News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
He most likely has already made his decision, I didn't think they would report it in July. Way too early for that.

I agree. Considering the training that is required in the office I think he already knows. Or at the very least, is leaning very significantly to an answer. I don't think we hear anything until camp breaks

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
THN isn’t a fly by night publication. If they were willing to post it I’d be confident it is from a legitimate source.
After looking at the link what was the golf outing they were basing it off of? Did he attend?
First, much of the direction the Red Wings will take next season depends upon the future of Henrik Zetterberg, who will apparently decide on his future after a golf outing with some of his teammates later this month.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think if it were a no he would've already said it by now.

... Inevitably I think he tries. He probably wont make it all the way through the season, if he even makes it through training camp, but I think he'll try.

I'd bet my life savings that he doesn't play in 19-20. I think that's a foregone conclusion.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Which is funny, because a more definitive yes would have been made by or before the self-imposed "deadline" because it would have ended speculation and created a potentially more positive atmosphere moving into September. Now you only have like 6 weeks before training camp, to try and figure if your back will take the abuse that it couldn't, coming out of the last season.

Personally, I think we're in Datsyuk territory. Where the years, to include last year, were not meant to be played and that Z (and moreso his family) are really having doubts as to his ability to function on a daily basis. Injuries can be sated with procedures and future problems can be prevented, but that implies that you don't do what you have been doing, which created the issue in the first place. If it was me, I'd LTI-Retire. There is nothing left to prove and the years that you have left are with a team that, barring a miracle, won't make the playoffs. The best thing he can do, for himself and the team, is to let it all crash quickly so they can build back up and hopefully get some good draft years and have enough cap space to lure some good free agents.

last year wasn't meant to be played? his salary last year was 7 million

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
this is all just a show being put on for the NHL when zetterberg LTIR retires next season.

I could also believe in this. Report on the media, that "there's serious concerns". So LTIRetirement it's easier to sell, when the real decision (next summer) will be published.

I could see Franzen-deal sold on floor team at next summer, and then only one left for LTIR will be Zetterberg for 2 years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well that's deflating.

If I watched Hank's last game not knowing it was his last for 4 months I'm going to be extremely disappointed... Not in him, though, just in the situation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I'm just waiting for the Wings to announce Z going on LTIR cause he got infected with African Sleeping Sickness while out on a safari with Hossa.

You think they have to make something up for a guy who can't train or make it through practice?

His back is shot. It's been that way for awhile and he's pushed through it. I'm sure they don't have to fabricate anything to put the guy on LTIR.

Reactions: SoupNazi

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You think they have to make something up for a guy who can't train or make it through practice?

His back is shot. It's been that way for awhile and he's pushed through it. I'm sure they don't have to fabricate anything to put the guy on LTIR.

Nah you are right. I was just joking. I'm sure they could legitimately LTIR him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
C'mon Hank! Don't you LTIR on me now! That's dangerous cap space you're giving Kenny if you do this! We're talking Mark Letetsu golden parachute type contracts here!

But seriously, I didn't anticipate Zetterberg was nearly this close to hanging them up, so I hope he's ok, and can enjoy a high quality of life whenever he does retire.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I just rewatched the highlights from the 2002 series with Vancouver (actually compiled by awood40, the best damned Red Wings Youtuber ever). Steve Yzerman could hardly walk, let alone play hockey, but he played his whole allotment of minutes and was awesome.

It just reiterated to me why I didn't have a problem with Hank playing 20 minutes a night. Your captain is going to do that. He's going to continue to try to put the team on his back. Z's problem is that it's his back that was sore. That's why guys played for Stevie. It's why guys have been playing for Hank. You don't get the captaincy unless you have that set of brass balls on you.

It is a real downer that such a great career is wrapping up like this. I would have loved for a Sedins' exit, where Hank gets his last game and it's just a magical turn back the clock night. But sometimes you don't get the Hollywood story.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It just reiterated to me why I didn't have a problem with Hank playing 20 minutes a night. Your captain is going to do that.

I mean, yeah, but Yzerman was doing it on a first place team. Z wasn't even doing it on a slightly competitive team. There's giving your everything to win a championship, and there's doing it to try to make 70 points. And I get that Z is going to try to give it 100% no matter what, but the team would've been better off (if we subscribe to the notion that Z contributes leadership and helps the younger players) if the coaches had stopped him, and restricted his minutes or given him more days off to extend his career.

All that said, it's sad if last season was really it, and there's no "last shift, standing ovation" moment for him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wonder if there's a possibility that he could go on LTIR and actually make an effort to play later in the season before calling it quits for real.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I became a hockey fan and Wings fan later than most of you probably, so 5-13-40 will always be special for me. When Hank hangs them up and definitively ends that era, it will be very sad for me. I loved how those 3 guys were super skilled yet complete players, had no holes in their game, and worked their asses off. They were late round picks with a chip on their shoulder and they became stars. Such a rare thing to witness.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I mean, yeah, but Yzerman was doing it on a first place team. Z wasn't even doing it on a slightly competitive team. There's giving your everything to win a championship, and there's doing it to try to make 70 points. And I get that Z is going to try to give it 100% no matter what, but the team would've been better off (if we subscribe to the notion that Z contributes leadership and helps the younger players) if the coaches had stopped him, and restricted his minutes or given him more days off to extend his career.

All that said, it's sad if last season was really it, and there's no "last shift, standing ovation" moment for him.

I mean, you do what you do with what you have in front of you. Pyrrhic victory it may be, but if last season ended Hanks career, I’m glad he did it his way. As opposed to if the Wings curtailed him to a 3C and he still was retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->