Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Just based on the eye test (didn’t realize he was +1,000 until the end of the game), he was fantastic yesterday.

He has to be careful with where he is on the ice when he is on the ice with guys like McAvoy playing offensively aggressive, but he’s really starting to get into his zone again,

As has been the case the last few years, the telling thing will be the end of the year/playoffs and where he is that time of year. He takes about 10 games to get going, plays a solid year, and starts to struggle later in the year/playoffs. Hoping that he can muster up the strength to have a bit better late season performance this year which may be the final year. Let’s not forget, he was playing through the injury in the playoffs as well last year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Just based on the eye test (didn’t realize he was +1,000 until the end of the game), he was fantastic yesterday.

He has to be careful with where he is on the ice when he is on the ice with guys like McAvoy playing offensively aggressive, but he’s really starting to get into his zone again,

As has been the case the last few years, the telling thing will be the end of the year/playoffs and where he is that time of year. He takes about 10 games to get going, plays a solid year, and starts to struggle later in the year/playoffs. Hoping that he can muster up the strength to have a bit better late season performance this year which may be the final year. Let’s not forget, he was playing through the injury in the playoffs as well last year.

Last season Chara struggled in the playoff to the tune of +11. Best in the playoffs. Playing against top lines. Being the top PK defenseman.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I don't know if we were watching the same game. In the last 5 minutes of the game, Chara repeatedly broke up plays and cleared the puck. There's still no one better to hold a lead.
The guy is out there so much playing against the top players and is always the target for some on this board
But Clifton and Gryz is out there for three or four goals and there is basically nothing from fandom
Bruins better upgrade that fourth pairing hopefully Miller and may Moore before anther playoff run
That third pairing is now a target of others teams
Oh and I completely agree with your comments

Reactions: BruinsBtn and BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The guy is out there so much playing against the top players and is always the target for some on this board
But Clifton and Gryz is out there for three or four goals and there is basically nothing from fandom
Bruins better upgrade that fourth pairing hopefully Miller and may Moore before anther playoff run
That third pairing is now a target of others teams
Oh and I completely agree with your comments

I was saying a bit last night that Grzelcyk and Clifton were horrendous. I also said the same about Chara though. I honestly haven't been overly impressed with Grzelcyk this year. I would use him in a deal to get a Top 6 RW.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Congrats to Chara. 1500 games is a heck of a challenge. At his size, gravity and weight are a challenge and add that Chara ain’t an Icecapade on ice. That means he was all career long someone who took care of himself, trained accordingly and with huge discipline. We all know that, but still this is impressive as hell that Chara played all those tough minutes in 1500 NHL games! Wow

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Congrats to Chara. 1500 games is a heck of a challenge. At his size, gravity and weight are a challenge and add that Chara ain’t an Icecapade on ice. That means he was all career long someone who took care of himself, trained accordingly and with huge discipline. We all know that, but still this is impressive as hell that Chara played all those tough minutes in 1500 NHL games! Wow

Thats a real interesting point. Minutes.
I wonder how many total he has over those 1500 games and how that compares to the other members of the 1500 club.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I wonder how many total he has over those 1500 games and how that compares to the other members of the 1500 club.
On an average of 23 minutes a game if i am correct that is close to 35 000 minutes which is almost 600 hours. Add all the hit, fight, blocking shot is remarquable how few injury he had. I think other that his size, he is a real nature force and a tough discipline man regarding training and nutrition. I beleive and like to beleive he is in the top 1500 games group that played the toughest physical minutes!

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Hard to compare with the other guys as Hockey Reference's TOI stats only go back to 98-99, but Z has logged 35,828 regular season minutes (excluding his 25 game rookie season as there's no data) and another 4,743 playoff minutes

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
On an average of 23 minutes a game if i am correct that is close to 35 000 minutes which is almost 600 hours. Add all the hit, fight, blocking shot is remarquable how few injury he had. I think other that his size, he is a real nature force and a tough discipline man regarding training and nutrition. I beleive and like to beleive he is in the top 1500 games group that played the toughest physical minutes!

I posted this on the main board (before last night's game, so that has to be added):

Interestingly he came into the NHL right when they started tracking TOI (at least for NHL.com) in 1997/98. 36,088:32 played. So he's played 25 days, 1 hour, 28 minutes, 32 seconds.

Next closest is Thornton at 30,295:54.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Captain Zdeno Chara scored his fourth goal of the season (4-4—8 in 19 GP) after tallying five in all of 2018-19 (5-9—14 in 62 GP). With points in six of his last nine games, including at least one in each of his last three contests (2-1—3), Chara became the fourth different defenseman in NHL history to record a three-game point streak at 42 or older.

CHARAT-15114903.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Chara really is a marvel. Wherever he is getting that elixir of perpetual youth from I want some. Another captain's performance leading the way against the Sens and another step in building a pretty great season so far.

One of the most impressive things is that with him being so relatively slow on his skates he needs to be super vigilant in his positioning and his awareness of the play and where opposition players are around him. His long reach helps to a point with covering the ice and disrupting forwards, but still once he's behind a guy he's rarely going to catch him. So it's remarkable how infrequently he gets caught out and how often he's either exactly where he needs to be or close enough that he can still scramble and produce an effective check. McAvoy's half his age and already a very good hockey player and even he gets out of position more often than Big Zee does, although of course Charlie tends to push deeper into the O zone more often.

We're so lucky to still have him.

Reactions: Number6

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Reading all the nasty stories this week what some guys had to go through in the junior league or even pro league what a blessing for all the Boston upcoming and current players to have a team leader like him. Long time after he will hang them up his legacy will not only be how many points he scored or how many trophies he got but how he single-handedly changed the culture of this franchise. He set the tone.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
After 25 games approaching age 43:

Tied for 12th in EV D-man scoring at 12 points with the likes of Burns, Karlsson, Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Doughty, Fowler.

Ahead of such luminaries as Hedman, Pietrangelo, Klefbom, Giordano, Letang, Jones.

2nd among all D-men in plus/minus, and 3rd overall in the entire league.
And he’s got the best value contract in the league for what he brings - literally making half of what those guys cost

Reactions: BruinDust

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
After 25 games approaching age 43:

Tied for 12th in EV D-man scoring at 12 points with the likes of Burns, Karlsson, Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Doughty, Fowler.

Ahead of such luminaries as Hedman, Pietrangelo, Klefbom, Giordano, Letang, Jones.

2nd among all D-men in plus/minus, and 3rd overall in the entire league.
You say that like he's good or something

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad