Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And in the midst of what seems like daily news about horrible people, I present to you...

Chara Claus

With bonus Rambo Zee :laugh:

Screenshot_20191202-180754_Instagram.jpg

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Damn straight.

And always apologize. Even if you dont know why.
If you cant stomach that - grab the vacuum and get busy.

Lifes just easier.

I think I have to apply this philosophy with my boss at work.

Survival

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I love Z and it's hard to criticize someone that's had such an illustrious career.

But I wouldn't resign him . As expected at his age he has slowed way down.

Most teams recognize this and are skating in on his side without much of a problem. His decision making has also slowed down as expected and it's noticeable in passing decisions. He's having a hard time getting the puck out of end cleanly.

I think last night was one of his better games and it seems getting the puck out of his end has improved by shooting the puck off the boards instead of shooting it up in the air or making a bad pass

After stating what I think are negatives I hope he stays in the organization after he retires , Looking forward to his number in the rafters.

Looking forward to your critique
:)

Reactions: tremha and Dr Hook

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I love Z and it's hard to criticize someone that's had such an illustrious career.

Most teams recognize this and are skating in on his side without much of a problem. His decision making has also slowed down as expected and it's noticeable in passing decisions. He's having a hard time getting the puck out of end cleanly.

I think last night was one of his better games and it seems getting the puck out of his end has improved by shooting the puck off the boards instead of shooting it up in the air or making a bad pass

After stating what I think are negatives I hope he stays in the organization after he retires , Looking forward to his number in the rafters.

Bat shit crazy

He’s currently one point shy of his total production from last season and is a +18 through 30ish games which is good for 4th in the entire NHL.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Crazy talk.
Is he a Norris caliber d man? No.
But for a million r two he’s far better than anything else out there.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Bat **** crazy

He’s currently one point shy of his total production from last season and is a +18 through 30ish games which is good for 4th in the entire NHL.
It's funny reading the critiques of Chara in GDTs. The same thing people complain about in 2019 are the same things they were complaining about when he was in his mid-30s, years ago. The old man definitely does not have a perfect game, but he has actually improved in a couple areas this year over the past couple years, and as you point out he is having a pretty darn good season. I don't think some fans quite appreciate what he still brings. They see his shortcomings and fail to see how much of a blessing he continues to be for the Bs.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Give you one guess..... so far this season:

Who is in top 10 of NHL D for SHTOI?
Who is tied for 3rd place in NHL D in +/-?
Who is in top 50 of total points among all NHL D (on a 31 point pace)?
Who is on pace for 31 points despite being 87th among a NHL D in Avg PPTOI?
Who is 52nd in ATOI among NHL defensemen (despite 30 secs of Avg PPTOI)?
Who is tied for 4th among NHL D for GWG?

I wonder how many NHL Defensemen above him in those categories have his kind of Cap Hit. Not many, that’s for sure.

Add to that the fact that he seems willing to go year by year on contracts (almost no risk to team) you can argue he’s one of the better deals out there given what he returns.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I wonder how many NHL Defensemen above him in those categories have his kind of Cap Hit. Not many, that’s for sure.

Add to that the fact that he seems willing to go year by year on contracts (almost no risk to team) you can argue he’s one of the better deals out there given what he returns.

31 NHL teams wouldn love o have Chara especially at that cap hit. Heck, probably half the teams would take two Chara's

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Add to that he's the beloved and respected captain who leads by example and is really the team's enforcer.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Chara is still worth it. Every d-man gets exposed in some way throughout the course of the season. They haven't even ramped him down yet. He won't really be done until he slides to bottom pairing minutes and still can't get it done. He's a great asset in so many ways.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Same guy who is:

5th in the NHL in defensive point shares and has been on ice for only 21 ES GA

And is also:

#2 on the team in D scoring
#1 in defensive point shares
#4 in overall point shares
#2 in blocks

Some may not like it but Z is still a top pair defender in the NHL

Reactions: Number8

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Bat **** crazy

All the critique posts are very good reasons to keep Z around . And Bat **** crazy is one I hear from my wife quite often. That you all for the enlightened posts

Last edited:
Reactions: Bun Cook

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Add to that he's the beloved and respected captain who leads by example and is really the team's enforcer.

The captain part is such an underrated aspect in the hockey world when hockey media talks about the greatest leaders in the game. Yes, Mark Messier was a great leader. But Chara is right there with him.

Single handed, he instilled a culture and an attitude the moment he arrived in Boston. Bergeron jumped on board and the rest is history. It began with Chara. It's one of the reasons players want to stay in Boston. And I would say one of the reasons players are willing to take less to stay in Boston.

But it won't end when Chara is gone. Think of the group that has known nothing but the Bruins. McAvoy, Carlo, DeBrusk, Gryz, Bjork, Pasta.....

Not only have they learned what great leadership is all about, they'll pass it on to the next group to come along.

When it comes to that aspect, I am really having a tough time finding another Bruins in it's history that I can say "yeah, he was a better leader then Big Z"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad