Zegras & Drysdale or Stützle & Sanderson?

Which pair of prospects?

• Total voters

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lead the AHL in scoring as a defensemen, impress at WJC and be one of the best players in the entire tournament.

Was your remark sarcastic or for real?
Sanderson was one of the best players for the gold medal winning team

again what has he done that says he is above Sanderson? From all accounts Sanderson is having an excellent year in the NCAA

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

again what has he done that says he is above Sanderson? From all accounts Sanderson is having an excellent year in the NCAA

It really comes down to preference, they bring different elements . Both are having solid D+1 years and both teams should be happy with the progression they are making. No wrong choice between these two at the moment. Will be a couple years before one really is able to establish themselves well ahead of the other.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Did you not read his post? Being a #1 defensemen on the best team in the AHL is more impressive then having an excellent year in the NCAA.

Edit: I'm not saying that it should be undisputed, but don't act like there isn't room for an argument that Drysdale has been better since the draft.

Reactions: wingerdinger

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I had Sanderson ahead of Drysdale before the draft and nothing has occurred to change that. Zegras is nasty but I take Stutzle.

Sens duo by a close but clear margin.

Did you not read his post? Being a #1 defensemen on the best team in the AHL is more impressive then having an excellent year in the NCAA.
This is the way I might look at things if it supported my desires & pre-conceptions, too, but it has no real logical basis.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Edit: I'm not saying that it should be undisputed, but don't act like there isn't room for an argument that Drysdale has been better since the draft.
oh gotcha so you are going by an 8 game stretch :laugh:

Reactions: Random Comment

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Feel like the consensus seems to think Stutzle is clearly above Zegras, but Drysdale is clearly above Sanderson - have to disagree.

Stutzle is more dynamic but Zegras is more cerebral. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Zegras ended up the better player.

Sanderson is just really underrated around here due to his style of play, his mediocre WJC, and his lack of elite production. He's been an absolute rock for North Dakota and a big reason why they are allowing less than 2 goals a game. He also doesn't get #1 PP time because a senior Matt Kiersted came back to QB the PP, but has looked good QBing the #2 PP alongside JBD. Feel confident projecting him as a top pairing D in the McDonagh-mold, and despite his great start in the AHL I don't think Drysdale projects to be much better, if at all.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Been the best player on the best team in the AHL at 18, following up his WJC performance.
Seriously. He has been that good in the AHL that some Ducks fans would put him ahead of Zegras.
Short sample size, but it has been really impressive.

Lead the AHL in scoring as a defensemen, impress at WJC and be one of the best players in the entire tournament.

Was your remark sarcastic or for real?

We know Drysdale is good. He's saying what has Drysdale done to be considered this much ahead of Sanderson this quickly.

That's why some Sens fans were in the Drysdale thread(basically cause some posters saying how did Sens pick Drysdale over this guy etc). It's because we see people hyping up Drysdale's play since being drafted but completely neglecting Sanderson's--or even worse, downplaying it.

What's ironic is the remark: "Was your remark sarcastic or for real?" after you just alluded to his play in the WJC as evidence for Drysdale's case, when Sanderson shutdown that team and outplayed Drysdale in the Gold medal game. Drysdale is apparently better offensively than Sanderson, he is, yet they had same points and Sanderson did it on second pair on a lesser team(by all accounts).

You see the hypocrisy? We are pumping up one player for his recent accomplishments but neglecting the other, and even taking shots at the other team for having passed him(check the Drysdale thread) in less than 5 months since they got drafted. Is Jarvis > Byfield cause of their AHL number comparisons? Sanderson also was considered the more raw player whereas Drysdale was more finished product.

TL;DR it's hilarious this raising of one player and shooting down of another just 5 months after they were drafted; what's even funnier is the evidence used for one, when it can be equally applied to the other even in the same tournament!(by measure of progression). Sanderson has been remarkable in College hockey, absolute beast recently, in all three zones.

We do know that 2 scouts had Sanderson in their top 3(ironically enough all evidence points to Ottawa and Anaheim) and no one had Drysdale right?

Both are going to be excellent talents, Drysdale could have higher ceiling for sure, but this discrepancy that is being noted here is too hyperbolic of one's ability or future ability over the other. Drysdale has done nothing of real significant note to be placed ahead of Sanderson this quickly. Drysdale ahead? Sure, but these posts placing them in diff tiers is freaking hilarious.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Before the season started I would have said Ottawa because there is a gap between Zegras and Stutzle and not between Drysdale and Sanderson.

Now I think it is closer because of how good Drysdale has been. He is near top of the scoring charts in the AHL and his offense is not even what impresses me most.

Before I would have said:
Stutzle

Zegras

Drysdale/Sanderson

Now:
Stutzle

Zegras/Drysdale

Sanderson.

you literally have them in different tiers

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
oh gotcha so you are going by an 8 game stretch :laugh:

And the WJC where Drysdale was better.
Why are people getting so touchy at people having Drysdale higher? I dont see anyone saying that Drysdale will without a doubt be better. Except the one guy who said he would be a second pairing guy...

you literally have them in different tiers

Do you know what undisputed means? Just because I have that opinion doesn't change that it can be disputed either way.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Feel like the consensus seems to think Stutzle is clearly above Zegras, but Drysdale is clearly above Sanderson - have to disagree.

Stutzle is more dynamic but Zegras is more cerebral. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Zegras ended up the better player.

Sanderson is just really underrated around here due to his style of play, his mediocre WJC, and his lack of elite production. He's been an absolute rock for North Dakota and a big reason why they are allowing less than 2 goals a game. He also doesn't get #1 PP time because a senior Matt Kiersted came back to QB the PP, but has looked good QBing the #2 PP alongside JBD. Feel confident projecting him as a top pairing D in the McDonagh-mold, and despite his great start in the AHL I don't think Drysdale projects to be much better, if at all.
Have you watched a single Gulls game.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Stutzle is more dynamic but Zegras is more cerebral. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Zegras ended up the better player

Agreed. As someone who thinks Stutzle is the best prospect in hockey, I would have no issue with people putting Zegras on that same tier and some arguing he could potentially be better. Just a remarkable player/prospect.

But this Drysdale over the-top-hype over Sanderson is getting tiresome and is unsubstantiated.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I apologize for having my own opinion and not parroting what others have said.
You’re allowed to. I’m just telling you it’s a hot take, because you would be in the huge minority for saying it. Don’t be so sensitive. You’re a controversial poster on these boards, a lot of your opinions are contrarian. Eventually, you realize going against the masses will make you more wrong than right.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You’re allowed to. I’m just telling you it’s a hot take, because you would be in the huge minority for saying it. Don’t be so sensitive. You’re a controversial poster on these boards, a lot of your opinions are contrarian. Eventually, you realize going against the masses will make you more wrong than right.

I really don't care where you place me. Why would you come to this website if you were here to aggregate opinions instead of share your own?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fake news. I know you like to lean into your little shtick here but the least you can do is not keep repeating this false narrative that has been debunked on here countless times.

If it's fake, show some proof. Where are your receipts? Where were you or anyone saying he has potential to be a 1D and comparing him to these players like Suter, McDonagh, Slavin prior to play being suspended last season?

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

With all due respect, you are wildly over-exaggerating both of these things.

There were at least five players on Sanderson's own team better than him at the World Juniors. Thats okay because it was a great team and he was an 18 year old in a tournament where 19 year olds usually have a big advantage, but claiming he was one of the best players is pretty ridiculous. I'd argue that Knight, York, Thrun, Zegras, Turcotte, Farinacci, and Boldy were all clearly better. So thats 7 players. One of the best probably refers to 3-4. Even if you disagreed with me about one or two of those names, I don't know where you find him to have been one of the best players.

And what would've you said would constitute an excellent year in the NCAA? I think being so good that he was clearly NHL ready after one year would be excellent. Being good but behind 2-3 players on his own team is less than excellent for a Top 5 pick. I know it's a pretty good level and he's a Freshman on a good team, but its a high bar for a Top 5 pick to have an excellent season.

You seem to have a different definition of excellent and one of the best than most.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I honestly can't believe the amount of Sanderson hate on hfboards it's unreal lol. This is an 18 year old kid who by the end of the WJC's was essentially their most trusted d-man, playing the final key minutes as USA secured the gold. He's still raw in some aspects, but I see his game translating well to the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, this idea that its recency bias to have Drysdale as considerably better than Sanderson is hilarious.

Was Drysdale not considered a potential top 5-10 pick his whole draft year and before that? Was Sanderson even considered a first round lock until this time a year ago?

Having Drysdale considerably higher than Sanderson is not recency bias, at all. Maybe Sanderson does end up better. These are prospects, but if there's any recency bias, it's the people who are suggesting that Sanderson is at the same level as Drysdale. These discussions would've been considered crazy a year ago. Drysdale was much more highly regarded.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I honestly can't believe the amount of Sanderson hate on hfboards it's unreal lol. This is an 18 year old kid who by the end of the WJC's was essentially their most trusted d-man, playing the final key minutes as USA secured the gold. He's still raw in some aspects, but I see his game translating well to the NHL.

If there's legitimate "hate" then that's a shame. But otherwise, there's a group of us who watch a decent amount of US hockey who've been surprised by Sanderson's pretty meteoric rise from a mid-late first to a top 5 '20 draft prospect over the last 12 months or so. I like Sanderson similarly to the way I liked Cam York, as a guy I'd probably have ranked in the #7-15 range on draft day. But I often find myself arguing against Sanderson on this board because I've always preferred Drysdale as a prospect and somewhere along the line Sanderson gained a really fervent group of advocates.

Edit: He also was not the USA's most trusted d-man. Which is fine because he was a D+1 player. He'll almost certainly be our most trusted d-man next year though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We know Drysdale is good. He's saying what has Drysdale done to be considered this much ahead of Sanderson this quickly.

That's why some Sens fans were in the Drysdale thread(basically cause some posters saying how did Sens pick Drysdale over this guy etc). It's because we see people hyping up Drysdale's play since being drafted but completely neglecting Sanderson's--or even worse, downplaying it.

What's ironic is the remark: "Was your remark sarcastic or for real?" after you just alluded to his play in the WJC as evidence for Drysdale's case, when Sanderson shutdown that team and outplayed Drysdale in the Gold medal game. Drysdale is apparently better offensively than Sanderson, he is, yet they had same points and Sanderson did it on second pair on a lesser team(by all accounts).

You see the hypocrisy? We are pumping up one player for his recent accomplishments but neglecting the other, and even taking shots at the other team for having passed him(check the Drysdale thread) in less than 5 months since they got drafted. Is Jarvis > Byfield cause of their AHL number comparisons? Sanderson also was considered the more raw player whereas Drysdale was more finished product.

TL;DR it's hilarious this raising of one player and shooting down of another just 5 months after they were drafted; what's even funnier is the evidence used for one, when it can be equally applied to the other even in the same tournament!(by measure of progression). Sanderson has been remarkable in College hockey, absolute beast recently, in all three zones.

We do know that 2 scouts had Sanderson in their top 3(ironically enough all evidence points to Ottawa and Anaheim) and no one had Drysdale right?

Both are going to be excellent talents, Drysdale could have higher ceiling for sure, but this discrepancy that is being noted here is too hyperbolic of one's ability or future ability over the other. Drysdale has done nothing of real significant note to be placed ahead of Sanderson this quickly. Drysdale ahead? Sure, but these posts placing them in diff tiers is freaking hilarious.
A lot of people, myself included, felt Drysdale was clearly ahead of Sanderson before they were drafted. To me, there has been nothing to change my mind.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
wait im confused
What exactly has Drysdale done to move past Sanderson when they were just drafted and Sanderson went higher

I'm not saying Drysdale will definitely be better than Sanderson, but Drysdale has been arguably the best rookie on the Gulls (ahead of Zegras and Dostal). He's been great on both ends of the ice (only a couple of notable mistakes which is part of being an 18 year old) and leading the defense in points. He's looked very good, and Ducks fans are not complaining about the pick so far.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If it's fake, show some proof. Where are your receipts? Where were you or anyone saying he has potential to be a 1D and comparing him to these players like Suter, McDonagh, Slavin prior to play being suspended last season?

Again? Fine but I'm not going to weigh in on your bad faith attempt to move the goal posts.

The top American in this year's draft is No. 9 ranked Jake Sanderson, a defenceman with the U.S. national U-18 team. The son of former NHL speedster forward Geoff Sanderson (the pride of Hay River in Northwest Territories) shares his father's skating ability but obviously plays a different position. He uses that speed both offensively and defensively to be the No. 2-ranked blueliner in this draft class, behind only Drysdale.
Sanderson recently dominated the U.S. Prospects Game. He was ranked as high as No. 6

Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca

He was ranked #9 overall and as high as #6 by some scouts. while games were still being played but you believe "his draft stock drastically elevates when no games are played". Plus everyone knew that there was a grouping of about a 5-8 players who could be taken after the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad