News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Abdelkader should be on the trade block every single deadline. Which is my way of saying I'm not sure I'd make him captain.
Nah. They're just waiting to tack on one last 5 year deal before giving him the C. I mean, he'll still be a spring chicken at 36. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Bench

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They could go that route... but I think he is a viable option to wear the C now.

I know he is young, but he made more improvements in his +1 season than any prospect I can remember. He had a sophomore slump, and responded by having a big year on a bad team. It seems like every single time this kid hits a wall, he just finds a way to break through it. He is clearly a determined player and has a lot of pride. I would be fine giving him the C, because he is the guy I would point to with anyone we draft and say "do what this guy does."

I'm fine with that, too. I think Larkin is the guy tabbed for it. I do wonder if they'll want to wait for a few more vets to work their way off the team before giving it to him. Mostly, I was just throwing an alternative scenario out there to show there are different ways of making it work.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He’s one of Holland’s boys, so he’s a lifer and you know it. :rolleyes:

Like Dan Cleary...

QQeZcZL.gif

... from Michigan.

b6fyd3w.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit Red Wings mailbag: Will Darren Helm, Luke Glendening be dealt?

"HSJ: Henrik Zetterberg told me in June he is training and planning on playing, so until I hear otherwise, I’m expecting Zetterberg will play. If he does not, I’d expect the Wings to go with three alternates and down the road name Dylan Larkin the next captain."

The article also claims that Rasmussen, "would have to play himself out of a spot in camp" to not start the season with Detroit, but that Zadina stands a good chance of playing in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Ezekial

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Detroit Red Wings mailbag: Will Darren Helm, Luke Glendening be dealt?

"HSJ: Henrik Zetterberg told me in June he is training and planning on playing, so until I hear otherwise, I’m expecting Zetterberg will play. If he does not, I’d expect the Wings to go with three alternates and down the road name Dylan Larkin the next captain."

The article also claims that Rasmussen, "would have to play himself out of a spot in camp" to not start the season with Detroit, but that Zadina stands a good chance of playing in Grand Rapids.

Have to point out that the whole "go back to juniors" thing is mentioned with Zadina and Rasmussen, and how their circumstances might be correlating with where they are expected to start the season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Have to point out that the whole "go back to juniors" thing is mentioned with Zadina and Rasmussen, and how their circumstances might be correlating with where they are expected to start the season.
Developmentally it makes sense for Rasmussen to make the team and send Zadina to GR, unless of course Zadina blows him out of the water in PS saying "I'm a legit top 6er in the NHL at 18." I don't mind it, even if Zadina plays a little better than Rasmussen going to GR isn't a terrible thing. As a watcher of the games I would LOVE to see them both 75 times this season, but realistically I'm fine with knowing Zadina (barring a horrendous transition into professional hockey) would be up at some point during the season and playing high level hockey when he's not.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Developmentally it makes sense for Rasmussen to make the team and send Zadina to GR, unless of course Zadina blows him out of the water in PS saying "I'm a legit top 6er in the NHL at 18." I don't mind it, even if Zadina plays a little better than Rasmussen going to GR isn't a terrible thing. As a watcher of the games I would LOVE to see them both 75 times this season, but realistically I'm fine with knowing Zadina (barring a horrendous transition into professional hockey) would be up at some point during the season and playing high level hockey when he's not.

My issue is more that it points to a predetermined mindset of the club. It's not saying, "we expect this guy to earn it," it's saying that they are setting an arbitrary schedule nearly regardless of how much they earn it. I'm not against any of these guys playing in GR or wherever, really, if that's where they should slot in based on their development. Things like this, Saarijarvi being pushed to Toledo for chunks of the season just because of a roster crunch, guys suddenly being ready when their waiver exemptions run out, etc. are what I don't like.

In the end, hopefully it doesn't matter. It's also been a long summer already. I want some hockey.

Reactions: njx9 and jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
My issue is more that it points to a predetermined mindset of the club. It's not saying, "we expect this guy to earn it," it's saying that they are setting an arbitrary schedule nearly regardless of how much they earn it. I'm not against any of these guys playing in GR or wherever, really, if that's where they should slot in based on their development. Things like this, Saarijarvi being pushed to Toledo for chunks of the season just because of a roster crunch, guys suddenly being ready when their waiver exemptions run out, etc. are what I don't like.

In the end, hopefully it doesn't matter. It's also been a long summer already. I want some hockey.
I agree to an extent, but I feel the situation kinda dictates it more at this point due to the CHL clause. In the end it something will probably happen and Zadina and Rasmussen will be on the roster. Only 3 months! 2 til stuff to follow!

Reactions: Winger98

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Abdelkader should be on the trade block every single deadline. Which is my way of saying I'm not sure I'd make him captain.

Is this a bad time to point out Abdelkader has actually done a pretty decent job earning his contract? I mean, he's not going to be on a list of 10 best bargains or anything, but 4.25 per for a physical winger who gets you 30+ points and PKs a bit? Enh. Not terrible.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Is this a bad time to point out Abdelkader has actually done a pretty decent job earning his contract? I mean, he's not going to be on a list of 10 best bargains or anything, but 4.25 per for a physical winger who gets you 30+ points and PKs a bit? Enh. Not terrible.

Over 4 for a 3rd liner is good for way too long? Surely you jest. He is commonly on top 10 worst contract lists. :sarcasm:

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Didn't Patrick Maroon just sign with his hometown team for under 2M? At 1 yr?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's actually a really good comparable. Over the last 5 years, Abdelkader hits a little more (170 per year vs Maroon's 147), and production is almost the same (170 points vs Maroon's 175). But even removing the home town discount, a depth winger isn't getting either the AAV or the term that Justin got.

Although that deal was based on people thinking he would be more than a depth winger, which is an entirely different can of worms...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
53% of last season (when with EDM) on Draisaitl and McDavid's wing.

58% of 2016-17 was on Draisaitl and McDavid's wing.

Must be nice. He did take less money to go to St. Louis, though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

There was some family thing involved. Wanted to be closer to his son, who lives in St. Louis.

Special case. Money didn't matter.

Better just stop comparing him to anybody.

Reactions: Oddbob

abbbaron

May 6, 2015

To his credit Maroon also put up 13 pts in 17 regular season games playing with not McJesus and Draisatl, but yeah obviously he was a beneficiary. The same goes with the Red Wing who has apparently done a "pretty decent job earning his contract"; he played 80% of his even strength minutes with Zetterberg and a good amount with Datsyuk prior to getting that 7-year gentleman's welfare agreement.

I'm at pains to find a comparable that makes Adbelkader look like he's earning his contract...David Clarkson maybe?

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

eh this year maybe,last year definitely not

anyways the main issue with that contract was never gonna be the first couple years,it was giving a 7 year deal that kicks in at the age of 30 to a bit player

look at the kind of player he is and it's not at all hard to imagine how ugly it'll be as he hits his mid 30s,and for what? what benefit did the Wings get out of locking up a guy that can be charitably called "not a core piece" for 7 years at his age? they certainly didn't get a discount on the cap

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The best comps are probably Brouwer and Belesky, guys who put up similar numbers and had similar styles leading into the same summer. One had a bit higher cap hit, the other lower, but both had much shorter terms. Belesky looks bad for entirely bottoming out, but Boston has already moved on from him. And both would be in the next to last year of their deals.

If Gator can play his normal physical game and put up 40 points, I like it. If not, I'm less of a fan. If he starts putting up 20 points regularly, it's just plain bad.

Reactions: jkutswings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->