News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A bummer the way the zetterberg era turned out. Through no fault of his own obviously. Filling the shoes of Nick who filled the shoes of Stevie was almost never going to end well. How could it? You'd need a whole slew of rabbits feed and a meadow of 4 leaf clovers to have the kind of luck it would take to continue that kind of success any longer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is that a legit source?

DSR has broken things in the past. We don't recognize it as a true source if you were using it as a link because Jeff Moss also has a history of sensationalizing things. But the news on Zetterberg is out there that he is contemplating retirement through several sources and DSR joining the group with a he is done is interesting in my opinion.

I swing more and more towards the he is finished crowd as this is evolving. I still think Zetterberg hasn't truly decided, but if he isn't in his workout routine by this point in the summer we might have actual witnessed the end last season when everyone telling us that wasn't happening including Zetterberg. So this is a weird change, I thought he would retire because of his back after this year not right now. But it isn't surprising when you expect him to walk away this soon that it might be happening right now.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
DSR has broken things in the past. We don't recognize it as a true source if you were using it as a link because Jeff Moss also has a history of sensationalizing things. But the news on Zetterberg is out there that he is contemplating retirement through several sources and DSR joining the group with a he is done is interesting in my opinion.

I swing more and more towards the he is finished crowd as this is evolving. I still think Zetterberg hasn't truly decided, but if he isn't in his workout routine by this point in the summer we might have actual witnessed the end last season when everyone telling us that wasn't happening including Zetterberg. So this is a weird change, I thought he would retire because of his back after this year not right now. But it isn't surprising when you expect him to walk away this soon that it might be happening right now.

Ok no worries I just saw like 50 or so likes or follows and I had never heard of him so I was just questioning the validity of whoever dude is. Also I am not on twitter either. I think likewise that it is leaning more towards ltir for him but he probably wants the golf outing to tell his team first.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just becuase Z has played pretty much all the games since his surgery doesn't mean he hasn't been playing hurt, this whole time, he is after all a great competitor who wants to play and win. Also, when Z signed his contract, that kind of contract was legal, so there souldn't be any recapture bologna to begin with.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just becuase Z has played pretty much all the games since his surgery doesn't mean he hasn't been playing hurt, this whole time, he is after all a great competitor who wants to play and win. Also, when Z signed his contract, that kind of contract was legal, so there souldn't be any recapture bologna to begin with.

Wings will get hit with recapture, but the Devils ultimately got off with no penalty AND Kovy is back in the NHL. Figure that one out.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

conspiracy tin foil hat time. could this entire thing starting from the end of the season to now be a ploy to ensure the league doesn't go after the wings when they put zetterberg on LTIR?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
conspiracy tin foil hat time. could this entire thing starting from the end of the season to now be a ploy to ensure the league doesn't go after the wings when they put zetterberg on LTIR?

Yeah that was my thought too. Its funny though because since his surgery Z has been the healthiest hes been in his entire career, and hasn't missed a game in years at this point.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Could be, but could also be that he's had some sort of setback or had the back flare up in training. Less than a month ago that he stated he was going to play another year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wings will get hit with recapture, but the Devils ultimately got off with no penalty AND Kovy is back in the NHL. Figure that one out.

Yeah, funny how Wngs MUST BE penalized about a recapture, and at same time NHL GMs are constructimg contracts with same tail-end ideas. This time with the signing bonus-frontloading.

Reactions: Oddbob

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I guess Zetterberg could go the Clarkson/Horton way : LTIR for a couple of seasons and not retire right away. Clarkson, as well as Horton, has some back issues too, so they could be used as an example.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Funnier will be when the recapture is waived or penalty is largely diminished after the next lockout. No way are they going to force Nashville to deal with a crippling 20m recapture when Webber is done.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I guess Zetterberg could go the Clarkson/Horton way : LTIR for a couple of seasons and not retire right away. Clarkson, as well as Horton, has some back issues too, so they could be used as an example.

And of course franzina.

As a player LTIR is a better option as well because you keep getting paid.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Funnier will be when the recapture is waived or penalty is largely diminished after the next lockout. No way are they going to force Nashville to deal with a crippling 20m recapture when Webber is done.

Really wouldnt affect them. Pretty sure they're like Ottawa and have an internal cap much lower than the actual salaray cap?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Gary's gotta protect the small markets from floundering.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Unfortunate that Z ended up this way. I mean, not saying he isn’t happy, but I really thought he deserved a slightly better finish. I wanted to see him with another cup.

This makes me really sad because with him and Datsyuk gone it really is the end of an era.

I’m sad, but excited because this also starts a new era for the Wings. Assuming the recent news is true.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Unfortunate that Z ended up this way. I mean, not saying he isn’t happy, but I really thought he deserved a slightly better finish. I wanted to see him with another cup.

This makes me really sad because with him and Datsyuk gone it really is the end of an era.

I’m sad, but excited because this also starts a new era for the Wings. Assuming the recent news is true.

He can always come back and ask to be traded to a contender at the deadline if he's interested in pursuing another cup. I'm rather surprised to hear him considering retiring, I expected he'd go out like Kronwall, squeezing every bit of ice time out of his career despite health problems. I would have to assume, if he hangs up his skates, that it has more to do with his heart not being in it as much, if not more, than his back.

Reactions: KJoe88

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He can always come back and ask to be traded to a contender at the deadline if he's interested in pursuing another cup. I'm rather surprised to hear him considering retiring, I expected he'd go out like Kronwall, squeezing every bit of ice time out of his career despite health problems. I would have to assume, if he hangs up his skates, that it has more to do with his heart not being in it as much, if not more, than his back.

I think it could also be, more of an ego thing, as usually star players don't like playing when they don't feel they can play well. Take Gretzky for example, he could have still played more seasons at the end, if he wanted to, but he knew he was slowing down and was no longer as dominant, or even Lidstrom, as both were still quite good in their final season(s).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Take this with a pinch of salt

That's not a pinch of salt. That's a dumptruck loaded with salt. DSR is garbage and throws crap out. Whenever he's right, it's essentially a "broken clock has to be right twice a day".

He'll bleat up and down when one of his hot takes luckily hits, but when he's completely wrong, it's 100% ignored because he's trash.

I hate that guys like him and Eklund get any kind of play anywhere.

Reactions: Sparty

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I stay on Zetterberg's statement on swedish newspaper at last summer. "I'll probably play for 2 seasons."

That's what realistic to expect. He's not gonna play those 1M years, like he said, those were added in the end as extra. Then we deal with the recapture or not.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not anymore. That team is stacked. That recapture would destroy them.

Well then let it destroy them.

They matched the deal to keep Weber knowing it to be the case. They traded him in a value for value deal for Subban knowing it to be the case that they'd likely get socked with the penalty.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Well then let it destroy them.

They matched the deal to keep Weber knowing it to be the case. They traded him in a value for value deal for Subban knowing it to be the case that they'd likely get socked with the penalty.
I agree. But I don't think the league is going to let that destroy the roster of one of their non-traditional market crown jewels.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Weber would only be 40 when his contract ends, and I think it's unlikely he walks for at least another five years. And I'm not sure why he would straight retire or do anything that wouldn't allow him to collect on the last few years of that deal (he'll go the same LTIR route we are pushing for Z).

Also, in five years, the cap could be over $100m or Nashville is tearing down to a point where whatever recapture penalty hits them might be a welcomed way of gaming the salary floor.

Reactions: Oddbob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad