the Kraken lineup and how much better it will all be when they are dressing all their real players. They were saying stuff like that with hardly any notice at how silly it was. Oh we're missing Eberle on the PP. Oh jebus. Who are the Oilers missing?
It was embarrassing. It’s a home broadcast and a certain amount of sunshine is expected. I get that. But they kept going back to talking about how great their lineup was going to be when they added the three guys they didn’t dress last night. It took them until the dying minutes of the game to kinda, sorta, acknowledge that the Oilers hadn’t brought their best club. The slobbering over Joey Daccord was kind of over the top too. Good luck to the young man and all, but he has one win in 11 NHL starts and personal stats that are nothing to jump up and down about.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
IMO Ryan > Janmark based on an extremely small sample size of 1 game. And Foegele > Janmark too.
Hmm, I thought Janmark was their best forward in the 1st period (not saying much, I know). I didn't watch much of the last two periods though so maybe he stunk it up after the 1st?
Can't really expect much from vets in preseason anyway. I'd like to see more from guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi who have something to prove.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Game was lame. Not much happening. Bad stream.

Yes it’s preseason and it means “nothing” except we get a look at some prospects. On that note, I Been waiting years for Broberg to impress me, what’s another couple of years I guess.
I feel the same way, I've seen a whole bunch of games from him now from WJC to SHL to AHL to NHL to Pentiction and I always come away "whelmed".

I know he's young and the book is just starting to be written on him but I never saw anything in his game that appeared markedly above average. He seems decent at a lot of things but not particularly good at any one thing, even the skating doesn't appear to be as explosive as it once was outside of a few flashes.

Like with Bouchard, you can see how high end his offensive instincts are and that shot is elite of the elite and most top D prospects you can see at least one standout skill that made them a top prospect but I've never seen any real skill from Broberg or particularly high IQ. I think he'll be a surefire NHLer but the ceiling is fairly modest IMO.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
oilseattle.jpeg

Holy crap... Wanner got reallllly lucky there that we didn't have another Richard Zednik/Clint Malarchuk situation.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Can safely send down Reid Schaefer - have barely noticed him in both games, not close yet and junior season is starting.

Pleasantly surprised by Luke Esposito's game tonight, it was good!

I will be in the minority by saying this but here goes...Broberg AND Niemelainen didn't really blow my mind today or anything. I still think that's an open race and honestly, Samorukov should be considered in the mix there.

I think there is value in Schaefer spending more time with NHL level players. Just being around McDavid and Draisaitl. Having physical battles with Kane or Nurse. Set the benchmark for what he needs to be able to do so he can go out and make sure he does it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If you're going by merit so far into camp both Niemelainen and Kesselring deserve a spot over Broberg.

Quality of competition needs to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was embarrassing. It’s a home broadcast and a certain amount of sunshine is expected. I get that. But they kept going back to talking about how great their lineup was going to be when they added the three guys they didn’t dress last night. It took them until the dying minutes of the game to kinda, sorta, acknowledge that the Oilers hadn’t brought their best club. The slobbering over Joey Daccord was kind of over the top too. Good luck to the young man and all, but he has one win in 11 NHL starts and personal stats that are nothing to jump up and down about.
Yep.

Sometimes I like out of town broadcasts at least for a different thing. This one was pretty homer for a last place club. Seemed like the Kraken had most of their starting D in the game as well. It was a game to be missed. Unfortunately I watched it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I like Jam Benson just fine these past 2 pre-season games, but the telling stat for me is still the 2 measly points in 29 games last season.

We need guys to score 10+ goals in our bottom 6 and Benson doesn't look like he has any ability to do that.

This isn't a Jujhar Khaira situation anymore. We can't litter our bottom 6 with players who bleed goals and can't score any.

I'd love to see the 'story' of hometown Benson overcoming difficult odds and reinventing himself to becoming an effective NHLer on a contending team.... but I'm not sure that's there.
He's generating great offensive chances these games whether it be his own shots or great feeds it's just his linemates like Virtanen/Hamblin etc are botching his setups and he's getting robbed. He looks visually way better offensively than 2 points in 30 games Benson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad