Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Barely into it but loving this game, it’s beautiful, fun. I’m exploring, cooking, done 3 shrines, very fun. I plan on taking it slow and exploring every inch of the game.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
A little late, but I got the switch maybe a month ago and I’ve put 70+ hours into BOTW so far. I have 3 divine beasts and about 70 shrines.

I had the absolute worst Eventide experience. I took out the Hinox, brought the orb to the platform that’s floating in the water- I put the orb down and miss the hole, and an octorok SNIPES it off the platform from a mile away and out of bounds, so I had to start the whole thing over. Absolutely maddening.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Been playing this in fits and starts since I got it at launch last March (on Wii U).

With a full-time job and two small children, my personal recreation time is limited, but I usually get in an hour or two of Zelda in a given week.

In the past 10 months, I have beaten all 120 shrines and all 4 Divine Beasts, recovered all memories, and defeated Ganon just to see the ending. I've been working on fully expanding my inventory (darn Korok seeds - only one more shield slot to go!), and collecting and upgrading all of the armor (most sets I have are levels 2-3, but my Soldier's Armor is maxed out.)

I've completed nearly all side quests - there might be a couple minor ones out there I haven't found yet, but I've completed every quest and quest chain I've come across, including all DLC side quests except for the two main ones: Trial of the Sword and Champions' Ballad.

And those two are what I will probably do next.

How hard is the Trial of the Sword? Is it doable for someone of average combat skill (keeping in mind I have a full 30 heart containers to work with)? I'm ok but not great at combat - generally go through several meals when fighting Lynels, even when using very strong armor and good weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Trials are trial and error.

If you made if through 120 shrines and all that I have no doubt figuring out how to beat the trials won't be too difficult.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The trials are pretty aggravating. I did the first set of three and decided I wasn't sure I was willing to put in the time and effort for the other two. They aren't super hard (although there are few WTF moments!!) but having to start over drives me nuts.

I am going to start the Champion's Ballad soon.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The DLC in general was super disappointing.

i've not triggered it on the switch (the Champion's ballad one) but it sounds that's the consensus. a shame.

I'm just having fun trying new ways how to explore things. I went to Zora's domain bypassing the main road. (so i missed several "Sidon" scenes (shame because he's amazing). I am really good at finding more Korok slots. (but not nearly enough hahaha).

as my amiibo figures are at home, I am not triggering a lot of thing i normally would have by now - but using my cards, I have

Full Set of: Windwaker Link + Shield
Full Set of: Skyward Sword Link
Full Set of: Fierce Deity (so i love using this get up to beat up overworld bosses)
for the first time in 4 tries i got the Sages Sword (yay!) still zero sign of the bow of light (Boo)

i'm hoping i somehow trigger twilight link (that's my favourite outfit) . but this go around for me is really just exploring the places i didn't get to before (which - even in 4 tries, there are still places that make me go "did i even know that was there?" )

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
i've not triggered it on the switch (the Champion's ballad one) but it sounds that's the consensus. a shame.

I'm just having fun trying new ways how to explore things. I went to Zora's domain bypassing the main road. (so i missed several "Sidon" scenes (shame because he's amazing). I am really good at finding more Korok slots. (but not nearly enough hahaha).

as my amiibo figures are at home, I am not triggering a lot of thing i normally would have by now - but using my cards, I have

Full Set of: Windwaker Link + Shield
Full Set of: Skyward Sword Link
Full Set of: Fierce Deity (so i love using this get up to beat up overworld bosses)
for the first time in 4 tries i got the Sages Sword (yay!) still zero sign of the bow of light (Boo)

i'm hoping i somehow trigger twilight link (that's my favourite outfit) . but this go around for me is really just exploring the places i didn't get to before (which - even in 4 tries, there are still places that make me go "did i even know that was there?" )

I really, really hate the fact that there is content in the game that you need Amiibos to unlock.

I would love to have Epona and the cool armor sets, but I am not going to go out and buy Amiibos just to get them. I wish they would have made them unlockable in-game somehow. Even if rare/random/difficult to do.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really, really hate the fact that there is content in the game that you need Amiibos to unlock.

I would love to have Epona and the cool armor sets, but I am not going to go out and buy Amiibos just to get them. I wish they would have made them unlockable in-game somehow. Even if rare/random/difficult to do.

It sucks they're Amiibo locked and I agree they should be available in game......but youre really not missing much. Some of them look good, but not better than whats available in game, and they don't really have any special bonuses.

I have had the Amiibo outfits from day 1 but pretty much never wear them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The DLC in general was super disappointing.

For 20$ it was decent value.

I certainly hoped for better but I can't say any of the new stuff was outright bad. The Trials of the Sword are not for me but they are very cool and I am glad they exist.

A good first effort for Nintendo I'd say.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So only a few hours into the game but loving it. Any tips on how to parry? I always mistime it and get slashed. Also any other fighting techniques? Usually I sneak to high ground and drop bombs and arrows early on here.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
So only a few hours into the game but loving it. Any tips on how to parry? I always mistime it and get slashed. Also any other fighting techniques? Usually I sneak to high ground and drop bombs and arrows early on here.

Embarrassed to admit it but I am multiple hundreds of hours into the game and I still don't think I know how to consistently parry.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Picking up a Switch & BoTW here in a week or two hopefully...

Consensus is skip the Amiibos? If I do pick a few up, how exactly do I use them? lol..

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Embarrassed to admit it but I am multiple hundreds of hours into the game and I still don't think I know how to consistently parry.

The only enemies I’m even somewhat good at timing the parry are the Guardians, and that’s just because that’s one of the most reliably effective ways of fighting them.

Need a good shield though. Hylian Shield is great for this.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Been playing through the Champion's Ballad DLC.

Have to say I am impressed with the new shrines. They are all among the best in the game in term of puzzle design, and often require creative use of multiple abilities.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Do you mean parry with the shield?

The best way to "git gud" is to practice on guardians. Just before they fire there is an "extra sound" (as the energy focuses) which serves as a great signal.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Do you mean parry with the shield?

The best way to "git gud" is to practice on guardians. Just before they fire there is an "extra sound" (as the energy focuses) which serves as a great signal.

Yeah with the shield. I think I hit the button as they wind up to hit me as opposed to waiting until they’re about to hit me.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There tends to be a signal when they are about to attack, for example enemies with spears tend to "twirl" them before they lunge.

You'll get the hang of it.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Finished the Champion's Ballad last night. Really pleased overall with that DLC.

Now all I have left to do in the game is the Trial of the Sword DLC quest, and finish upgrading my armor. Have to farm a bunch of star fragments and dragon scales.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay i have now beat everything in zelda BOTW. i usually do a massive replay of all zelda during the year but i'm not touching BOTW for a very long time (even though i discover something new every time - i think 4 times in a literal span of a year is a touch much)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just started the master quest. Was going between heading back into this game or really starting up MGSV, but chose to return to Hyrule.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Playing Far Cry 4 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Looking for a hockey simulator recommendation right now for PC/Steam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad