News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
We need enough cap space to retain 50% of Nyquist's salary at the trade deadline and be able to bring up another player.
Why would we have to retain 50% to trade him at the deadline? Not that I think Kenny can get what he got for Tat's but I don't think we need to retain any let alone 50% of his salary.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why would we have to retain 50% to trade him at the deadline? Not that I think Kenny can get what he got for Tat's but I don't think we need to retain any let alone 50% of his salary.
No reason to completely rule it out, opens up options for which team can trade for him cap-wise and can increase the value. Nyquist has to waive his NTC to be moved, so if the team has to retain to accommodate a move they should. Also what do we need the extra 2 million for? If we're going to be using call-ups that cost under a million each then it shouldn't matter to those of us who don't write the checks

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I wonder if mr coach playing him like he is 27 years old again has anything to do with it?
I've said it for a couple years that he would be getting 2nd to third line minutes and PP time.

Hell him playing with a young kid or 2 on the third line would have been a great way to mentor them and teach them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, Detroit Red Wings as themselves technically won't need to retent anything from Nyquist.

But contenders usually won't have a lot of capspace if at all and retention and/or taking a cap dump would help anybody to fit in.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
As long as said team has 1-2 million in space we would be fine too not retain. The trade deadline is usually around 2/3 to 7/10 of season played. So they would only need to fit 1/3 of his contract to fit him. If say they only had 1 million we would have to retain .5 . If 1.5 space nothing (if he is at 4.5 if more they would retain a little) and so forth.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As long as said team has 1-2 million in space we would be fine too not retain. The trade deadline is usually around 2/3 to 7/10 of season played. So they would only need to fit 1/3 of his contract to fit him. If say they only had 1 million we would have to retain .5 . If 1.5 space nothing (if he is at 4.5 if more they would retain a little) and so forth.

capfriendly is really helpful with this. When you look at a team they tell you how much cap space they have right now, and then they tell you how much cap space that would equal at the TDL. For instance, Pittsburgh has $1m in cap space right, which correlates to around $4.7m at the TDL.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I fully believe Zata will be back this season, but it is a little worrisome we haven't heard anything positive lately.
It does make me think the biggest question is if he's physically able to do it and not about the other elements of retiring.

It's crazy to me that he played as well as he did considering his back was so bad he wasn't practicing for the second half of the season.

And also crazy that in spite of those back issues Blashill kept playing him 19+ minutes a game.

Reactions: jkutswings

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
If a team really wants Nike, retaining salary can up his value in some cases

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It does make me think the biggest question is if he's physically able to do it and not about the other elements of retiring.

It's crazy to me that he played as well as he did considering his back was so bad he wasn't practicing for the second half of the season.

And also crazy that in spite of those back issues Blashill kept playing him 19+ minutes a game.

I don't think, even though it adds up to a significant amount of time, that him playing 19+ did anything to him that playing 15 wouldn't have. Z would probably get out on the ice and just sheer adrenaline would drive him. Hell, Z probably told him, if I'm playing, use me like you normally would. It's like when Lidstrom started taking it year to year near the end to see if at the beginning of the year he thought his body would be up to it for the whole year and that he wanted to put himself through the grinder. For most of them, I think it's "I'm playing hell or high water". If I've laced up the skates, I'm lacing them up full time or not at all.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
This is about as late as you can get in July, so...?
Yeah... If the plan was to decide in July, he's out of time. I'm really hoping he comes back for one last year if only so he can get to 1000 points. He's 40 away. They should give him light practices and every third or fourth game off. I really want Zadina and Rasmussen to have the chance to learn from him for at least a year.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I read that Holland said Z is at least showing up for training camp, so there is hope he plays this year. Maybe the delay is part of a marketing ploy

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I read that Holland said Z is at least showing up for training camp, so there is hope he plays this year. Maybe the delay is part of a marketing ploy

Marketing ploy? No, it's that Z is really on the edge of whether he wants to put himself through a season when he didn't practice all last second half If the league didn't have the stupid ass recapture provision get retroactively enforced on legal contracts, he'd be retired and heading back to Sweden right now. The only reason he's holding out and thinking he'll want to play is that he doesn't want to bork the Wings... or that they'll be able to have a bit of leverage to say "help us out one more year and X. Like they did when they leveraged another year out of Datsyuk. Basically, retire now and we toll your contract and you can't play anywhere. Give us one year and we won't.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah... If the plan was to decide in July, he's out of time. I'm really hoping he comes back for one last year if only so he can get to 1000 points. He's 40 away. They should give him light practices and every third or fourth game off. I really want Zadina and Rasmussen to have the chance to learn from him for at least a year.
or let him play about 10 -14 min a game with I guess Rasmussen

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's more of, are those 3.35M worth to play, when you have used to +7M.

Because the team is not competitive. It could be later, but then the salary goes to 1M.

Those 1M years are definitely not worth playing. Hossa way it is.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I don't know if it is a good thing or bad thing that it is past the deadline he gave the Red Wings on his decision to retire or not. IMO reading that he missed every practice in the second half the season to rest his back just makes me believe he is leaning towards retirement.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's more of, are those 3.35M worth to play, when you have used to +7M.

Because the team is not competitive. It could be later, but then the salary goes to 1M.

Those 1M years are definitely not worth playing. Hossa way it is.

If the team was worth a damn, I think Z plays for a $1m.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If this was indeed a real deadline I feel that he wants to play but is still unsure about how his back is. As someone with a pretty serious back condition (that still allows me to live everyday life) it can be a real rollercoaster of feelings. For me, I can go days feeling relatively fine but then out of nowhere I'll wake up and be in pain for 2 days straight, wake up the third day feeling "normal"

To quote Hannibal Burress
"I don't know if you know this, but your back is most of your body. So if your back hurts your life basically sucks."

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
No news is good news. Imo, he's playing another season
Which is funny, because a more definitive yes would have been made by or before the self-imposed "deadline" because it would have ended speculation and created a potentially more positive atmosphere moving into September. Now you only have like 6 weeks before training camp, to try and figure if your back will take the abuse that it couldn't, coming out of the last season.

Personally, I think we're in Datsyuk territory. Where the years, to include last year, were not meant to be played and that Z (and moreso his family) are really having doubts as to his ability to function on a daily basis. Injuries can be sated with procedures and future problems can be prevented, but that implies that you don't do what you have been doing, which created the issue in the first place. If it was me, I'd LTI-Retire. There is nothing left to prove and the years that you have left are with a team that, barring a miracle, won't make the playoffs. The best thing he can do, for himself and the team, is to let it all crash quickly so they can build back up and hopefully get some good draft years and have enough cap space to lure some good free agents.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
More like where did they get their info from? There’s no direct quote from anyone.
Shouldn’t hold a guy to a deadline that’s not necessarily coming from himself.
THN isn’t a fly by night publication. If they were willing to post it I’d be confident it is from a legitimate source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad