Zegras & Drysdale or Stützle & Sanderson?

Which pair of prospects?

• Total voters

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Good poll, 3 very good young duos. Stuezle is my favourite F of the group, Seider my favourite D. Ultimately, I chose the Ottawa pair - mostly for Stuetzle, who I feel is going to be a big star, and the best player of this group overall.

Love the skill level of Zegras and Raymond, but I think Stuetzle is just as skilled, AND stronger on the puck, with a better motor.

Sanderson is actually my least favourite of the dmen, but he’s still very good, I have him and Drysdale quite close.

Super early though, and these duos are all quite close at the moment IMO, I could see any of the 3 coming out on top.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I wont call you dumb and everyone gets to have an opinion.

But statements like that will take you down a path where no one cares or takes your opinion seriously anymore....

Nothing should be easy about passing on Stuetzle, and the public poll results should give you pause for thought that maybe your not seeing clearly what the rest of the planet is.

And fwiw its fine to go with the homer pick, just cause. But it would be nice to see a little bit of transparency with that part in mind....

I am not a Ducks fan. I just think those two players will be superior.

Reactions: Gliff

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Good poll, 3 very good young duos. Stuezle is my favourite F of the group, Seider my favourite D. Ultimately, I chose the Ottawa pair - mostly for Stuetzle, who I feel is going to be a big star, and the best player of this group overall.

Love the skill level of Zegras and Raymond, but I think Stuetzle is just as skilled, AND stronger on the puck, with a better motor.

Sanderson is actually my least favourite of the dmen, but he’s still very good, I have him and Drysdale quite close.

Super early though, and these duos are all quite close at the moment IMO, I could see any of the 3 coming out on top.

This is pretty much my take. I'd rank them:

1. Stutzle
2. Zegras
3. Raymond

1. Seider
2. Drysdale
3. Sanderson

So in an extremely unscientific way, I guess I see all 3 duos as equal haha. I'm definitely happy as a Sens fan to have Tim and Jake, but I love all 6 prospects and at this point any and all of them have a legit shot at being the best of the bunch.

So cheers to Wings and Ducks fans for your exciting young players!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Just out of curiosity, does any other NHL team boast a pair of forwards and defenders of this caliber?

Oil: Holloway & Bouchard or Broberg

Kings: Byfield or Turcotte & Bjornfot

Avalanche: Newhook & Byram

Devils: Holtz & Smith

Jets: Perfetti & Heinola

Leafs: Robertson & Sandin

S TIER (both blue chip)
Stutzle & Sanderson
Zegras & Drysdale
Raymond & Seider

A TIER (blue chip + a prospect)
Holloway & Bouchard
Newhook & Byram (very hard not to have in S)
Perfetti & Heinola
Byfield/Turcotte & Bjornfot

B TIER (2x a prospect)
Holtz & Smith
Robertson & Sandin (very close to a tier)

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Just out of curiosity, does any other NHL team boast a pair of forwards and defenders of this caliber?

Oil: Holloway & Bouchard or Broberg

Kings: Byfield or Turcotte & Bjornfot

Avalanche: Newhook & Byram

Devils: Holtz & Smith

Jets: Perfetti & Heinola

Leafs: Robertson & Sandin

S TIER (both blue chip)
Stutzle & Sanderson
Zegras & Drysdale
Raymond & Seider

A TIER (blue chip + a prospect)
Holloway & Bouchard
Newhook & Byram (very hard not to have in S)
Perfetti & Heinola
Byfield/Turcotte & Bjornfot

B TIER (2x a prospect)
Holtz & Smith
Robertson & Sandin (very close to a tier)
Blackhawks:

Dach & Boqvist/Mitchell (or Beaudin). Take your pick.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

About the same answer that you get in the poll imo.

Sens fans will take their guys, Ducks fans will take their guys, Both are fairly making the right choice for their teams.

But as of today Stutzle is going to play with Alex Debrincat next season, and its just impossible to turn that chance down. Maybe Giroux in a few days too. Hes a year behind Zergras, and his next season could be off the charts good.

Jake Sanderson is expected to anchor the 2nd pairing on the Sens blueline for the next decade. I dont feel like Drysdale would usurp Chabot as the top puck mover, and less suited to the tough minutes that Sanderson is expected to play one day in a top shut down role.

Sens fans and hockey fans that followed him closely enough know that Sanderson could still very easily be the better player between him and Drysdale in the long run. a stretch in the slightest..

Seider is the best D man, but not by a big enough margin to change the poll in any meaningful way imo. Stutzle and Zegras are going to be too far ahead of Raymond (and play C) for this to change, Imo

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Love all of them.

It’s really like Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Without seeing him play in the NHL, it’s hard to rank/compare Sanderson, but I expect he will be on the same level as Drysdale. Maybe less offense, but better defence, while Seider will be the best of the 3.

Already have Mo, Timmy and Raymond in my keeper pool.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think that even though Seider is the best defender right now - Raymond is the weakest option among the forwards. Not that that’s saying much, all three project to be elite.

It all comes down to how Sanderson and Drysdale prosgress in coming years.

Detroit fans take their guys.

Sens fans take their guys.

and Anaheim fans take their guys.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I think that even though Seider is the best defender right now - Raymond is the weakest option among the forwards. Not that that’s saying much, all three project to be elite.

It all comes down to how Sanderson and Drysdale prosgress in coming years.

Detroit fans take their guys.

Sens fans take their guys.

and Anaheim fans take their guys.
The difference between seider and drysdale/Sanderson is vast while the difference between Raymond and zegras/stutzle is minuscule

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
The difference between seider and drysdale/Sanderson is vast while the difference between Raymond and zegras/stutzle is minuscule

Agreed on Seider but IMO Zegras is similarly clearly the best forward. Seider and Zegras are superstars. Stutzle is a franchise player and Raymond is heading towards that level.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The difference between Raymond and Zegras/Stützle is sizeable, actually.

Raymond is a winger, the other two are centers. It’s not fair to compare Raymond to those two because they play the more important position.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Maybe I'm being a homer but for me it has to be the Wings now. Sanderson hasn't made the NHL yet and Drysdale was good this year but no where close to as good as Seider. Meanwhile Raymond was 90% as good as Stutzle and Zegras. So essentially it works out like this for me
Seider >> Drysdale >> Sanderson
Vs
Stutzle > Zegras > Raymond
Because the forwards are a lot closer than the D, I'll take the Wings duo. Any other ranking of the D and I'd call you crazy. You could rank those three forwards however you want and I'd just shrug.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Maybe I'm being a homer but for me it has to be the Wings now. Sanderson hasn't made the NHL yet and Drysdale was good this year but no where close to as good as Seider. Meanwhile Raymond was 90% as good as Stutzle and Zegras. So essentially it works out like this for me
Seider >> Drysdale >> Sanderson
Vs
Stutzle > Zegras > Raymond
Because the forwards are a lot closer than the D, I'll take the Wings duo. Any other ranking of the D and I'd call you crazy. You could rank those three forwards however you want and I'd just shrug.
Lol @ those d-men rankings.

Sanderson hasn't made the NHL yet? He played an extra year in college and is going to be in Ottawa's opening night lineup. There's a world where he is actually better than Seider (who for all his fanboys, has his flaws).

I would put it

Seider > Sanderson = Drysdale
Stutzle > Zegras >> Raymond

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Lol @ those d-men rankings.

Sanderson hasn't made the NHL yet? He played an extra year in college and is going to be in Ottawa's opening night lineup. There's a world where he is actually better than Seider (who for all his fanboys, has his flaws).

I would put it

Seider > Sanderson = Drysdale
Stutzle > Zegras >> Raymond
Perhaps there is a world where Sanderson is better than Seider, but he's not in the league yet. Being a star in college hockey leaves you far behind being a star in the NHL. There's a world where Mason McTavish is better than Stutzle. You'd be nuts to rate McTavish similarly to Stutzle though because one is an NHL star and the other just finished dominating juniors.

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but in this case, I really don't think so.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is a tough one. Think the difference between Drysdale and Seider edges over the difference between Zegras and Raymond. And the Ottawa duo isn't far behind the Anaheim duo at all. I think all around its maybe still too early. Seider is the only guy we can confidently predict the longevity of. Everyone else can reach an even higher potential cap than we've seen so far, or only see minor improvements, or regress while Sanderson is a bit more of an unknown at the NHL level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If we're expanding this to a few different duos:

* Jake Hughes>Trevor Zegras>Tim Stutzle>Lucas Raymond
* Mo Seider>Jake Sanderson>Luke Hughes>Jamie Drysdale

If I had to pick a duo, it would be: Ottawa>New Jersey>Detroit>Anaheim

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wouldnt be surprised if Sanderson or Drysdale never have a season in their career as good as the season Seider just had.

For all the talk of Zegras being the clear best forward in this thread, the other 2 are a year younger so its a little premature for that when you consider he barely outscored Raymond at all this year. Stutzle had an extra year of NHL experience than Raymond as well.

The gap between the forwards isnt big, even if you want to say theres one. The gap between the best D and the other 2 is fairly significant though

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldnt be surprised if Sanderson or Drysdale never have a season in their career as good as the season Seider just had.

For all the talk of Zegras being the clear best forward in this thread, the other 2 are a year younger so its a little premature for that when you consider he barely outscored Raymond at all this year. Stutzle had an extra year of NHL experience than Raymond as well.

The gap between the forwards isnt big, even if you want to say theres one. The gap between the best D and the other 2 is fairly significant though
Oh no, he barely outscored Raymond playing with Buddy Robinson, Sonny Milano, Deslauriers, floating Rakell and whoever else they threw with him, Dominik Simon, etc. Imagine him playing actual NHL talent like Larkin and Bertuzzi all season. Sonny Milano was literally on his way out of the league and got paired with him now all the sudden he's an NHL player. Duck fans before the season didn't even know there was a spot for him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oh no, he barely outscored Raymond playing with Buddy Robinson, Sonny Milano, Deslauriers, floating Rakell and whoever else they threw with him, Dominik Simon, etc. Imagine him playing actual NHL talent like Larkin and Bertuzzi all season. Sonny Milano was literally on his way out of the league and got paired with him now all the sudden he's an NHL player. Duck fans before the season didn't even know there was a spot for him.

Likewise, imagine playing an actual top line role and not being one of the most sheltered players in the league. Rakell isnt a bad second line winger at all. Zegras last quarter of the season most common winger was Troy Terry, and in the third quarter it was Rakell and Getzlaf.

This BS about his linemates is super overblown. Buddy Robinson and Deslauriers basically never played with him and it doesnt change the fact he was super sheltered or a year older

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Likewise, imagine playing an actual top line role and not being one of the most sheltered players in the league. Rakell isnt a bad second line winger at all. Zegras last quarter of the season most common winger was Troy Terry, and in the third quarter it was Rakell and Getzlaf.

This BS about his linemates is super overblown. Buddy Robinson and Deslauriers basically never played with him and it doesnt change the fact he was super sheltered or a year older
Yes you definitely more about the Ducks even though I'd bet you didn't watch a single full game (unless it was against your team). Duck games start at 10pm I'm sure people love staying up til 1am to watch one of the worst teams in the leauge. Rakell was putrid on the Ducks it's why they moved him and most fans wanted him gone. On a team lacking talent, the fact that a majority of fans wanted Rakell gone because of his floating and lack of of engagement tells you all you need to know about how he played. Who would have thought? playing with better players usually leads to more opportunities and more points.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yes you definitely more about the Ducks even though I'd bet you didn't watch a single full game (unless it was against your team). Duck games start at 10pm I'm sure people love staying up til 1am to watch one of the worst teams in the leauge. Rakell was putrid on the Ducks it's why they moved him and most fans wanted him gone. On a team lacking talent, the fact that a majority of fans wanted Rakell gone because of his floating and lack of of engagement tells you all you need to know about how he played. Who would have thought? playing with better players usually leads to more opportunities and more points.

The linemate issue is overblown, he didnt play with guys like Robinson like you claim. Barely played with Deslaurier and was one of the most sheltered players in the league while being a year older than Raymond. Its just really odd you decide to skip guys like Henrique, Terry or Getzlaf and list those guys who he played less time with.

And complain about Rakell all you want as a linemate on a sheltered second line but hes a multiple 30 goal scorer in the league, with consistent 2nd line production and was traded for the haul a top 6 player would normally get. He was also really good in Pittsburgh after the trade.

When you get to play behind a two way center like Getzlaf, you can focus exclusively on offense in a sheltered role and it leads to easier production... who would have thought?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad