Zetterberg's career is over... So Sad

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can tell you Zetterberg doesn't think himself more deserving, and that's more closely related to the vein of the thread here, no? Whether either or neither of them go up before 91 or any other historical Wing is quite beside the point. I mean, do you think Zetterberg's career looks nearly as impressive if we swap out Datsyuk for Scott Gomez when Datsyuk was being singled out for Detroit's post-season disappointments, when Z put up 11 points and -6 in 22 playoff games in that same period? You're not sure why Zetterberg wouldn't want to give due credit to a player every bit as important to the team's success during their tenure as himself? What arbitrary cutoff is Hank going to whisper to himself in the mirror the morning before the ceremony to convince himself he deserves it more than his teammate and friend, besides his risking his own health to carry a sinking ship a couple seasons more? One of them played 1219 regular and post season games with the team, the other 1110. One collected 1080 points in those games, the other 1031. Neither of them won anything significant without the other, aside from Datsyuk's relatively impressive but mere-supporting role in 2002. They both sacrificed their bodies and gave as much as their bodies would let them every shift of every game. Basically one decent NHL player season's difference in terms of service to their team between them. That's some fine hair-splitting, laser precise. So if he accepts when there's any lingering doubt that Pavel's will ever go up, then in my opinion he really doesn't deserve the honor, if we're factoring stuff beyond on-ice performance into equation.

As for the Ilitches' concern, I'm sure it must seem quite sincere to forum posters who (I'll assume with confidence) don't personally know any of the people involved. But perhaps from Pavel's perspective, the concern was more for a business investment than a friend. Maybe he wisely kept from entangling his personal attachments with business arrangements. Maybe his youth of poverty colored his perception of the dynamics of the relationship, making it easier for him to pull the plug on his employment. It's just really interesting how people seem so concerned with the feelings of the billionaires here, who weren't above dangling the possibility of franchise relocation and a bunch of blue-collar jobs over Detroit/Michigan in order to negotiate for and secure millions of state funds for their fancy new arena which they could have easily financed themselves, etc., etc.. Yeah, the Ilitches are (were at least?) better sports owners than most, but I think a recalibration is needed to remove some of the romance afforded them when they are far from innocent of treating relationships very callously when it suits their needs.

Your assumption that he needs to feel guilty about the honor is an interesting one. Do you think Stevie and Lidstrom beat themselves up over Fedorov's absence? Why aren't Lindsay and Delvecchio going ballistic over Kelly's absence?

You don't turn down the honor. He earned it, Zetterberg doesn't need to weep in the mirror. Naming him and saying you look forward to his jersey night might be his best play. You can say he should make a case in private to the Ilitch's as my guess is that would work better in order to get his friend the same honor as well. I wish him luck and I say honestly I think Pavel will need that.

You're flip flopping all over the place in terms of compassion for some and not others, billionaires are lesser human beings? They cannot feel betrayed, they cannot make choices after they pump hundreds of millions of dollars into something? Are they all greedy and up to no good? I am so tired of the stadium argument, whip yourselves into a frenzy, how terrible downtown Detroit has a state of the art arena paid for at the state level by earmarked funds and took blocks that have been a disaster my entire life and put something on it.. Sorry I don't buy it, but I realize economists will say there is no benefit. I find that interesting since Indianapolis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh all used stadium districts in their rust-belt rebuilds but apparently the numbers aren't favorable. I am not sure why they should feel obligated to retire some dudes jersey over it and how that applies. Because you know hey they also helped line Datsyuk's pockets with over 70 million dollar in contracts, might impact how that feels no?

Pavel tried to go back on the contract basically as soon as the ink was dry. Again we know more about this than is being alluded to here. Also, sorry we spent years lauding Pavel as an intellectual because well he is one. For him to play the idiot at the end and that he didn't understand and announce it entering a lifeless end to the season and miserable playoffs was frankly insulting to people that had known him a while. He betrayed them and quite frankly I agree with the stance, I wouldn't put it up either when really pushed on it if I was the Ilitch family. Root for him all you want, I wouldn't be against it going up, but I don't have the argument for it that I have for Fedorov. He walked on a signed deal to go make more money tax free and is still playing in Russia where he could have finished the deal and got his Russian sendoff. If it was to be home and with his family the dude should of retired flat out because he was already in a binding agreement with another entity that spent years taking care of him. I wish the league had fought that with Datsyuk and Kovy and I have made no secret about it. I will be very critical of Hank if he signs in Sweden and tries to play while under contract.

Also I wouldn't necessarily assume that people don't know some of the parties involved around here... The decisions you make in life have consequences. Pavel made a total mess of his departure and it might mean #13 never hits the rafters. He was a special talent I enjoyed watching all of his games only time will tell what they do with that, but I don't think there are huge odds on it while the Ilitch family owns the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fynn

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Your assumption that he needs to feel guilty about the honor is an interesting one. Do you think Stevie and Lidstrom beat themselves up over Fedorov's absence? Why aren't Lindsay and Delvecchio going ballistic over Kelly's absence?

You don't turn down the honor. He earned it, Zetterberg doesn't need to weep in the mirror. Naming him and saying you look forward to his jersey night might be his best play. You can say he should make a case in private to the Ilitch's as my guess is that would work better in order to get his friend the same honor as well. I wish him luck and I say honestly I think Pavel will need that.

You're flip flopping all over the place in terms of compassion for some and not others, billionaires are lesser human beings? They cannot feel betrayed, they cannot make choices after they pump hundreds of millions of dollars into something? Are they all greedy and up to no good? I am so tired of the stadium argument, whip yourselves into a frenzy, how terrible downtown Detroit has a state of the art arena paid for at the state level by earmarked funds and took blocks that have been a disaster my entire life and put something on it.. Sorry I don't buy it, but I realize economists will say there is no benefit. I find that interesting since Indianapolis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh all used stadium districts in their rust-belt rebuilds but apparently the numbers aren't favorable. I am not sure why they should feel obligated to retire some dudes jersey over it and how that applies. Because you know hey they also helped line Datsyuk's pockets with over 70 million dollar in contracts, might impact how that feels no?

Pavel tried to go back on the contract basically as soon as the ink was dry. Again we know more about this than is being alluded to here. Also, sorry we spent years lauding Pavel as an intellectual because well he is one. For him to play the idiot at the end and that he didn't understand and announce it entering a lifeless end to the season and miserable playoffs was frankly insulting to people that had known him a while. He betrayed them and quite frankly I agree with the stance, I wouldn't put it up either when really pushed on it if I was the Ilitch family. Root for him all you want, I wouldn't be against it going up, but I don't have the argument for it that I have for Fedorov. He walked on a signed deal to go make more money tax free and is still playing in Russia where he could have finished the deal and got his Russian sendoff. If it was to be home and with his family the dude should of retired flat out because he was already in a binding agreement with another entity that spent years taking care of him. I wish the league had fought that with Datsyuk and Kovy and I have made no secret about it. I will be very critical of Hank if he signs in Sweden and tries to play while under contract.

Also I wouldn't necessarily assume that people don't know some of the parties involved around here... The decisions you make in life have consequences. Pavel made a total mess of his departure and it might mean #13 never hits the rafters. He was a special talent I enjoyed watching all of his games only time will tell what they do with that, but I don't think there are huge odds on it while the Ilitch family owns the team.

Stadium brought up only to demonstrate ownership leveraging your loyalty and sentimentality to their business to increase their profit margin, never indicated whether I thought it was a worthwhile investment of public funds or not, not the thread for it.

Never indicated anywhere in either of my posts that wealthy individuals aren't entitled to their feelings, only that it was perplexing to me why so many feel the need to constantly and vehemently defend their seeming lack of generosity and forgiveness for a player who helped them, as you rightly point out, earn a lot of money in their time together, (money the Ilitches' probably didn't need nearly as much, however). If they're as great a people as they're often characterized (as I have myself), maybe they should be more charitable towards Pavel then, even if they're still bugged about how things went down. Because that's what adults who have been blessed with financial stability and relative family health should probably do, morally speaking. Maybe as considerably fortunate fans, we should be too. Let's also not forget Pavel's own efforts to give back to his community, since apparently the Ilitch family gets extra credit for it.

Also wondering more and more, since the word keeps coming up, what's so honorable about the ceremony if it boils down to the arbitrary mindset of the people holding the pocketbook, rather than some standard that should exceed human pettiness? Ilitches can decide who names the stadium, and what the uniform looks like, and which pyramid schemes they want to entangle themselves with for a few extra bucks on branding deals, I guess? But should they get total dominion over the history, recent or distant, of the franchise? I'm not so sure.

And if we're so concerned, again, with loyalty and character, then yeah, maybe Yzerman and Lidstrom should have told the Ilitches to f*** off for Fed's sake. It does, now that you mention it, strike as a bit selfish and unbecoming, a minor flaw in their upstanding natures, to wallow in a night of praise while an equally deserving if flawed teammate is left out in the cold for an indiscretion arising as a complication of the financial aspects of the business they're all involved. Seems great men and leaders should be above that, huh? It's almost like people don't do the very rightest moral thing all the time, every moment of their lives. Or even have the wherewithal to consider the philosophical and practical implications of these choices in the chaos of their day-to-day lives.

But in the thread here we're painting a very idealistic portrait of a player as the deciding evidence of his worthiness for a certain distinction which you're arguing now he need not live up, to retain that worthiness, while holding a single mistake by another as the barricade to that distinction, a distinction that now seems pathetically arbitrary and poisoned by the petulance of a bunch of spoiled brats who invest far too much of their personal identity in a fun but meaningless diversion. My assumption on how Zetterberg should approach the situation is only concerned with establishing a consistency in the moral and logical arguments being thrown around, so I restate it: if Zetterberg is the man we want to believe he is, who sacrifices personal glory for team and teammate, and that is the only distinguishing characteristic between them that makes him more worthy than Datsyuk, then how can he accept said glory without certainty that his equally important teammate gets his moment too, without undermining the sole trait that awards him the franchise's favor over the other? And why would you accept it if he did, if perfection of character is the hill you long to die on? Aside from the forgivable reality that we're not perfect and none of us can live up to high standards all the time. I mean, I've already conceded the reality that the Ilitches can do whatever they please, whether I agree or not. But in no way does that making a convincing argument that Zetterberg deserves the "honor" more than Datsyuk by any rational metric, and does not absolve Zetterberg of the responsibility of the ideal we've now constructed around him. For the sake of argument, Pavel may not even deserve Hank's loyalty in making a such stand, but Hank, being The Captain, has to make that stand, even if he himself felt deeply wounded by Datsyuk's poorly handled departure, because that is what great leaders do, and that is apparently what we're now hanging his worthiness of the distinction over Datsyuk upon.

If he fails to live up to that standard, which he probably will, I will think a bit less of him in this particular context--not the great leader of irreproachable character after all. A really good one, but not Perfect, and so not fully worthy, based on the criteria put forth here. Probably sets out a nice chunk of his acceptance speech to Pavel, that's nice of him, but it will all ring so hollow, as will the protestations of the loyalty-drum beaters who overlook huge lapses in the standard when they're white knighting for the Ilitch family, or whomever. But I'll forgive him, as I did Datsyuk for bailing. As I did the Ilitches, for playing a game of chicken with their fanbase over a little development money. Not like I'm perfect, wasn't blessed to be talented enough or with a work ethic strong enough to overcome that lack of talent to be good enough or rich enough at anything where I'd find myself in a similar position. I'd like to think though if I was honored for something I did with equal contribution from a friend/co-worker that I'd be big enough to make sure they got their due too, even if things soured at the very end, even at the cost of sacrificing my own parade. Or if I was a super wealthy sort with a sports franchise with a player that brought me a lot of joy and money, I could handle it with grace and dignity and forgiveness if said player clumsily severed the relationship, and give him one last hurrah on the company dime, because the value of the relationship should be more than its ending, if it was anything more than business at all. Thankfully, no one's holding ME to the standard. But, Zetterberg took up the mantle on his end, and must now mount the scale to be measured by an emergent standard of bored forum posters wielding clumsy arguments and precious feelings for supremacy. Only as I think I've exhaustively demonstrated over three mind-numbingly long posts now that one side has a very variable strength of standard depending on who it is applied to, and that in evoking an argument of unrelenting moral consistency, Zetterberg cannot accept the honor before acquiring certainty of Datsyuk's ceremony, without invalidating the pivotal component of that argument. No non-sequitors about urban restoration and personal anecdotes counters that logic. The standard weighs the same all the time, or it weighs nothing.

I won't begrudge you the human element, you can feel betrayed, the Ilitches can feel betrayed. But I don't think you can deny after a certain amount of time it seems to look more childish than noble, to bear a grudge stemming from a frivolous business interest. It's a poor look for people who have so much, to be so pent up over so little.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I can tell you Zetterberg doesn't think himself more deserving, and that's more closely related to the vein of the thread here, no? Whether either or neither of them go up before 91 or any other historical Wing is quite beside the point. I mean, do you think Zetterberg's career looks nearly as impressive if we swap out Datsyuk for Scott Gomez when Datsyuk was being singled out for Detroit's post-season disappointments, when Z put up 11 points and -6 in 22 playoff games in that same period? You're not sure why Zetterberg wouldn't want to give due credit to a player every bit as important to the team's success during their tenure as himself? What arbitrary cutoff is Hank going to whisper to himself in the mirror the morning before the ceremony to convince himself he deserves it more than his teammate and friend, besides his risking his own health to carry a sinking ship a couple seasons more? One of them played 1219 regular and post season games with the team, the other 1110. One collected 1080 points in those games, the other 1031. Neither of them won anything significant without the other, aside from Datsyuk's relatively impressive but mere-supporting role in 2002. They both sacrificed their bodies and gave as much as their bodies would let them every shift of every game. Basically one decent NHL player season's difference in terms of service to their team between them. That's some fine hair-splitting, laser precise. So if he accepts when there's any lingering doubt that Pavel's will ever go up, then in my opinion he really doesn't deserve the honor, if we're factoring stuff beyond on-ice performance into equation.

As for the Ilitches' concern, I'm sure it must seem quite sincere to forum posters who (I'll assume with confidence) don't personally know any of the people involved. But perhaps from Pavel's perspective, the concern was more for a business investment than a friend. Maybe he wisely kept from entangling his personal attachments with business arrangements. Maybe his youth of poverty colored his perception of the dynamics of the relationship, making it easier for him to pull the plug on his employment. It's just really interesting how people seem so concerned with the feelings of the billionaires here, who weren't above dangling the possibility of franchise relocation and a bunch of blue-collar jobs over Detroit/Michigan in order to negotiate for and secure millions of state funds for their fancy new arena which they could have easily financed themselves, etc., etc.. Yeah, the Ilitches are (were at least?) better sports owners than most, but I think a recalibration is needed to remove some of the romance afforded them when they are far from innocent of treating relationships very callously when it suits their needs.

There is literally no need for Zetterberg to hitch his jersey retirement wagon to Pavel Datsyuk.

If they go up reasonably close in time, it would be a coincidence, not whatever else. He will give Datsyuk "due credit" by talking about how much playing with him meant. How much it was great being the Eurotwins. He's not going to hold off a jersey retirement because the Red Wings don't want to put Datsyuk's jersey up there too.

I mean, I get it. I loved Datsyuk and Fedorov as players too... but jersey retirements aren't just for players who had amazing stat lines or Hall of Famers. They're for guys that the team wants to honor. And while it might seem petty to you, a guy like Fedorov holding out for 2/3rds of the season to then sign an offer sheet with the owner's sworn rival is going to stick in the craw of management.

Datsyuk signed a 3 year deal (and from what I remember reading was pushing with Dan Milstein for a 5 year deal) at the point a long term deal became immovable and basically spent the first two years of the deal trying his best to get out of it. Hell, he would have left a year earlier if the Wings hadn't threatened to toll his contract.

You're complaining about the "romanticized" view of ownership but somehow a guy who has rightfully earned the respect and apparently is in line for the ultimate respect of a jersey retirement should put the breaks on the celebration because his teammate who essentially held the team hostage by his actions (Not maliciously. I think Pavel just wanted to go home... but his actions made things very difficult on the Wings for a bit there. If Chychrun hadn't dropped, I don't think Arizona tries taking on that contract.)

Zetterberg's jersey retirement argument is wholly separate from Pavel Datsyuk. Zetterberg "not seeing himself as more deserving" is neither here nor there. That's not the type of person that Zetterberg has been shown to be throughout his career. He was a team-first guy and I'm sure he'd give all the credit in the world to Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski, Kronwall, Osgood, etc. before taking it for himself. But that doesn't mean that he somehow should put the Wings plans for retiring his jersey on hold for some sort of solidarity with Datsyuk because "he wouldn't have had a good career without him" That's inane.

And to summarize, people are worried about the "feelings of the billionaires" because the billionaires are the ones that make the damn choice to retire a player's jersey or not. You're not entitled to your jersey being retired if you potted 1000 points. If you've done something that the team thinks that you are a jackass for doing... you don't get your jersey retired, whether some subsection of the fanbase thinks that that is wrong.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Stadium brought up only to demonstrate ownership leveraging your loyalty and sentimentality to their business to increase their profit margin, never indicated whether I thought it was a worthwhile investment of public funds or not, not the thread for it.

Never indicated anywhere in either of my posts that wealthy individuals aren't entitled to their feelings, only that it was perplexing to me why so many feel the need to constantly and vehemently defend their seeming lack of generosity and forgiveness for a player who helped them, as you rightly point out, earn a lot of money in their time together, (money the Ilitches' probably didn't need nearly as much, however). If they're as great a people as they're often characterized (as I have myself), maybe they should be more charitable towards Pavel then, even if they're still bugged about how things went down. Because that's what adults who have been blessed with financial stability and relative family health should probably do, morally speaking. Maybe as considerably fortunate fans, we should be too. Let's also not forget Pavel's own efforts to give back to his community, since apparently the Ilitch family gets extra credit for it.

Also wondering more and more, since the word keeps coming up, what's so honorable about the ceremony if it boils down to the arbitrary mindset of the people holding the pocketbook, rather than some standard that should exceed human pettiness? Ilitches can decide who names the stadium, and what the uniform looks like, and which pyramid schemes they want to entangle themselves with for a few extra bucks on branding deals, I guess? But should they get total dominion over the history, recent or distant, of the franchise? I'm not so sure.

And if we're so concerned, again, with loyalty and character, then yeah, maybe Yzerman and Lidstrom should have told the Ilitches to **** off for Fed's sake. It does, now that you mention it, strike as a bit selfish and unbecoming, a minor flaw in their upstanding natures, to wallow in a night of praise while an equally deserving if flawed teammate is left out in the cold for an indiscretion arising as a complication of the financial aspects of the business they're all involved. Seems great men and leaders should be above that, huh? It's almost like people don't do the very rightest moral thing all the time, every moment of their lives. Or even have the wherewithal to consider the philosophical and practical implications of these choices in the chaos of their day-to-day lives.

But in the thread here we're painting a very idealistic portrait of a player as the deciding evidence of his worthiness for a certain distinction which you're arguing now he need not live up, to retain that worthiness, while holding a single mistake by another as the barricade to that distinction, a distinction that now seems pathetically arbitrary and poisoned by the petulance of a bunch of spoiled brats who invest far too much of their personal identity in a fun but meaningless diversion. My assumption on how Zetterberg should approach the situation is only concerned with establishing a consistency in the moral and logical arguments being thrown around, so I restate it: if Zetterberg is the man we want to believe he is, who sacrifices personal glory for team and teammate, and that is the only distinguishing characteristic between them that makes him more worthy than Datsyuk, then how can he accept said glory without certainty that his equally important teammate gets his moment too, without undermining the sole trait that awards him the franchise's favor over the other? And why would you accept it if he did, if perfection of character is the hill you long to die on? Aside from the forgivable reality that we're not perfect and none of us can live up to high standards all the time. I mean, I've already conceded the reality that the Ilitches can do whatever they please, whether I agree or not. But in no way does that making a convincing argument that Zetterberg deserves the "honor" more than Datsyuk by any rational metric, and does not absolve Zetterberg of the responsibility of the ideal we've now constructed around him. For the sake of argument, Pavel may not even deserve Hank's loyalty in making a such stand, but Hank, being The Captain, has to make that stand, even if he himself felt deeply wounded by Datsyuk's poorly handled departure, because that is what great leaders do, and that is apparently what we're now hanging his worthiness of the distinction over Datsyuk upon.

If he fails to live up to that standard, which he probably will, I will think a bit less of him in this particular context--not the great leader of irreproachable character after all. A really good one, but not Perfect, and so not fully worthy, based on the criteria put forth here. Probably sets out a nice chunk of his acceptance speech to Pavel, that's nice of him, but it will all ring so hollow, as will the protestations of the loyalty-drum beaters who overlook huge lapses in the standard when they're white knighting for the Ilitch family, or whomever. But I'll forgive him, as I did Datsyuk for bailing. As I did the Ilitches, for playing a game of chicken with their fanbase over a little development money. Not like I'm perfect, wasn't blessed to be talented enough or with a work ethic strong enough to overcome that lack of talent to be good enough or rich enough at anything where I'd find myself in a similar position. I'd like to think though if I was honored for something I did with equal contribution from a friend/co-worker that I'd be big enough to make sure they got their due too, even if things soured at the very end, even at the cost of sacrificing my own parade. Or if I was a super wealthy sort with a sports franchise with a player that brought me a lot of joy and money, I could handle it with grace and dignity and forgiveness if said player clumsily severed the relationship, and give him one last hurrah on the company dime, because the value of the relationship should be more than its ending, if it was anything more than business at all. Thankfully, no one's holding ME to the standard. But, Zetterberg took up the mantle on his end, and must now mount the scale to be measured by an emergent standard of bored forum posters wielding clumsy arguments and precious feelings for supremacy. Only as I think I've exhaustively demonstrated over three mind-numbingly long posts now that one side has a very variable strength of standard depending on who it is applied to, and that in evoking an argument of unrelenting moral consistency, Zetterberg cannot accept the honor before acquiring certainty of Datsyuk's ceremony, without invalidating the pivotal component of that argument. No non-sequitors about urban restoration and personal anecdotes counters that logic. The standard weighs the same all the time, or it weighs nothing.

I won't begrudge you the human element, you can feel betrayed, the Ilitches can feel betrayed. But I don't think you can deny after a certain amount of time it seems to look more childish than noble, to bear a grudge stemming from a frivolous business interest. It's a poor look for people who have so much, to be so pent up over so little.

No, what you've shown over these long posts is how pedantic and ludicrous your argument is.

The owner should absolutely hold total dominion over the history of their franchise. They quite literally own it.

Henrik Zetterberg's prospective jersey retirement has precisely nothing to do with Datsyuk having his retired or not. And Z, at the retirement, is certainly going to include a likely very long section of it devoted to playing with Datsyuk and the impact he had. It won't ring hollow. It will be the heartfelt words of a teammate and, despite not knowing them personally to verify this, I'd imagine a close friend.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
No, what you've shown over these long posts is how pedantic and ludicrous your argument is.

The owner should absolutely hold total dominion over the history of their franchise. They quite literally own it.

Henrik Zetterberg's prospective jersey retirement has precisely nothing to do with Datsyuk having his retired or not. And Z, at the retirement, is certainly going to include a likely very long section of it devoted to playing with Datsyuk and the impact he had. It won't ring hollow. It will be the heartfelt words of a teammate and, despite not knowing them personally to verify this, I'd imagine a close friend.

So then I'll try once more, hopefully in a more compact form. First the premise I take issue with: despite their largely equal on-ice contributions, one is more worthy of a particular distinction than the other, based on x, x being an ideal of loyalty. In the thread, loyalty is an elevated variable, so it's worth examining more closely. But there is vertical loyalty, employer/employee, and there is horizontal loyalty, teammate/teammate. One should probably not be more or less important than the other, for the particular type of person we're arguing about, and the argument we're making in his favor. If they are to be unbalanced, then if anything the horizontal should carry more weight, since how can you trust loyalty that is bought? But ignore the distinction for now. So if this person of irreproachable character throws his other half, whose career success he owes a large debt to, under the bus (or more accurately just stands there while a bus runs him over), whether that teammate deserves it or not, then said person is really not that type of person he's being painted as, and isn't any more deserving of the honor than the other, if that is the argument we're using to distinguish their worthiness. The ideal is, of course, as you rightly point out, absurd. But Z's moral superiority is supposed to trump Datsyuk's in this particular discussion. And their entangled careers and the method of disentangling them seems particularly pertinent to those who brought it up, it's their whole argument for Z before D. But without equal application to all the parties involved, it doesn't really carry water. It doesn't account for the entirety of the ideal.

And let me be clear, I'm not bashing the Ilitches here, despite my suspicions over the reflexive compulsion to defend their honor in this matter. I can understand any feeling of rebuke they incurred in the dissolution, even if I think its overblown from a healthy, uninvolved distance and their continuing to bear any hostility for much longer would be a detriment to their respectability, which I already have few delusions about. Nevertheless, I understand they did and do a lot for the city of Detroit, even if one could find fault in the tact they've taken in some of their endeavors in amassing and leveraging their clout, but that evokes strong feelings, particularly to the citizens of the city who have benefited. I conceded it's all at the mercy of their will in any case. I am, again, only mildly obsessed with the sloppiness of the application of the standard of what is being held up as a rigid metric, regarding what we mean by loyalty. The owners haven't always maintained their own standard, so if we ignore it for them, we have to ignore it for Datsyuk. If we apply it evenly across the board, then Z-before-D doesn't hold up to rigorous logic. Z betrays the ideal, the argument that Team Z is using to vault him ahead of D, the moment he accepts the honor before he's certain his partner and friend, to whom he owes considerable portion of his success (and vice versa, obviously, but not of importance to the argument), is afforded the same. Even if Dats might not deserve such loyalty, even if Z justly deserves his moment of "selfish" basking in celebration of his part in the success they garnered together. But at the end of the day it's a similar betrayal of the High Ideal. You can argue a manner of degrees, conceded, but in converting from a binary to spectrum, the argument is consumed by a squabble over the subjective jockeying over at which point can we draw the cutoff. If total loyalty is no longer the minimum threshold, than what's just loyal enough? It just makes the distinction look that much more petty and subjective.

Now, if all that really counts in this discussion is one-way vertical loyalty, player to owner, then I submit Osgood for the honor above any of them. He got kicked to the curb by the franchise when Hasek smiled our way; Ilitch valued another Cup over one of his loyal employees. Maybe we should see some hands, who was ready to burn down the Joe over it? What? No one? But loyalty! Ah loyalty--that soldier came back, for peanuts, a fraction of his real value to the team over the next few years, played his heart out for us, won another Cup for sweet ol Mr. I. and the City of Detroit, deserved a Conn Smythe in 09, second all time in team wins, and pretty much every other franchise goaltending category. And he'd feel ridiculous for having his number retired before any of them, probably wouldn't accept it. A guy who felt so bad about losing a playoff series in his youth he wept in the locker room afterwards, because he felt he let his teammates and employer down. And was ridiculed for it by a lot of fans. And eventually won some respect. But probably less than he deserves. That strikes me as a narratively compelling display of character, worthy of what we're crediting to Zetterberg here. None of them could be argued with any sincerity as being the greatest players in franchise history anyway, but a) overall skill seems less important in this particular evaluation, and b) placed in context together, Osgood isn't really so far off, in terms of career accomplishments, especially compared with Z. Zetterberg, briefly had an okay argument as the best of his position in the league, Dats somewhat more so, but other than that I wouldn't say there is a gulf between them, in terms of what they gave to the franchise. Z has his Smythe, but again Osgood deserved one. Yet according to our nebulous standard we're testing here, he doesn't get serious consideration at all, Datsyuk gets a maybe, someday, with an if and a but, while Z is the lock. Even though D was probably a slightly better player statistically speaking, certainly in terms of absolute skill by a small margin, and O was at least as dedicated, while not being thousands or even hundreds of miles behind in terms of impact and value, particularly for a good portion of his second stint.

And yeah, okay, I'm having a little fun in the absolutism of it all. I get a little carried away. I know Zetterberg will mean everything he says about every teammate he played with, he'll be humble and gracious. And Datysuk will be there and tell a funny joke in broken english, and express similar sentiments as best he can, and there will be laughter and tears and hugs. It's all fine, in the realm of reality, where things aren't perfect but life goes on. Neither of them or any of us will lose much sleep over it, if Datysuk doesn't get his number up in the rafters of an arena he never played in thousands of miles away from his home. But here in the land of pseudo-intellectual dissertations on the applied metrics pertaining to number retirement, where we pretend to reason and objectivity in the construction of our elaborate cases for and against, it doesn't seem egregious of me to question how fairly our standards are being meted out. Though again, I do so long-windedly, with apologies. But I'd like to feel it's out of respect to the adversarial position, and for the people related to the subject, to articulate my objection to full extent as best as I am able. We're all entitled to feel how we feel, you think Z deserves it more because your feelings, that's cool. You don't really have to explain that, it's valid human emotion. My own personal belief is they should go up together, or not at all. But we can't use a ridiculously narrow and subjective and messy application of an abstract concept like loyalty as the sole logical linchpin of an attempt to promote those feelings to the the authority of Sound Logic and win at the internet, without being criticized and challenged on it.

And, it begs the question again, if feelings are the only true deciding factor here, if all the logical posturing we engage is pointless (doing my fair share here), and it's ultimately just a popularity contest with the owners as judge supreme, then what is the honor really worth, to us? We get no vote or say in it, so why does it matter? But it was our money too once, what the I's poured into the franchise. If public funds are involved at all at the city or state level, shouldn't citizens have some say in what hangs in the rafters of the building we paid for, at least in part? Even if we don't get to say who can wear what number, it seems a somewhat more meaningful display of respect in the grand scheme than the current arrangement. Why not put it on the ballot at election time? And why don't similarly loyal, if less-skilled soldiers get their numbers raised, if they gave everything they had, for the greatness of the team, and the owner feels warm and fuzzy about them? That's kind of a dick thing to hold over them, that they weren't blessed with the convergence of genetics and opportunity that makes an Yzerman or a Lidstrom. The Drapers, Proberts, McCartys, etc gave as much relatively, and suffered more for it, I'd say. Some say it's a high standard; I used to think so too, but in picking it apart like this, it's really not. It's really not much of anything. More a silly lie we use to try to elevate our fandom to a make-believe moral high ground to lord over the inferior franchises. It suddenly feels cultish and stupid to me, which isn't to dissuade or demean those who hold it in more esteem. As our feelings, so to our games and diversions, our artificial constructs, our hierarchies and lists, and jersey number retirements. But I find here after a million and one unsolicited words on the subject, I have no enthusiasm left for it any of it. So maybe it's time to agree to disagree, go back to adulating the retiring hero.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You mind truncating your posts a bit? I feel like your point is going to get lost in the weeds if you put so much out there at once like you are doing.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Well, I’ll just share my thoughts on whether or not I believe Z’s number should be retired or not.

Abso-friggin-lutely.

I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened this year or next simply due to the lack of celebration for him last season. His retirement just... happened... unfortunately.

I at least think he’ll get a proper sendoff this season; a ceremony if you will - in which will setup his retirement night in the future.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
So then I'll try once more, hopefully in a more compact form. First the premise I take issue with: despite their largely equal on-ice contributions, one is more worthy of a particular distinction than the other, based on x, x being an ideal of loyalty. In the thread, loyalty is an elevated variable, so it's worth examining more closely. But there is vertical loyalty, employer/employee, and there is horizontal loyalty, teammate/teammate. One should probably not be more or less important than the other, for the particular type of person we're arguing about, and the argument we're making in his favor. If they are to be unbalanced, then if anything the horizontal should carry more weight, since how can you trust loyalty that is bought? But ignore the distinction for now. So if this person of irreproachable character throws his other half, whose career success he owes a large debt to, under the bus (or more accurately just stands there while a bus runs him over), whether that teammate deserves it or not, then said person is really not that type of person he's being painted as, and isn't any more deserving of the honor than the other, if that is the argument we're using to distinguish their worthiness. The ideal is, of course, as you rightly point out, absurd. But Z's moral superiority is supposed to trump Datsyuk's in this particular discussion. And their entangled careers and the method of disentangling them seems particularly pertinent to those who brought it up, it's their whole argument for Z before D. But without equal application to all the parties involved, it doesn't really carry water. It doesn't account for the entirety of the ideal.

And let me be clear, I'm not bashing the Ilitches here, despite my suspicions over the reflexive compulsion to defend their honor in this matter. I can understand any feeling of rebuke they incurred in the dissolution, even if I think its overblown from a healthy, uninvolved distance and their continuing to bear any hostility for much longer would be a detriment to their respectability, which I already have few delusions about. Nevertheless, I understand they did and do a lot for the city of Detroit, even if one could find fault in the tact they've taken in some of their endeavors in amassing and leveraging their clout, but that evokes strong feelings, particularly to the citizens of the city who have benefited. I conceded it's all at the mercy of their will in any case. I am, again, only mildly obsessed with the sloppiness of the application of the standard of what is being held up as a rigid metric, regarding what we mean by loyalty. The owners haven't always maintained their own standard, so if we ignore it for them, we have to ignore it for Datsyuk. If we apply it evenly across the board, then Z-before-D doesn't hold up to rigorous logic. Z betrays the ideal, the argument that Team Z is using to vault him ahead of D, the moment he accepts the honor before he's certain his partner and friend, to whom he owes considerable portion of his success (and vice versa, obviously, but not of importance to the argument), is afforded the same. Even if Dats might not deserve such loyalty, even if Z justly deserves his moment of "selfish" basking in celebration of his part in the success they garnered together. But at the end of the day it's a similar betrayal of the High Ideal. You can argue a manner of degrees, conceded, but in converting from a binary to spectrum, the argument is consumed by a squabble over the subjective jockeying over at which point can we draw the cutoff. If total loyalty is no longer the minimum threshold, than what's just loyal enough? It just makes the distinction look that much more petty and subjective.

Now, if all that really counts in this discussion is one-way vertical loyalty, player to owner, then I submit Osgood for the honor above any of them. He got kicked to the curb by the franchise when Hasek smiled our way; Ilitch valued another Cup over one of his loyal employees. Maybe we should see some hands, who was ready to burn down the Joe over it? What? No one? But loyalty! Ah loyalty--that soldier came back, for peanuts, a fraction of his real value to the team over the next few years, played his heart out for us, won another Cup for sweet ol Mr. I. and the City of Detroit, deserved a Conn Smythe in 09, second all time in team wins, and pretty much every other franchise goaltending category. And he'd feel ridiculous for having his number retired before any of them, probably wouldn't accept it. A guy who felt so bad about losing a playoff series in his youth he wept in the locker room afterwards, because he felt he let his teammates and employer down. And was ridiculed for it by a lot of fans. And eventually won some respect. But probably less than he deserves. That strikes me as a narratively compelling display of character, worthy of what we're crediting to Zetterberg here. None of them could be argued with any sincerity as being the greatest players in franchise history anyway, but a) overall skill seems less important in this particular evaluation, and b) placed in context together, Osgood isn't really so far off, in terms of career accomplishments, especially compared with Z. Zetterberg, briefly had an okay argument as the best of his position in the league, Dats somewhat more so, but other than that I wouldn't say there is a gulf between them, in terms of what they gave to the franchise. Z has his Smythe, but again Osgood deserved one. Yet according to our nebulous standard we're testing here, he doesn't get serious consideration at all, Datsyuk gets a maybe, someday, with an if and a but, while Z is the lock. Even though D was probably a slightly better player statistically speaking, certainly in terms of absolute skill by a small margin, and O was at least as dedicated, while not being thousands or even hundreds of miles behind in terms of impact and value, particularly for a good portion of his second stint.

And yeah, okay, I'm having a little fun in the absolutism of it all. I get a little carried away. I know Zetterberg will mean everything he says about every teammate he played with, he'll be humble and gracious. And Datysuk will be there and tell a funny joke in broken english, and express similar sentiments as best he can, and there will be laughter and tears and hugs. It's all fine, in the realm of reality, where things aren't perfect but life goes on. Neither of them or any of us will lose much sleep over it, if Datysuk doesn't get his number up in the rafters of an arena he never played in thousands of miles away from his home. But here in the land of pseudo-intellectual dissertations on the applied metrics pertaining to number retirement, where we pretend to reason and objectivity in the construction of our elaborate cases for and against, it doesn't seem egregious of me to question how fairly our standards are being meted out. Though again, I do so long-windedly, with apologies. But I'd like to feel it's out of respect to the adversarial position, and for the people related to the subject, to articulate my objection to full extent as best as I am able. We're all entitled to feel how we feel, you think Z deserves it more because your feelings, that's cool. You don't really have to explain that, it's valid human emotion. My own personal belief is they should go up together, or not at all. But we can't use a ridiculously narrow and subjective and messy application of an abstract concept like loyalty as the sole logical linchpin of an attempt to promote those feelings to the the authority of Sound Logic and win at the internet, without being criticized and challenged on it.

And, it begs the question again, if feelings are the only true deciding factor here, if all the logical posturing we engage is pointless (doing my fair share here), and it's ultimately just a popularity contest with the owners as judge supreme, then what is the honor really worth, to us? We get no vote or say in it, so why does it matter? But it was our money too once, what the I's poured into the franchise. If public funds are involved at all at the city or state level, shouldn't citizens have some say in what hangs in the rafters of the building we paid for, at least in part? Even if we don't get to say who can wear what number, it seems a somewhat more meaningful display of respect in the grand scheme than the current arrangement. Why not put it on the ballot at election time? And why don't similarly loyal, if less-skilled soldiers get their numbers raised, if they gave everything they had, for the greatness of the team, and the owner feels warm and fuzzy about them? That's kind of a dick thing to hold over them, that they weren't blessed with the convergence of genetics and opportunity that makes an Yzerman or a Lidstrom. The Drapers, Proberts, McCartys, etc gave as much relatively, and suffered more for it, I'd say. Some say it's a high standard; I used to think so too, but in picking it apart like this, it's really not. It's really not much of anything. More a silly lie we use to try to elevate our fandom to a make-believe moral high ground to lord over the inferior franchises. It suddenly feels cultish and stupid to me, which isn't to dissuade or demean those who hold it in more esteem. As our feelings, so to our games and diversions, our artificial constructs, our hierarchies and lists, and jersey number retirements. But I find here after a million and one unsolicited words on the subject, I have no enthusiasm left for it any of it. So maybe it's time to agree to disagree, go back to adulating the retiring hero.

No. You think this is an intelligent argument, but it is not. A more intelligent succinct argument of what you are trying to say is

"Datsyuk and Zetterberg deserve to have their jerseys retired as a pair or not at all. They were the Eurotwins and everything they accomplished in the league was a joint effort between the two. Just like Trammell and Whitaker with the Tigers."

Not this big mess of "Forsooth, I am in love with absolution and nebulousity, ad infintum.

Now to my argument.

Zetterberg goes up before Datsyuk because the team made him a captain and made him the face of the franchise and he hits the requisite Hall of Famer caliber play you'd expect of a guy who deserves to have his jersey retired.

Datsyuk goes up later or not at all because while he checks a lot of the same boxes as Zetterberg, he has a glaring difference in that he stuck the Wings with the tab for 7.5M because he wanted to play in the KHL and would have done it for the last TWO years of his contract if the Wings hadn't threatened to toll his contract when he stated that desire.

The two cases for a jersey retirement are not linked, nor should they be.

E: One last thing... Datsyuk's moral superiority? What moral superiority? Wanting to go home isn't a malicious aim, but the guy still walked out on a contract and left the Wings holding the bag. The fact that they found a willing patsy to take said bag is irrelevant. Datsyuk left them with a 7.5M blank roster spot because he signed a contract for longer than he wanted to play in America. Like Datsyuk isn't a villain in this, but he's also certainly no hero.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't really care what ownership thinks - it's clear they have standards that are vastly higher than anything I'd ever agree with.

But it's incredible to me that there's any discussion at all amongst *fans* about whether or not all three numbers should be in the rafters. I can't imagine anything more petty than a fan being upset with Datsyuk or Fedorov to the point of having any passion at all against them, at this point.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't really care what ownership thinks - it's clear they have standards that are vastly higher than anything I'd ever agree with.

But it's incredible to me that there's any discussion at all amongst *fans* about whether or not all three numbers should be in the rafters. I can't imagine anything more petty than a fan being upset with Datsyuk or Fedorov to the point of having any passion at all against them, at this point.

Personally, I want them up there. But if the Illitches don't... I understand where they are coming from. My argument isn't from a personal standpoint, just that you can kind of read the tea leaves and see that if Datsyuk doesn't go up... it's because of the 7.5M he left on the Wings books. And if they never put Fedorov up, it's for signing an offer sheet from Karmanos.

Reactions: Fynn

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Personally, I want them up there. But if the Illitches don't... I understand where they are coming from. My argument isn't from a personal standpoint, just that you can kind of read the tea leaves and see that if Datsyuk doesn't go up... it's because of the 7.5M he left on the Wings books. And if they never put Fedorov up, it's for signing an offer sheet from Karmanos.
I understand the points you have been making, but one note:

Henrik Zetterberg is not at all a lock for the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That might be an unpopular take on these boards, especially right after his retirement amidst some sad circumstances. And I don't for a moment disagree that local fans would have a better knowledge for some of the many intangible features to Hank's game, that HoF voters might underappreciate. But just as it's ultimately up to the Illitches for whether the jersey hits the rafters, it's up to people that value flashy scoring whether Z enters Toronto, and I not only think that Pavel has a better chance of getting in, but it wouldn't shock me if Henrik doesn't get in at all.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I understand the points you have been making, but one note:

Henrik Zetterberg is not at all a lock for the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That might be an unpopular take on these boards, especially right after his retirement amidst some sad circumstances. And I don't for a moment disagree that local fans would have a better knowledge for some of the many intangible features to Hank's game, that HoF voters might underappreciate. But just as it's ultimately up to the Illitches for whether the jersey hits the rafters, it's up to people that value flashy scoring whether Z enters Toronto, and I not only think that Pavel has a better chance of getting in, but it wouldn't shock me if Henrik doesn't get in at all.

No he isn't. But he has an argument. If he made it to 1000, he'd be a shoo-in. If he placed higher in Hart contention in several years, he'd be a shoo-in.

But regardless of whether he actually gets enshrined, he played at a HOF level at his peak. Whether that peak was long enough and/or his play maintained enough when he wasn't at that level to convince Toronto to vote him in is less relevant.

And even if Datsyuk makes it into the Hall of Fame and Zetterberg doesn't, that's not an argument to have Datsyuk up in the rafters over Hank or even alongside Hank. Retiring a jersey is a team specific deal unless you're Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. Zetterberg has a sterling resume in Detroit and was the face of the franchise after Lidstrom retired. Datsyuk was not and has a huge black mark against him in the early retirement. So all of the local fans and the ownership team who have a better knowledge of the intangibles are basically the only people that matter when it comes to a Red Wings jersey retirement.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Yeah, I don't like it, but I get it. And I get that from any perspective, it's "their" building and they're going to put up whatever jerseys they want, for whatever reasons they want.

It's just unfathomable to me that a fan would look at Datsyuk's career and spit on it because he potentially cost the owners some money and cap space in a year the team was bound to suck anyways.

I dunno. It is what it is, and eventually Marian will no longer be in a position to influence the decisions, and maybe then those guys will go up.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Are people really mad at Datsyuk for retiring early? I view the KHL as an inferior product, so I viewed him leaving Detroit to play in the KHL that he wasn't physically able to play in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: TheMule93

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Are people really mad at Datsyuk for retiring early? I view the KHL as an inferior product, so I viewed him leaving Detroit to play in the KHL that he wasn't physically able to play in the NHL anymore.

I’m mad because he retired full well knowing that he left a 7.5M bag behind. If not for the 35+ rule, I wouldn’t have cared in the slightest. But the Wings had to make a move to get a complete dead weight off the roster because of his decision. If he actually retired because of the same thing Z did to where he was avoiding lifelong injury by not playing hockey anymore I would feel different. But he left the Wings with a contract mess to go run and play hockey in Russia

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I might be a purist, but I don't think any of any candidates should ha entheir jersey retired. To me the criteria is simple

1) Elite level player that stood out league wide.

2) Full career with the organization.

It's a special honor and I think you just can't retire every good player the team has had. We'll run out of numbers.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
First of all, pointing things out, doesn't necessarily make someone "mad". It seems fans are more "mad" about Fedorov and Datsyuk's numbers not being retired. But Datsyuk talked about leaving weeks after signing the contract feigning misunderstanding as to how the process worked, despite being very active in the player's union. He claimed to be leaving to spend time with his older daughter, but signed with a team 10 hours from the city where his daughter lives, though there is a KHL team in that city. He also missed weeks of the 2014 NHL season because of his knee, but played in Sochi. Does that take away from his talent or make him any less of a player? Absolutely not. But I can see where the Ilitch family wouldn't be in any hurry to put him at the level of Yzerman or Lidstrom.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m mad because he retired full well knowing that he left a 7.5M bag behind. If not for the 35+ rule, I wouldn’t have cared in the slightest. But the Wings had to make a move to get a complete dead weight off the roster because of his decision. If he actually retired because of the same thing Z did to where he was avoiding lifelong injury by not playing hockey anymore I would feel different. But he left the Wings with a contract mess to go run and play hockey in Russia

The 7.5 mil we used on Helm, Dekeyser, and Nielsen? Oh no, what would we have done without those 3 bad contracts on a clearly declining roster.

Who cares? This thread is about all the wrong things. Zetterberg was a great player and great leader and his number should go in the rafters. Datsyuk was a great player and an icon that influenced a whole new generation of young danglers and his numbers should go in the rafters too.

The positive contributions blow the little petty stuff people are getting fixated on out of the water for me.

Reactions: njx9 and jkutswings

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I might be a purist, but I don't think any of any candidates should ha entheir jersey retired. To me the criteria is simple

1) Elite level player that stood out league wide.

2) Full career with the organization.

It's a special honor and I think you just can't retire every good player the team has had. We'll run out of numbers.
Then we should be un-retiring numbers.

Reactions: waltdetroit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
To be consistent, were you also upset by the financial details of the new arena? I'll not saying you were or weren't, but many defenders of the arena used the argument of, "I don't care, since it's not my money."

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
The whataboutism is out in full force. The amount spent on the arena, the other contracts signed, or what other players are doing doesn't change the fact that Datsyuk signed a contract that he had no intention of honoring and continued to play hockey after backing out on the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad