Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
At the time of the post, it was the level 3 cold resist Armor (I believe it was the Ruto set) and it was a White Lynel.

Decided to try a Red since it was apparently easier. It was, but only because any hit did about a heart and a half instead of 6-7.

Still not sure how you're supposed to mount them. I Stasis'd it, shot it in the face, then as soon as it came out of Stasis and was stunned, I was right there by it's side ready to mount. No option to do so. Finally decided it was easier simply to wail on it while stunned than try and mount it.

Before I used to have trouble with lynel's I'd eat armour/defence increasing food and it helped a lot.

Eventually I got to the point where I barely ever got hit by them because I got very good at parrying all their attacks.

Then I got even better(lazier) and just spammed explosive arrows from 3x and 5x bows and did the two handed weapon charge attack around him where he couldn't hit me easily.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So amazingly I have gone about a week without playing BOTW. I don't know whats wrong with me. I actually played a bunch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe though and recently got addicted to Overwatch... I am thinking I need to boot Zelda back up this weekend.

Thinking about starting a new game considering I have done almost everything but complete all side quests and get all Korok seeds.

Speaking of side quests, theres one where you have to talk to a girl at an Inn and find out what kind of flower she likes or something (sorry I don't completely remember it) but its in Hateno Village I think. Anyways, I go talk to her but all I can do is rent a room. I have the quest but it's like its' glitched, or I am missing something?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Speaking of side quests, theres one where you have to talk to a girl at an Inn and find out what kind of flower she likes or something (sorry I don't completely remember it) but its in Hateno Village I think. Anyways, I go talk to her but all I can do is rent a room. I have the quest but it's like its' glitched, or I am missing something?

[spoil]You have to go around the desk and talk to her from the other side[/spoil]

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
For everything this game has done amazing, non shrine-related side quests are ass-tier.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I got to play ~5 hours on someone else's system last weekend. Not enough time to properly assess anything with a game like this but I'm going to try to anyways lol.

First thing that jumps out is how much of the formula they simply threw out the window. On the plus side, it makes it more in tune with other open worlds where they give you the freedom to do whatever you want. Even though previous titles were open worlds, they still kept you on a fairly linear track. In this game, you legitimately can do whatever you want after you get the paraglider; it's one of the more truly "open" worlds in that regard.

This game is also a legitimate sandbox. This was probably the most surprising aspect of it to me. With a lot of the new mechanics (most specifically climbing and the paraglider), you really can go anywhere in this game, and when you consider a lot of the new fighting mechanics, the game encourages you to take down enemies in unique ways. Considering we've never even had a "jump" button before, this came completely out of left field to me.

On the negative side, I think it actually loses some of its charm with how much of the formula they threw out. Say what you will about predictability, but the old Zelda formula was endearing to me. The whole aspect of "Go to Dungeon A to get Item A, which in turn unlocks the path to Dungeon B to get Item B, which... etc., etc." and looking forward to a dungeon boss was very predictable and routine, but it worked. Considering I only played 5 hours, I only went to a handful of shrines, so I have no idea how advanced or lengthy they become, but if the shrines I've done are any indicator of those to come (even if there are over 100 of them), it definitely won't scratch that itch for me. We'll see about the actual dungeons though, because I've heard those are great.

Just my initial thoughts about it, even though I'm in no place to properly critique the game.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I got to play ~5 hours on someone else's system last weekend. Not enough time to properly assess anything with a game like this but I'm going to try to anyways lol.

First thing that jumps out is how much of the formula they simply threw out the window. On the plus side, it makes it more in tune with other open worlds where they give you the freedom to do whatever you want. Even though previous titles were open worlds, they still kept you on a fairly linear track. In this game, you legitimately can do whatever you want after you get the paraglider; it's one of the more truly "open" worlds in that regard.

This game is also a legitimate sandbox. This was probably the most surprising aspect of it to me. With a lot of the new mechanics (most specifically climbing and the paraglider), you really can go anywhere in this game, and when you consider a lot of the new fighting mechanics, the game encourages you to take down enemies in unique ways. Considering we've never even had a "jump" button before, this came completely out of left field to me.

On the negative side, I think it actually loses some of its charm with how much of the formula they threw out. Say what you will about predictability, but the old Zelda formula was endearing to me. The whole aspect of "Go to Dungeon A to get Item A, which in turn unlocks the path to Dungeon B to get Item B, which... etc., etc." and looking forward to a dungeon boss was very predictable and routine, but it worked. Considering I only played 5 hours, I only went to a handful of shrines, so I have no idea how advanced or lengthy they become, but if the shrines I've done are any indicator of those to come (even if there are over 100 of them), it definitely won't scratch that itch for me. We'll see about the actual dungeons though, because I've heard those are great.

Just my initial thoughts about it, even though I'm in no place to properly critique the game.

The open world is great and I didn't think it would work for a Zelda game. But it does. It's like the most Western-style RPG a Japanese company has made and they did a great job. And yes, I am calling it an RPG even though there is not leveling or skill tree.

Completely agree with the uniqueness of combat. Here I was running around just hitting stuff with a sword and I watch a youtube of a guy who drop an electric sword, tosses an octo balloon on it, equips and uses a korok leaf to woosh the item over to a bunch of baddies, he shoots the electric sword and it electrifies all the baddies, he tosses a bomb and blows them all up. Seriously, WHO THOUGHT OF DOING THAT!? So cool.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Cashed in 45 korok seeds for another weapon slot (3 more weapons, one full page, and I will be satisfied) and thought to myself "OMG its gonna take forever to build these back up".

Well after a few hours farming for dragon parts and running about I am already back up to 25 koroks. I think I am approaching 200 (can't believe there are 900 of these!).

Also my advice to any players, cook speed boosting meals/elixirs. 3X power boosts whenever you can. Having that extra speed makes running around, combing the map for hidden treasure just so much more enjoyable.

I sold 55 rushrooms to that one guy for a side quest and now I am pissed I did it. I shoulda kept em all and made a bunch of speed boost meals.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I was the same way with the Korok seeds. Eventually due to:

A)Them being literally everywhere
B)You having general ideas of where their hiding patterns are

You rack up a ton in a sitting.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't see the point in attempting to collect all the Korok seeds. First, 900 is a ridiculous number. And the reward you get for collecting them all is a literal piece of ****, to my understanding.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't see the point in attempting to collect all the Korok seeds. First, 900 is a ridiculous number. And the reward you get for collecting them all is a literal piece of ****, to my understanding.

I dont want to collect them all, but I do want to collect enough to get my inventory screen looking nice and symmetrical. I have two rows worth of shields, which is more than enough, and am going for a full page of weapons and a full page of bows/arrows.

I like that the prize for collecting them all is a literal gold turd. I would be furious if the reward were something useful/good like an unlockable costume or something. All games with tedious collectibles should make the 100% prize something useless because 99.9% of players will never get it anyway.

I just remember the Ultimate Spider-Man game for Gamecube/PS2 where the only way to unlock the black spider-man costume was by 100%'ing the game. Total ********.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cashed in 45 korok seeds for another weapon slot (3 more weapons, one full page, and I will be satisfied) and thought to myself "OMG its gonna take forever to build these back up".

Well after a few hours farming for dragon parts and running about I am already back up to 25 koroks. I think I am approaching 200 (can't believe there are 900 of these!).

Also my advice to any players, cook speed boosting meals/elixirs. 3X power boosts whenever you can. Having that extra speed makes running around, combing the map for hidden treasure just so much more enjoyable.

I sold 55 rushrooms to that one guy for a side quest and now I am pissed I did it. I shoulda kept em all and made a bunch of speed boost meals.

First playthrough i did the rushrooms. then i realised you need them to upgrade climbing gear.
i think i never really "boosted" anything. Like, I boosted my stamina in playthrough 1, and then my hearts in playthrough 2. then i realised you can really do more w/stamina than hearts, so in the third playthrough (when i was just testing things out), i did the same thing.

i bought the ninja outfit right away and that was good at night and then i horseback rode for the most part (PT #3).

i think it was playthrough #2 where i found more chests and koroks vs. playthrough #1.

when i play again (complete w/new story and the sword test) - I know i'll be doing more koroks (to get more weapon slots, I like my bows a lot). but still will be taking things slowly (for myself)

(also between 3 playthroughs. PT #1 got a TONNE of Yiga ambushes, PT #2 i got NONE. like none on the wayside, none after i killed the master. it was so weird and PT #2 it was a balance like after every blood moon a few would pop up). RNG for the win.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Geez I am still on my original playthrough. Right around 40% complete and probably at like 160+ hours of playtime.

I proabably wont start a new save file until at least DLC1 comes out, but even still, probably wont start a new one until DLC2.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I must be missing a ton of shrine quests because I'm only at 80 and it seems like I never run across any of them randomly, even when I search around the dead spots on the map.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Geez I am still on my original playthrough. Right around 40% complete and probably at like 160+ hours of playtime.

I proabably wont start a new save file until at least DLC1 comes out, but even still, probably wont start a new one until DLC2.

what had happened was. around 80 shrines i was like i wonder if i can beat Gannon. (answer yes). so i stopped and moved on. then i got really jonesing to play BUT i didn't want to play my finished file, so i powered it up. and i got all 120 shrines and stuff and i really focused on finding things.

then new ppl kept asking questions. and it was like. hey let's see - so new file). then i 100 percented (shrines) my original file.

i will delete a new file and start all over again and really concentrate on gettting 400 koroks.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I must be missing a ton of shrine quests because I'm only at 80 and it seems like I never run across any of them randomly, even when I search around the dead spots on the map.

What I want to do is check out EVERY corner of every town and stable. Never know what I've missed.

I have 115 shrines....three more of them are quests.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
what had happened was. around 80 shrines i was like i wonder if i can beat Gannon. (answer yes). so i stopped and moved on. then i got really jonesing to play BUT i didn't want to play my finished file, so i powered it up. and i got all 120 shrines and stuff and i really focused on finding things.

then new ppl kept asking questions. and it was like. hey let's see - so new file). then i 100 percented (shrines) my original file.

i will delete a new file and start all over again and really concentrate on gettting 400 koroks.

I am bad at videogames. :laugh:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I am bad at videogames. :laugh:

aww nah...
Like for me i'm usually a completionist, but this game, while you want to go look/do everything, I really got bored at the same point.. around 80-85 shrines - i had 2 or 3 of the abilities. (my new favourite order is doing Gale, Fury, Grace and Protection). and i was tired of Korok hunting. Lynel hunting does NOTHING for me. and i know how it is easy etc, but still. so it was a grind near the end. (but i am still itching to play. AGAIN) - though not right now because i am playing Bravely Default. AWESOME.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

That's exactly what's stopping me from starting a new game. I have been playing other games more than Zelda lately and it would take me a LOT longer to get where I am now in the game and I don't want to miss out on some perks of DLC1 or DLC2 having got as far as I have now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

They are very easy to spot at night, find a mountain and you should be able to spot a few.

Speak to everyone you see, some will give shrine quests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->