Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I am afraid to google anything because I don't want any spoilers but am in need of some help.

Currently heading to tackle the first guardian (or w/e its called) and I am attempting to get shock arrows. However, the guy keeps one shoting me. I have 7 hearts and need one more shrine for the 8th. I've tried defense boost meals as well as extra hearts but I just don't do enough damage to kill him in time. Should I not be here yet? Should I have different equipment? Total defense right now is around 17 and most of the weapons I have do damage between 15-25.

I've said it before but I really have to say it again. I didn't get all the hype at first. I do now. This game will undoubtedly be in my top 3 when all said and done. It is also possible it could be my #1. Absolutely amazing.
Like you I went to the Zora area near the start of the game, but left as the enemies were generally too strong and didn't come back until Link was much stronger.

The guy shooting the thunder arrows is definitely the most difficult class of enemy in the game, so it's not a surprise he will destroy you early on. The one thing that is always true in this game is that it will never require you to have certain equipment, you always have the tools at your disposal. However, the weaker you are, the fewer options you will have and it may be more difficult so if you feel like a certain task is too tough or requires too much extra effort, it's probably a good idea to try to come back later or find a creative/different solution.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There are shock arrows in the trees around the Lynel, so if you sneak around carefully you should be able to collect enough. I think they say you need at least twenty, but truth be told you only really need a handful.

As for equipment, additional improvements are the name of the game, so getting additional fairy fountains (there are four total, though the price really amps up for the 4th one) is a must. The champion's tunic is great and can be gotten early on as soon as you find your first memory, so that'd be a good one. And for upgrades, you just need two horn shards from the dragons that you occasionally see above (which is less daunting than it sounds). The soldier's armor in Hateno village is good, too.

As for the spider guardians, yeah. They're essentially what break down the easier areas from the more difficult areas. You will get smoked for a good long while by them, but once you really get in the groove of it you'll be taking them down like it's almost nothing. Think of the Fallout games when you first find the areas with Deathclaws. You'll steer the heck away for the foreseeable future. You'll eventually tank 'em, though.

Oh ****. I didn't know that about the trees. Going to head back and see if I can snag some of them.

I did find one fairy fountain. Going to start looking for the rest. Good to know there are four.

And yeah.. those spider guardians absolutely roasted me lol. Happy to know they are beatable later on.

Definitely try to upgrade all the armor you get.

You can get the Soldier Armor pretty early in the game, and that's good for combat, especially once upgraded - when fully upgraded, it gives a total defense of 84!

The Guardians (that shoot lasers) are tough and you should probably just avoid them until later in the game. But practice your Shield Parry in the meantime - once you are strong enough to take on Guardians and are equipped with much better shields, parrying their laser blasts back at them is one of the most effective ways to fight them.

Thank you. Going to try looking for the solider armor. My equipment is really weak.
Like you I went to the Zora area near the start of the game, but left as the enemies were generally too strong and didn't come back until Link was much stronger.

The guy shooting the thunder arrows is definitely the most difficult class of enemy in the game, so it's not a surprise he will destroy you early on. The one thing that is always true in this game is that it will never require you to have certain equipment, you always have the tools at your disposal. However, the weaker you are, the fewer options you will have and it may be more difficult so if you feel like a certain task is too tough or requires too much extra effort, it's probably a good idea to try to come back later or find a creative/different solution.

Thank you. Going to take NFS advice and try to snag some arrows out of the trees. If I still get smoked I will come back later on and give it a shot.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Stumbled upon Zora Domain questline. First divine guardian quest line for me to start. Hopefully it was a good one.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Stumbled upon Zora Domain questline. First divine guardian quest line for me to start. Hopefully it was a good one.

There is no best order and the game is, overall, very easy so yes, it is a good one.

The one thing I'll say about the order: what you get for completing the Rito quest (north east corner of the map) is by far the most useful skills in the game. I did that was one last and was livid when I saw the reward you get :laugh:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
There is no best order and the game is, overall, very easy so yes, it is a good one.

The one thing I'll say about the order: what you get for completing the Rito quest (north east corner of the map) is by far the most useful skills in the game. I did that was one last and was livid when I saw the reward you get :laugh:

Alright. Maybe I'll detour and head there .

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Alright. Maybe I'll detour and head there .

I will concur.

I don’t want to give away spoilers. But the Rito Divine Beast is the easiest of the four, AND it rewards you with the most useful ability for the rest of the game.

If I were starting the game over, I would do that one first.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I did the Rito one first just purely be coincidence and yeah, its a very useful reward.

That said, I am well into my Master mode play through and don't feel too compelled to go get it. I cant think of many instances where it is absolutely crucial to anything.

I just finished the Goron temple, my first Master mode dungeon.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

I will concur.

I don’t want to give away spoilers. But the Rito Divine Beast is the easiest of the four, AND it rewards you with the most useful ability for the rest of the game.

If I were starting the game over, I would do that one first.

I started stumbling over to North East corner last night. I got up the mountain, I found a castle, I think I am heading towards Akkali? Is this the right direction to find the Rito quest?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I started stumbling over to North East corner last night. I got up the mountain, I found a castle, I think I am heading towards Akkali? Is this the right direction to find the Rito quest?

No. Its the complete opposite direction. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Did anyone get to that island where you have to get the balls put on the platforms and youre naked the entire time? I stopped there because I kept failing and havent played the game in a couple of weeks due to business. I am scared to jump back in. :laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Did anyone get to that island where you have to get the balls put on the platforms and youre naked the entire time? I stopped there because I kept failing and havent played the game in a couple of weeks due to business. I am scared to jump back in. :laugh:

Eventide Island. Took me a few tries to complete it my first time out.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

you can cheese it just drop all your gear on the raft moments before you reach the island.

it will be there when the island puts you naked.

That being said, i wouldnt suggest doing that. I thought the island was one of the coolest parts of the game especially since it puts you naked.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Can anyone answer if/how much the DLC would affect my original play-through? I've read mixed reviews on it, so I was going to wait until finishing BOTW to get the DLCs, but now I'm wondering if there are features/things I'm missing out out that would be better to have for the first playthrough?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Can anyone answer if/how much the DLC would affect my original play-through? I've read mixed reviews on it, so I was going to wait until finishing BOTW to get the DLCs, but now I'm wondering if there are features/things I'm missing out out that would be better to have for the first playthrough?

Second DLC only really comes into play after you get pretty damn far into the main game, so that's no big deal. First DLC has some random stuff tossed in and a great map mechanic, but I wouldn't say that anything in either directly impacts your play other than the initial burst of new quests that you get upon downloading the DLC. That being said, getting the Korok mask from the first DLC is a pretty big boost to finding those seeds. I don't think it'd hurt at all to get both if you're interested.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I got a lot of time playing Zelda on my latest vacation... think I logged a good 6-8 hours.

I FINALLY found Rito Village and was able to beat the Divine Beast questline. I see what you guys are saying about the reward. Seems like it will be very helpful.

After that I shot over to Zora's Domain, finished that one.

Are the Divine Beasts the new temples? Last Zelda I played was N64 and I thought the temples were far more in depth, however, I played it what 15 years ago. Thought the Divine Beasts were pretty easy as well.

Not sure when I will pick it up again because it is pretty hectic but those two quest lines were definitely fun.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Had to take a break due to busyness and got back in it last night. I feel like my stealth gear is all of a sudden worthless? I get spotted all the time now.

Speaking of, is there a best gear? I go with knight and stealth gear, and climbing gear for climbing (duh). I have no idea how far I am in the game, but so far Ive done 1 beast quest, and have just wandered around doing random side quests and shrines. I am thinking I need to head to the beast cities to unlock some cooler stuff? I have also only done the first fairy fountain thus far.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
BotW is a surprisingly good dad game so far. Nice and relaxing to wander around Hyrule with an eye occasionally going over to the baby monitor and easy to pause anywhere. Whole lot of games out there I couldn't say that for.
It absolutely is. Only game I have managed to play since my son was born. Took a small break due to work being crazy. About to finish the third Divine Beast. Got the Master Sword finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad