Zegras & Drysdale or Stützle & Sanderson?

Which pair of prospects?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you serious? Draft stock now means what the fans think of the prospects and not the actual NHL scouts? You're not just moving the goal posts. You've thrown them out and replaced them with garbage cans.

So actual pro scouts, who are the people that McKenzie uses to craft his list, don't count even though they're watching games live. But the guys looking for web hits and followers do?

Trying to convince me what matters is a separate discussion from calling what I said fake news. You did the latter. If you aren't aware what I'm referring to, you should ask for clarification instead of instantly calling it fake news.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ryan Wagman of Mckeen's hockey January 2020

"Before the North Dakota commit began to show off dynamic puck rushing ability, he would have profiled as a good #3, or possibly an acceptable #2 to a believer. Now, with his new development trajectory, it looks like we can bump those projections up a notch each, to a good #2 and an acceptable #1. He has gone from a player who would not ignite the fan base of the team that drafts him, simply an organizational asset, albeit a valuable one, to one who should be cause for genuine excitement."

Fair enough. I'm not sure it really disproves my overall point, but there were a few people who started elevating his stock a month or two prior to the suspension of play. The reasons for that are pretty questionable, in my opinion, but I guess there was an analyst there, (who I've never even heard of), that started suggesting these things prior to March.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sanderson will be the next Chabot.

The Sens LOVE their late born, late rising Dmen that can skate like the wind. And while both are two-way Dmen, and Chabot may learn more towards the Offensive side, and Sanderson more towards the Defensice side - both are going to be rushing pucks up the ice all night long on their respective pairings.

Again I like Drysdale. Would have been totally happy with him. But not only do I trust the Sens scouts that Sanderson is just scratching the surface, and will be the best of his class. But for all intents and purposes the Sens already have Drysdale clone in Erik Brannstrom. And Sanderson fits a lot better with a team that has Chabot and Brannstrom already in the core. They have all the tools and more to make up for whatever gap Drysdale is supposed to have over Sanderson. Chabot will still be the king anyways...

And at the very least, Sanderson appears like he will be more physically capable of playing the main shut down role than Dryadale does. Hes going to be a very athletic, physically solid, mobile, and smart Dman in his prime years.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Trying to convince me what matters is a separate discussion from calling what I said fake news. You did the latter. If you aren't aware what I'm referring to, you should ask for clarification instead of instantly calling it fake news.

Sorry for thinking that you would be intelligent enough to believe that draft stock would consist of what professionals think and not what some guy who watches Youtube highlight clips thinks. I won't make that mistake again.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I don’t understand how this thread has derailed to the point of citing where a player is pre-draft and draft day.

There’s been hockey played and sufficient data to prove the qualities of each player...

IMO Drysdale and Sanderson are the same caliber but bring different qualities. Sanderson for the Oilers would be a W.

Where people have Sanderson slated doesn’t matter, fact is Mann & Co thought Sanderson was best defence available, and other scouting agencies thought Drysdale was, to cite these things as factual data to who you would take going forward is ridiculous.

Point is, if you liked Drysdale pre draft he’s done nothing but prove you right. Same goes with Sanderson. So personally for me, I take the defensive and skating game Sanderson and couple thaybwith the fact that Stützle has slight edge over Zegras for me.

FWIW Stützle + Seider is my power pair of prospect.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Fair enough. I'm not sure it really disproves my overall point, but there were a few people who started elevating his stock a month or two prior to the suspension of play. The reasons for that are pretty questionable, in my opinion, but I guess there was an analyst there, (who I've never even heard of), that started suggesting these things prior to March.

Whether or not the reason's are valid is a discussion for another day. Ryan Wagman is the Director of Prospect Scouting for Mckeen's Hockey, he covers the USHL and NCAA for them as well. Pretty much every scouting report you will find talks about his growth in the second half of the season. If it was happening in the public scouting sphere, it's a safe assumption that it was occurring in NHL circles before hand.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
IMO Stuetzle the best of the forwards and Seider a tier above both Drysdale and Sanderson.

All these players are top tier prospects.

Oct 18, 2011
Sanderson will be the next Chabot.

The Sens LOVE their late born, late rising Dmen that can skate like the wind. And while both are two-way Dmen, and Chabot may learn more towards the Offensive side, and Sanderson more towards the Defensice side - both are going to be rushing pucks up the ice all night long on their respective pairings.

Again I like Drysdale. Would have been totally happy with him. But not only do I trust the Sens scouts that Sanderson is just scratching the surface, and will be the best of his class. But for all intents and purposes the Sens already have Drysdale clone in Erik Brannstrom. And Sanderson fits a lot better with a team that has Chabot and Brannstrom already in the core. They have all the tools and more to make up for whatever gap Drysdale is supposed to have over Sanderson. Chabot will still be the king anyways...

And at the very least, Sanderson appears like he will be more physically capable of playing the main shut down role than Dryadale does. Hes going to be a very athletic, physically solid, mobile, and smart Dman in his prime years.
Now it makes sense to me why you made that bizarre comment about Drysdale's skating recently

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Now it makes sense to me why you made that bizarre comment about Drysdale's skating recently

Its fine to believe that Sanderson is a better skater. Trust me, honestly.

Look at his age, his athletic genes (his dad had jet engines on his skates ffs), and the fact numerous famous scouting reports agree this is the case? Why do his USDP coaches rank him top 3 ever (and in the conversation for #1) to ever come through their program?

Why is this bizarre? Sanderson got drafted because of his skating, above all else. His backward skating is especially incredible, above all else. And hes know to spend his off ice life in the gym, so Im guessing people dont realize how athletic and pro made this kid is (huge hockey family that stretches across both sides of he boarder).

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Drysdale is a phenomenal skater, Sanderson was ranked better though. I think Sanderson is more fluid and efficient laterally while Drysdale is more dynamic and uses his agility more effectively. I thought Drysdale was easily best skater too pre-draft until I saw some Sanderson clips.

This is a real unique 1-2 draft punch because these two guys can be the 1-2 ranked skaters as defenders in the league soon. Remarkable skaters.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Drysdale is much better than Sanderson but Stuetzle is on a different tier to Zegras. Pretty close, going to go with the homer vote and pick the Ducks pair.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Drysdale is much better than Sanderson but Stuetzle is on a different tier to Zegras. Pretty close, going to go with the homer vote and pick the Ducks pair.

You have Stützle and Zegras on a different tier? I’ve got Stützle and Zegras a hair apart, me deciding who I think is better depending on which side of the bed I wake up on. (As far as prospects go, I understand Jimmy’s had a good pro campaign so far).

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
You have Stützle and Zegras on a different tier? I’ve got Stützle and Zegras a hair apart, me deciding who I think is better depending on which side of the bed I wake up on. (As far as prospects go, I understand Jimmy’s had a good pro campaign so far).
Stützle imo absolutely should be on a different tier considering what they’ve shown in their careers so far. Stützle got more pro experience, even more impressive WJC and currently impressing in the NHL, while Zegras is looking like a great prospect too, Stützle has done pretty much everything Zegras has while being almost full year younger.

Reactions: Masked and Kalv

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Stützle imo absolutely should be on a different tier considering what they’ve shown in their careers so far. Stützle got more pro experience, even more impressive WJC and currently impressing in the NHL, while Zegras is looking like a great prospect too, Stützle has done pretty much everything Zegras has while being almost full year younger.

Stützle
Seider

Byram
Cozens

If these were tiers at the prospect level do you place Zegras with the Stützle Seider tier or the Byram tier?

They all fall under A prospects for me, but yeah I understand the younger point. Excited to see what Zegras can do at the NHL level.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Stützle
Seider

Byram
Cozens

If these were tiers at the prospect level do you place Zegras with the Stützle Seider tier or the Byram tier?

They all fall under A prospects for me, but yeah I understand the younger point. Excited to see what Zegras can do at the NHL level.
Tbh i’d put them in this order:
Stützle
————
Byram
Zegras
Seider
———-
Cozens

Stützle for me is in tier of his own there, i think he has the ability to be a superstar in the league, while the others i see as stars with very similar potentials. I do think Cozens is the one with the lowest ceiling tho.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not asking for Bob McKenzie's aggregate of scouts lists. I am asking for opinions of fans here, considering we are discussing opinions of fans in this thread, not how scouts ranked them. Can you show some proof of fans viewing him as top 5, even top 10, prior to games stopping? Besides, I remember that McKenzie's list was the only one that had Sanderson anywhere near the top 10. Every other list I remember didn't, not even the writers and analysts.

You also didn't answer my other question that you bolded in your initial response. Many of you started talking yourselves into this idea that he projected as the next Suter, McDonagh, Slavin after games stopped being played. Do you have any proof thats wrong? You called it fake news.

Not getting into whether or not Drysdale or Sanderson is a better prospect, both are great imo, but it seems your issue regarding Sanderson's draft stock is with the average fan becoming more aware of him after the stopage rather than based on the merits of his play.

The reality is the aggregate of posters for the most part will be a trailing indicator, the vast majority simply do not watch every USHL game, instead they relly on highlights, scouting reports and draft lists which become available over time. So Mckenzie drops a list with changes based on the last month of play, fans start looking up profiles, reports and highlights, maybe catch a pre recorded game of the guys that they hadn't considered prior, discussing those players more and slowly but surely the hf fan consensus is higher on a player than they were before.

The thing is, the guys who were watching the games are the ones driving the slow uptake of those who didn't, so why someone would be more concerned with a players draft stock among HF posters en mass rather than something like Mckenzie's list is a bit strange.

Aside from that, the jump wasn't across the board, McKeens had him 10th in Jan and Mckenzie had him 9th in Jan, and both moved him up for their final rankings based on play prior to the stopage.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Between Sanderson and Drysdale, Drysdale is the better player now and in a vacuum I'd prolly edge him slightly ahead of Sanderson in the draft. But the key word is now. Sanderson was drafted because of what the Sens think he'll become. It's pointless to say Drysdale is better today so I'll take him for the next 20 years, otherwise the draft is just clicking sort on an excel sheet of statistics. Drysdale has the inside track, Sanderson has the tools to potentially surpass someday. I think they've both slightly surpassed expectations so far, but the expectations for this year have to be different for each guy.

Anyways, to the question, take the best player, the one Stutzle is in.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Sanderson / Drysale are a toss-up, like they were at the draft. I don't see how that has changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00