News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Interesting comments on the captaincy. On the one hand, Abdelkader becoming captain is almost embarrassing when he’s effectively following up 30+ years of Hall of Fame players as captains. Kronwall as well. On the other hand, with the state of the team, do we let it go as simply a sign of the times? No need to mar the legacy of a potential franchise stalwart like Larkin with these down years?

For the record, that’s not to say Abby or Kronwall aren’t good leaders.

Wouldn’t shock me if we give Larkin an A and we just roll with three assistants this season.

Once Kronwall retires, Larkin gets the C.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Yzerman
Lidstrom
Zetterberg
Abdelkader

Seems right
Not that I'm agreeing with Abdlekader taking over captain duty...but do you know of any future HoFers on the current roster to take the reigns? Whoever the next captain is will pale in comparison to those three.

I'm with whoever said just roll all assistants.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What comes to Captain material, Hronek could be future assistant. He was U20 Captain for Czechs. But he'll be years away from it. I could see him as a "leader of europeans".

Next Captains will be Americans, I'm quite sure. If not Larkin, how about Jack Hughes, if we win the lottery?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yzerman
Lidstrom
Zetterberg
Abdelkader

Seems right

Detroit has been very lucky the past 30 years. Most teams can't pass their captaincy from one hall of famer to the next. I don't think they'll give it to Abby, though.

Reactions: Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
on the captain front, if Z goes the LTIR route, the C wouldn't be available for a few years anyway. At least, I can't see them stripping the C from Z under the those circumstances. In a few years, when Z can retire properly, Larkin will be in a much better position to take it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
on the captain front, if Z goes the LTIR route, the C wouldn't be available for a few years anyway. At least, I can't see them stripping the C from Z under the those circumstances. In a few years, when Z can retire properly, Larkin will be in a much better position to take it.

Hmm... this could be possible. Go with multiple A's until Zetterberg officially retires.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Interesting comments on the captaincy. On the one hand, Abdelkader becoming captain is almost embarrassing when he’s effectively following up 30+ years of Hall of Fame players as captains. Kronwall as well. On the other hand, with the state of the team, do we let it go as simply a sign of the times? No need to mar the legacy of a potential franchise stalwart like Larkin with these down years?

Yzerman was named captain at 21 years old, right after a 17-57-6 season. The Wings went on to improve by 38 points that year, and went from missing the playoffs to getting to the Conference Finals.

Now Larkin is no Yzerman, but I wouldn't let the current win/loss record dictate who gets the C and when.

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
I don't see Abby getting the captaincy. No way they'd give it to him only to strip him of it whenever Larkin is "ready." They'd do 3 A's or let Kronwall take it for a year before they do that.

Larkin should probably just get it. He is obviously a core piece for the future and has seemingly been groomed for this. He's the link on the chain that connects the youth movement to come to the glory days of Stevie Y.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm pretty sure when Chris Pronger was forced to be LTIR'd due to his concussions, the Flyers put the C on Claude Giroux not too long later; despite Pronger still being under contract; and this was before they moved his contract to Arizona.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
larkin is the obvious choice. Hell last year he looked like one of the top leaders anyways. Let him work through the transition and let him lead the next wave.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I think Larkin is gonna get it. Get him signed long term and make him our leader for the future!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm pretty sure when Chris Pronger was forced to be LTIR'd due to his concussions, the Flyers put the C on Claude Giroux not too long later; despite Pronger still being under contract; and this was before they moved his contract to Arizona.

That's Philly, though. Is that a franchise we really want to take our cues from? :naughty:

I'm not saying we can't take the C from him when he's on LTIR, I'm saying we don't have to and I don't see us doing it. Kronwall, Gator, and Larkin will wear an A, then we can name Larkin captain in a couple of years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's Philly, though. Is that a franchise we really want to take our cues from? :naughty:

I'm not saying we can't take the C from him when he's on LTIR, I'm saying we don't have to and I don't see us doing it. Kronwall, Gator, and Larkin will wear an A, then we can name Larkin captain in a couple of years.

They could go that route... but I think he is a viable option to wear the C now.

I know he is young, but he made more improvements in his +1 season than any prospect I can remember. He had a sophomore slump, and responded by having a big year on a bad team. It seems like every single time this kid hits a wall, he just finds a way to break through it. He is clearly a determined player and has a lot of pride. I would be fine giving him the C, because he is the guy I would point to with anyone we draft and say "do what this guy does."

Reactions: jkutswings

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
I think once Z retires, Larkin will really thrive and take his leadership to the next level. You can already tell that Larkin loves the responsibility and is eager to take on new challenges. He also holds himself and the team to a very high standard.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Abbys a classic alternate captain. He does a lot of stuff other guys arent willing to do and has a voice in the room but he just isnt good enough for the C. I agree it would be embarrassing if he got the C

Wouldn’t shock me if we give Larkin an A and we just roll with three assistants this season.

Once Kronwall retires, Larkin gets the C.

I dont think I would want the C on Larkin until after this season either. If Z doesnt play. put an A on Larkin, playout the year and then give him the C after that. Make sure he has another good season before putting your eggs in that basket

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Team should vote the Captain. The guys themselves know it best.

If Larkin is ready and already a leader on the lockerroom, so be it. Just put the pressure straight on him.
Do you wan't the Swedish Mafia to continue? Because that's how the Swedish Mafia continues ;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Abdelkader should be on the trade block every single deadline. Which is my way of saying I'm not sure I'd make him captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad