Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ok very late to this game due to life getting in the way, not quite done it yet (done divine beasts and have 3/4 of shrines found), but finally played enough of the game to really venture into the online discussion without fear of key parts being spoiled for me.

I had an interesting relationship with this game as I got it at launch on my Wii U, played it for about 3 hours and was decidedly against the whole premise of it. I was calling it Zelder Scrolls. It was like the developers thought "how can we make this as western as possible while still applying the Zelda flourishes to it?" to me.

I was wanting to hop in and get some engrossing story and maybe beat most of a dungeon/ temple within the first few hours. Instead I was waylaid by the paraglider tutorial fetch quest.

I put it down just as I got to Zora's Domain after maybe 10 hours of gameplay over the course of the next week or two and thought it was obviously a well made game but not at all for me. I don't mind linear, hand holding Zelda games if the story actually grabs me and the dungeons are satisfying and rewarding with the items and puzzle solving. What was so wrong with that formula that they had to do away with it completely?

Anyway, in late August I picked up a Switch in anticipation for XCOMario, as well as SM Odyssey and other games. Was told by numerous friends and family members that having Zelda on the Switch is worth buying it a second time because it is nice to be able to play in bed/ commuting/ etc. I thought what the hell I should justify owning this console with a couple of games and bought it again.

Went in with a completely different mindset of purely hunting out good items, shrines, finding all of the memory locations, etc. and it was A LOT more fun and rewarding. The memories specifically were fun because I was getting backstory while having fun seeking out all the little spots throughout the giant map. Found a lot of shrines along the way, as well as the master sword and doing a lot of fun little side quests.

I've probably sunk in between 50-100 hours now (is there somewhere to see this info? I see people posting specific numbers on here and my friends mention it to me too but I'm ignorant of it if it appears in the game menu somewhere) and I've gotten a lot of the extras. Still a ton more to find obviously with there being so many shrines and koroks and side quests, but I'm through the bulk of the game.

So, after doing all of the adventuring and beating the four divine beasts I'm back to where I started. Obviously a well made game, had more fun than I realized/ was willing to accept at first, but the divine beasts were all able to be beaten in about half an hour to an hour, required very little skill due to me having found the master sword first, and I'm still back with the opinion that this game is SEVERELY lacking in all of the things that has made Zelda so beloved by the fanbase over the last couple of decades. There were maybe 5 times that I completed a puzzle and was really satisfied with the feeling of having figured it out. The shrines are so small and quick that once you figure out the mechanic for that shrine the last obstacles which are supposed to be challenging aren't usually very challenging at all. I am pretty disappointed, honestly.

I'm not trying to have a scorching hot take, it is obviously a great game for a lot of reasons, but has anyone else felt this way? Walking around is fun, but most of this game is comprised of scaling cliff faces and paragliding across canyons. That to me is not super fun, and definitely not what I play Zelda for. There is a lot of content in the game, as it is massive and they put in so many shrines and little fetch quests, but I'd argue that a lot of it is really shallow and doesn't allow the player to really dig in and get into the same sort of groove that say a dungeon from past Zelda's have.

I get that it is a trend in gaming to have big open worlds, and that the hand holding and linearity of Zelda titles is often restricting, but to take it to this extreme seems disappointing to me. If I wanted to play Skyrim I would just do that. Again, not saying this game is actually BAD in any way, just that I really hope that they straighten themselves out from that big shift and maybe find some middle ground. If they had made the divine beasts bigger, or had say 8 instead of just 4, I would have even just appreciated that much more legitimate dungeon puzzle solving fun.

I'm rambling at this point, but does anyone agree with me?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Its funny how that works eh?

I am constantly thinking about things I don't like about the design but I have to admit that playing the game is a lot of fun despite combat being very shallow, despite the lack of cool items you unlock later etc....

A great example of the noticeable gap between "interesting" and "fun"!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It was only after I realized I shouldn't expect to play a Zelda game that I had fun, which I find actually kind of sad upon reflection

Again I can't knock the game as it is so good on any objective level, and so so so much better than Skyward Sword, but it is distinctly unZelda and I am not a fan of that

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Zelda suffered from adhering too closely to the A Link to the Past formula for too long.

Zelda is primarly about exploring and BotW gets that very right.

I get what you are saying but they said that they wanted BotW to be more like the first game: "here is the world, here is the end game objective, go".

They definitely succeeded in that regard. In a way, this is the most Zelda-like game since 1991.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just got my Amiibo cards in the mail from geek.com. An absolute must purchase for anybody who wants to unlock Amiibo stuff. $15 for the full set of BOTW related Amiibo (so every Zelda amiibo from Smash Bros up until the latest 30th anniversary amiibo with Majoras Mask, Skyward Sword, etc, but no Champions amiibo).

Having all the cards in a handy little leather wallet all of a sudden makes the actual physical amiibo seem like a complete pain the ass.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Zelda suffered from adhering too closely to the A Link to the Past formula for too long.

I get what you are saying but they said that they wanted BotW to be more like the first game: "here is the world, here is the end game objective, go".

They definitely succeeded in that regard. In a way, this is the most Zelda-like game since 1991.

I agree with that, and it is a strong feature of the original Zelda and obviously the entire crux that BotW hangs on. It is a really interesting game for that reason alone, even if someone wanted to criticize the lack of variation in enemies or the limited combat. The exploration factor and amount of different puzzles and areas and treasures to discover is amazing and made it an enjoyable game.

I do find this rhetoric a little disingenuous, though. Both from fans and Nintendo. If they wanted the overwhelming bulk of "Zelda" to be games that were hyper-focused on exploration and flat out adventure, wouldn't they have made more than just the original game like that? The games have been out for over 30 years and in all of that time only the original game is like that? If you wanted to lump in Wind Waker I could accept that, though it is also linear.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point either, because the original game was literally exactly like this, but I just can't reconcile the logic when there are so many console and handheld games that are linear and follow the LttP formula. It really seems dishonest to call BotW "the most" Zelda game since the original. If they wanted to be defined by this open world and non linear format, shouldn't they have made more than one or two games like that in 30+ years?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I don't disagree that they were adhering to the LTTP formula for a long time but how did it "suffer" because of that? Were sales bad or something? No. Most Zelda games are fantastic and in reality, the best Zelda games made adhere to that formula. LTTP, WW, OOT, LBW... Those are my top 4 excluding BOTW.

I also don't disagree that it needed a change. I just disagree with saying the series was suffering or was ever suffering with the LTTP formula.

I will disagree with the premise that its 'the most Zelda-like game since 1991' comment though too. Considering most Zelda games are not like this one, this one is probably the least Zelda-like game of the entire series. Again, this isn't a bad thing, its a great change for the series and it needed to evolve. But saying probably the best Zelda games of all Zelda games are less Zelda-like because this one is structured more like the original is kind of silly to me when there are so many in the series that have been so successful.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
At the core of the Zelda experience is the concept of exploration.

Games that came after ALttP suffered because as they refined it's formula the exploration aspect was getting overlooked in favour of a stream-lined experience that culminated with Skyward Sword: a horribly linear overworld with excellent dungeons.

None of those games are bad (I really disliked Twilight Princess however) but they kept creeping away from what the core of the franchise was supposed to be about: exploring and figuring out things for yourself.

BotW doubles down on the core concept and is a phenomenal game for it, that is what makes it the "truest" Zelda since ALttP.

Do note that I don't mean that Wind Waker and the others didn't have a considerable exploration aspect, just that it was never at the forefront of the experience.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bought two full sets of armor and a load of the accessories in Gerudo Village, and then went to the Great Fairy and upgraded them all multiple times (several of which I could upgrade four times), and man oh man does it drive home that this game can waste your time when it wants to. That's something that could've been shrunk down to easily a thirty second experience and instead took somewhere between 5-10 minutes to do all of that even hammering skip.

That being said, love this game to death. Dethroned Final Fantasy VI as my second favorite game of all time right now, and is only behind Chrono Trigger in my book. A rare example of a title that not only lived up to the hype for me but utterly surpassed it. Still have a way to go, though.

Reactions: Pilky01

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
At the core of the Zelda experience is the concept of exploration.

Games that came after ALttP suffered because as they refined it's formula the exploration aspect was getting overlooked in favour of a stream-lined experience that culminated with Skyward Sword: a horribly linear overworld with excellent dungeons.

None of those games are bad (I really disliked Twilight Princess however) but they kept creeping away from what the core of the franchise was supposed to be about: exploring and figuring out things for yourself.

BotW doubles down on the core concept and is a phenomenal game for it, that is what makes it the "truest" Zelda since ALttP.

Do note that I don't mean that Wind Waker and the others didn't have a considerable exploration aspect, just that it was never at the forefront of the experience.

I don't necessarily think your opinion is wrong, but you are stating your opinion as fact. How do we know what the core of the franchise was supposed to be about? Maybe Nintendo felt every single game was exactly what they wanted it to be after working on the games for months/ years and spending a lot of money developing them.

Again, I don't disagree, the linear and extremely limited overworld of Skyward Sword was the pinnacle of how far they had gone in the wrong direction of being handcuffed to a linear formula and that exploration and freedom needed to be a bigger emphasis, but I can't say that it is more "right" or "true" for them doing it the BotW way. I think it makes for a more organic and exciting experience when the player can roam freely, but I would say that I legitimately missed the dungeons from SS in BotW. To me, the dungeons are on par with exploration. Every Zelda game has dungeons/ temples. BotW has 4 mini dungeons, and although there are some really cool mechanics at play there with the shifting of the divine beasts, not one of them took me longer than maybe an hour and change (I'm being generous here -- I'd say 45 mins- an hour tops) to complete, and they were done in one sitting.

Not only that, but all four had roughly the same tone/ aesthetic/ feeling/ visual concept. I know that doing a fire/water/forest theme again for the umpteenth time would be redundant, I'm not saying I need the classic (element) Temple that the series has offered up, just that it would have been cool if they had more area specific dungeons.

If you're saying exploration is the core factor of Zelda games, I'm saying that long, challenging, satisfying temples is right beside that in terms of "must have" importance, and BotW didn't have it. That isn't enough, IMO. Zelda fans should want more, I would think.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I have come to my first really major critique of the game so far, aside from minor annoyances here and there. I've only done two of the divine beasts so far, but at least from that sample size I will say that I'm more annoyed while in the "dungeons" than impressed by them. I mean, they're interesting and seeing the things move around while inside is cool, but the ah-ha moments of realization aren't that enjoyable and the dungeons themselves just feel more tiresome than anything. Boss fights aren't that big of a deal, either. Just kind of a formality.

A tad surprised, really. Absolutely love just about everything else in the game, especially the open world, and I even like the shrine puzzles, but when it comes down to the dungeons I'm just a bit underwhelmed.

Thankfully, they're like the pickle on a really good sandwich to me. Not enough to knock it down from my pantheon of greatest games by themselves, but they do keep the game from approaching my favorite game of all time slot.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The dungeons and most shrines truly are unremarkable (especially the salamander/lizard) and combat in the late game is a chore. Same goes for loot, I always have a ton of weapons, even before getting the Master Sword.

Lots of stuff to improve upon.

I am looking forward to the final expansion with a new dungeon. The Master Trials are mostly epic so I have high hopes.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't get the hate for the combat. Not every game has to be Dark Souls or some uber crazy in depth weapon management with complex combos to beat hard bosses and such. Sometimes simple is more fun. I am glad they didn't make BOTW any more complex. I like my Nintendo games for fun, relaxing gameplay. If I want more complex and adult games that's what my PC, Xbox and PS4 are for.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't get the hate for the combat. Not every game has to be Dark Souls or some uber crazy in depth weapon management with complex combos to beat hard bosses and such. Sometimes simple is more fun. I am glad they didn't make BOTW any more complex. I like my Nintendo games for fun, relaxing gameplay. If I want more complex and adult games that's what my PC, Xbox and PS4 are for.

Certainly agree that it doesn't need to be Dark Souls, I don't particularly care for those games anyway.

Combat in BotW isn't horrible, I don't think it is unbearable but I certainly avoid it most of the time: it isn't particularly fun or rewarding.

The problem with the rewarding part is how plentiful everything is and the reason everything is so plentiful is to allow any player to go anywhere after the Great Plateau. Untying that multi-laced knot to see how it all connects, works and how it could be improved is what the next game will have to tackle.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Certainly agree that it doesn't need to be Dark Souls, I don't particularly care for those games anyway.

Combat in BotW isn't horrible, I don't think it is unbearable but I certainly avoid it most of the time: it isn't particularly fun or rewarding.

The problem with the rewarding part is how plentiful everything is and the reason everything is so plentiful is to allow any player to go anywhere after the Great Plateau. Untying that multi-laced knot to see how it all connects, works and how it could be improved is what the next game will have to tackle.
I get that. Have you played the new Assassin Creed? The entire map opens up after the beginning like BOTW but there are different regions that have much harder enemies. There is no way you can survive in some of those places without being a higher level. But... you can go there and run through those areas maybe to loot some crates and stuff and as long as you avoid conflict you will be ok. Really good design and I know other games have done that but AC:O just is on my brain right now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Me last night: Alright, let's give this Trial of the Sword thing a try.
Me 20 minutes later: I'm not as good at this game as I thought I was.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Me last night: Alright, let's give this Trial of the Sword thing a try.
Me 20 minutes later: I'm not as good at this game as I thought I was.

:laugh: i remember that feeling.

re: combat- i didn't have an issue. but i still, and will always hate Lynels. i flat out avoid them.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Just got my Amiibo cards in the mail from geek.com. An absolute must purchase for anybody who wants to unlock Amiibo stuff. $15 for the full set of BOTW related Amiibo (so every Zelda amiibo from Smash Bros up until the latest 30th anniversary amiibo with Majoras Mask, Skyward Sword, etc, but no Champions amiibo).

Having all the cards in a handy little leather wallet all of a sudden makes the actual physical amiibo seem like a complete pain the ass.

very true. i only bought a few (mostly all zelda) then they started becoming more and more.... "needed" for a lack of a better word, and i never understood why nintendo (or other people) just didn't have a nintendo amiibo pack for those who want the stuff, but not the figure

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
well. if these cards work (once i get them, i got the entire Zelda Line, and then i got the Odyessy set.) - i can take my figures and get some pennies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still buy some actual Amiibo; but only ones I really, REALLY want.

For example I bought the OOT Link Amiibo the first second I saw it in stores, months before any BOTW functonality was announced, simply because that character means a lot to me. Likewise, even though I already have the Amiibo card, if I can ever find the Majora's Mask Link in stores I will but it immediately.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have a hard time staying interested in the sword trials. Just too frakin' long.

Same.

I did the first set of three and I have a hard time getting motivated for the other two. What is the point? Yeah the powered up Master Sword looks and sounds awesome but I don't need have any need for it.

I will probably get around to doing them but I didn't think I'd be giving up on them like I have.

Having to start over when you make a mistake certainly does not help. Combat being so pedestrian is another huge hurdle AFAIC.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I still buy some actual Amiibo; but only ones I really, REALLY want.

For example I bought the OOT Link Amiibo the first second I saw it in stores, months before any BOTW functonality was announced, simply because that character means a lot to me. Likewise, even though I already have the Amiibo card, if I can ever find the Majora's Mask Link in stores I will but it immediately.

i hear you. if i can ever find the zelda one, i'll get it (same w/MM Link).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad