Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Why? Where will there be room for Vaak, Zboril and/or Lauzon? I don’t expect him back in Boston after this season.

I see that too but I don't think Chara is going to be shown the door. If he wants to play and doesn't show he's cooked this season, I think he'll be re-signed. I could be wrong but I think Chara will be here until he retires and I think he'll decide when that is. Of course if they win a cup then that could change things.

Another factor could be what kind of seasons the Dmen in Providence have. If one and especially if two or more show they are uber ready, maybe then. IDK I just don't see management tell Chara "no thanks" if he wants to come back next season. One of these years it will become very clear it's time to hang them up, it maybe this year or not, who knows?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The expansion draft works in his favor since being year to year we probably will wait to sign him until after it. Hard to see Krug/Gryz both on the team after Seattle picks I think thats who they'd take.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Why? Where will there be room for Vaak, Zboril and/or Lauzon? I don’t expect him back in Boston after this season.

And I will go a step further and say I hope he isn't back in Boston after this season.

I see that too but I don't think Chara is going to be shown the door. If he wants to play and doesn't show he's cooked this season, I think he'll be re-signed. I could be wrong but I think Chara will be here until he retires and I think he'll decide when that is. Of course if they win a cup then that could change things.

Another factor could be what kind of seasons the Dmen in Providence have. If one and especially if two or more show they are uber ready, maybe then. IDK I just don't see management tell Chara "no thanks" if he wants to come back next season. One of these years it will become very clear it's time to hang them up, it maybe this year or not, who knows?

am I taking crazy pills?

First off he's still the heart and soul of that locker room. He's worn the C for 13 years and counting for a reason. Also, with all the young defenders, who do you think is the one teaching them the ropes? You think its just a coincidence that McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz, Clifton, etc step in and dont look like deer in the headlights? Or they just magically all know how to be professionals and how to carry themselves off the ice?

and lets stop the notion that Chara has lost it. He's no worse than the 2nd best defender on the team.

+22, 2nd on the team, tops among defenders
4.8 defensive PS, 2nd on the team, 2nd among defenders
3:02 SH TOI, tops on the team, tops among defenders
88 blocks, 2nd on the team, 2nd among defenders

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
We'll see how he performs this season but I would really prefer Chara to be paired with Clifton a) to limit his ES minutes & b) because I think he is a bad fit with McAvoy.
Give Chara a full compliment of PK minutes where he is still really effective but he scares me at ES.
Problem is Cassidy doesn't have the balls to demote the captain to the third pairing even though his play often suggests it is the right move.
I think Gryz-McAvoy would be a much more effective top pair with Krug-Carlo as a great second pair.
Hopefully he proves me wrong but I don't have high hopes for Big Z this season.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Z is a class act all the way. I tremendous athlete and strong competitor.
He's slowing way down as far as skating speed and and decision making.

Limiting his ice time would make him more effective.

But what do I know except how to type my opinions from the comfort of my living room.

Cassidy I'm quite sure has a much more professional opinion

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Z is a class act all the way. I tremendous athlete and strong competitor.
He's slowing way down as far as skating speed and and decision making.

Limiting his ice time would make him more effective.

But what do I know except how to type my opinions from the comfort of my living room.

Cassidy I'm quite sure has a much more professional opinion

Part of the problem in discussing this is your first sentence- at some point you have to separate the player he is from the player he was, and the human being, leader, mentor, captain that he is from his abilities on the ice. He makes Backes look fast and agile these days, and his puck handling has become beyond brutal. He is still a useful player on the PK and an ES role where he doesn't have to deal with the top lines of other teams night in and night out. It just is what it is.

I'd like him on a 3rd pair mentoring Clifton for the season and eating all the PK minutes he can handle, then gracefully step away while he is still decent. There is a point where the young defenseman, left sided guys, have to get their shot at the NHL. The longer Chara hangs on in diminishing effectiveness, the more likely those guys- Lauzon, Vaak, Zboril, Zech whomever- end up getting traded away or not re-signing.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Part of the problem in discussing this is your first sentence- at some point you have to separate the player he is from the player he was, and the human being, leader, mentor, captain that he is from his abilities on the ice. He makes Backes look fast and agile these days, and his puck handling has become beyond brutal. He is still a useful player on the PK and an ES role where he doesn't have to deal with the top lines of other teams night in and night out. It just is what it is.

I'd like him on a 3rd pair mentoring Clifton for the season and eating all the PK minutes he can handle, then gracefully step away while he is still decent. There is a point where the young defenseman, left sided guys, have to get their shot at the NHL. The longer Chara hangs on in diminishing effectiveness, the more likely those guys- Lauzon, Vaak, Zboril, Zech whomever- end up getting traded away or not re-signing.

Once again... Among Bruins defensemen.

#1 in +/-
#1 in SH TOI
#1 in expected GA
#2 in defensive point shares
#2 in blocks
#3 in CF
#2 in CFrel
Only had 40 ES total goals against

None of the kids your clutching your pearls about being blocked are giving you that defensive performance.

And stop acting like Chara had a Lucic level of decline. Yeah he isn't at an all time level anymore but he is still a no doubt Top 4 and still one of the best defensive Dmen in hockey

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Once again... Among Bruins defensemen.

#1 in +/-
#1 in SH TOI
#1 in expected GA
#2 in defensive point shares
#2 in blocks
#3 in CF
#2 in CFrel
Only had 40 ES total goals against

None of the kids your clutching your pearls about being blocked are giving you that defensive performance.

And stop acting like Chara had a Lucic level of decline. Yeah he isn't at an all time level anymore but he is still a no doubt Top 4 and still one of the best defensive Dmen in hockey

I'm curious - let's say you're Sweeney and in 8 months' time Chara is still performing at least close to his level from last season and he wants another year, but Vaak and Lauzon decide if that's the case they're not sticking around in a place with few opportunities and they make it clear that if Chara stays on then they're going elsewhere (admittedly easier for Lauzon as he'll be a RFA at that time).

Do you tell Chara to retire, or do you let the youngsters walk or be traded?

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I'm curious - let's say you're Sweeney and in 8 months' time Chara is still performing at least close to his level from last season and he wants another year, but Vaak and Lauzon decide if that's the case they're not sticking around in a place with few opportunities and they make it clear that if Chara stays on then they're going elsewhere (admittedly easier for Lauzon as he'll be a RFA at that time).

Do you tell Chara to retire, or do you let the youngsters walk or be traded?

You don't wait 8 months. You take your prospects and spare parts now and trade them for a proven top 3 right winger or even 2 and win the freaking cup while you can. This guy has set the tone and turned around this franchise single-handedly 13 years ago. He is the definition of the identity, character and leadership of the team that is respected everywhere. Once he is done you can choose from the best talent that is out there to keep wining. Everybody wants to play for a team that knows how to win. His hockey DNA will live with those players who had the privilege to learn from him and play with him long after he is gone.

You know, once history will look back in 15 or 20 years what will be the only question that will be asked ? How come Bruins with so many amazing players in their prime like Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand didn't win the cup more than once.

or

You can choose an immature players who ask you for a ransom money for their point production at the first opportunity. What has a team like Leafs to show for over last 50 year? Nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Alan Ryan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Who can tell, what will be in 6 months?

But fans of Zdeno, be prepared for another season full of critics after very mistake he will done.

If the front office aren't forecasting and planning ahead for what is likely to eventuate in the coming months and even years and how the team should look in the future then they aren't doing their job.

Chara is a walking legend and has more than earned the right to retire entirely on his terms. But management will be aware of what the possible outcomes are for him in the next few months and what the implications will be for the rest of the squad depending on how he fares and what he chooses to do. Perhaps they already know exactly what he's planning and this is all academic.

One thing is for sure - Big Z is the ultimate professional and whatever is right for the team, that's what he'll decide.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You don't wait 8 months. You take your prospects and spare parts now and trade them for a proven top 3 right winger or even 2 and win the freaking cup while you can. This guy has set the tone and turned around this franchise single-handedly 13 years ago. He is the definition of the identity, character and leadership of the team that is respected everywhere. Once he is done you can choose from the best talent that is out there to keep wining. Everybody wants to play for a team that knows how to win. His hockey DNA will live with those players who had the privilege to learn from him and play with him long after he is gone.

You know, once history will look back in 15 or 20 years what will be the only question that will be asked ? How come Bruins with so many amazing players in their prime like Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand didn't win the cup more than once.

or

You can choose an immature players who ask you for a ransom money for their point production at the first opportunity. What has a team like Leafs to show for over last 50 year? Nothing.

I could go along with that. It's risky, but it could be worth the punt. Time is certainly running out for our veteran core.

But sports team managers are rarely willing to go all in and stake too much of their futures on immediate success. The Bs front office is pretty measured, so I can't really see it happening.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'd reserve judgement after 2 games, but the whole team has not looked good minus goaltending and a few young players.
Chara looks bad through November and December and the board will be lit up with his retirement party planning.

I stall maintain we have gold in Gryz/McAvoy pairing that is unmined and Chara should be moved down and his minutes reduced. He, like Rask, performs better when used strategically.
Gonna need him fresh as a flower come playoff time, not stumbling over the finish line.

Reactions: Dr Hook and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I'd reserve judgement after 2 games, but the whole team has not looked good minus goaltending and a few young players.
Chara looks bad through November and December and the board will be lit up with his retirement party planning.

I stall maintain we have gold in Gryz/McAvoy pairing that is unmined and Chara should be moved down and his minutes reduced. He, like Rask, performs better when used strategically.
Gonna need him fresh as a flower come playoff time, not stumbling over the finish line.
Well said.

And that Gryz-McAvoy is a pairing I think we'll see/hope to see as the season goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad