Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
At worst, he's the #2 defenseman on the team. He plays against all the other team's best players, for a team that's one of the 2-3 toughest to score against in the league.

The talk of Z deserving a pay cut or the Bruins walking away is mind-boggling to me.

God bless Zdeno Chara.

Kane could have really done some damage to another player last night. Without Z, who knows what happens.

And this has been the case throughout his time with the B's. When its needed, he steps up. Great player. Great captain. Great person.

"You don't know what you've got 'till... "

Reactions: CDJ

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If Chara is willing to take a reduced role, I don't see why he won't have a spot on the 2nd pairing next year, at least. The one part of Chara I seem to always underestimate is his hockey IQ, and it is only getting better with age.

Fans and media over the years have looked to his size and little else. Consummate three zone guys who do everything well, like Bergeron or Lidstrom, never receive the credit they deserve. It's always "I want the flash" & "What have you done for me lately?" People are effing stupid.

He is an exceptionally intelligent athlete who made himself a hockey player, and a damn good one.

Perhaps one day, a Norris, a Cup, a retired number and a HOF career later, Z will be recognized properly.

Reactions: Ritmo

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just about every play unless there is no traffic within 25 feet it's flip it forward, bang it off the glass, wrap it around the boards. He's a turnover machine these days. He does more harm than good on balance most nights.

Factually inaccurate

He faces the best night in and night out. Guess which team is one of the best in the league defensively?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I cant currently really picture the B's with out him . He is still a beast , still a huge defensive force with a good shot . All this not to mention the bruins keep getting weaker and weaker toughness wise . Mcquaid gone , so Chara retires or leaves than Miller is the only legit half tough guy . Yes fighting is nothing like it used to be but gl bruins and Brad Marchand in general if we carry no one in the fighting department.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
“He does more harm than good on most nights”

I mean that’s just insane

Okay, that was a little over the top to make a point, I admit. But he is just brutal with the puck and he's slow. I do think a lot of the good defensive plays he makes are self-inflicted. If his name wasn't Zdeno Chara, if he was just some guy we signed, not many here would be defending his play. We'd be blasting Sweeney for having signed him and Cassidy for playing him like he does. Leaving the history, the legend, the past greatness aside, he isn't that great an NHL defenseman any more. Not in today's game. Adam McQuaid, for the all the good things he does and bring, most here were okay with him moving on. He's more agile and faster than Chara and a better passer, too but it wasn't good enough. That's all. I hope the Bruins don't re-sign him, but they probably will, and he'll probably still get his 20 minutes a night and prevent a more deserving player from earning a roster spot. Even now John Moore should be playing every night. Next season it might be him, or Vaak, maybe Lauzon, or someone else that should be playing and won't be.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Seriously, when the time comes, replacing this is gonna be a nightmare:

charazd77

Can you please explain me this picture?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The question is, how much longer can he play? I think the prudent move is to not re-sign him next season. We all know he is a gym rat, but so was Chris Chelios and he fell off a cliff at the same time. Now, perhaps his physical attributes can keep him going longer. But he can't be the anchor of the D anymore.

Reactions: Estlin and tremha

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The question is, how much longer can he play? I think the prudent move is to not re-sign him next season. We all know he is a gym rat, but so was Chris Chelios and he fell off a cliff at the same time. Now, perhaps his physical attributes can keep him going longer. But he can't be the anchor of the D anymore.
This has to be year 4 or 5 of people saying this. I mean eventually it will be true but you don’t bet against a player like Z in your organization. When age catches up to him and it’s time to hang them up it will be clear - until then you keep the guy and you’re thankful to have him.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Chara is playing good. He’s playing like I expected . He will have bad games. Who doesn’t. Do I like him as a number one Dman at his age... No! But he’s playing good and he is one of the leaders on the team. Just look at the Kane fight the other night. He stepped up for his teammates. Plus he’s great at the penalty kill. One other thing that goes un- noticed. Of course he turns the puck over , every Dman does . Did you Karlsson the other night. It happens.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Fans and media over the years have looked to his size and little else. Consummate three zone guys who do everything well, like Bergeron or Lidstrom, never receive the credit they deserve. It's always "I want the flash" & "What have you done for me lately?" People are effing stupid.

He is an exceptionally intelligent athlete who made himself a hockey player, and a damn good one.

Perhaps one day, a Norris, a Cup, a retired number and a HOF career later, Z will be recognized properly.

Guys like Lidstrom and Bergeron never receive the credit they deserve?

Ummm sure.

I have heard people say that Lidstrom was the best D in hockey history (blasphemy) and he has 7 Norris Trophies (some of which he didn’t deserve).

Bergeron is loved by all across the league and has 4 Selkes.

I don’t think recognition is something either lack?

Chara was a great Dman and he’s still very good defensively. That said, he is slow and that causes issues against smaller, quicker F’s. His puck handling and moving skills are also an issue. Deployed properly, he is still a good asset, but I don’t see him as a true #1 anymore, and he’s only getting older.

None of that means that he was not unbelievable, nor that he was underestimated or under appreciated by the fans.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Okay, that was a little over the top to make a point, I admit. But he is just brutal with the puck and he's slow. I do think a lot of the good defensive plays he makes are self-inflicted. If his name wasn't Zdeno Chara, if he was just some guy we signed, not many here would be defending his play. We'd be blasting Sweeney for having signed him and Cassidy for playing him like he does. Leaving the history, the legend, the past greatness aside, he isn't that great an NHL defenseman any more. Not in today's game. Adam McQuaid, for the all the good things he does and bring, most here were okay with him moving on. He's more agile and faster than Chara and a better passer, too but it wasn't good enough. That's all. I hope the Bruins don't re-sign him, but they probably will, and he'll probably still get his 20 minutes a night and prevent a more deserving player from earning a roster spot. Even now John Moore should be playing every night. Next season it might be him, or Vaak, maybe Lauzon, or someone else that should be playing and won't be.

Yeah Adam mcquaid also isn’t 1/5 the defender chara is and doesn’t play top minutes against the other teams best players.

You’re right that he is slow and handles the puck like a grenade. You’re wrong when you talk about “more deserving” players getting 20+ minutes a night, especially when this team is an elite defensive team and chara is the one that draws the hardest matchups

And no we wouldn’t be blasting them for signing an effective defenseman who logs major minutes against major talent. Anybody with a brain at least wouldn’t.

He also f***s up evander Kane’s world and that’s p tight ;)

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Despite his puckhandling and offense diminishing with age, Chara is still a top pair D

You'd be hard pressed to find a better shut down defender in the league than him right now. He still draws the toughest assignments night in and night out, and still shuts them down every single night.

Also, why do you think McAvoy has the freedom to jump into the offense more? Why does he have no issues with getting deep into the offensive zone and taking gambles?

Because he knows he has Chara sitting there to cover him.

Reactions: CDJ

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We will see how he handles the grind of the playoffs, but he once again has had a “comeback”. When he first came back from his most recent knee injury, I thought “okay, so now he finally really is done”. But lately...I’m just not noticing that many mistakes from him. I’m noticing a ton of great defensive plays, however. And he’s controlling his gaps well and taking the right angles to eliminate players, all of whom have better skating speed than him. It’s quite impressive.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I also do love how unconditionally hated Chara is by every other fan around the league.

Evander Kane jumped him and then hid his face from Chara (while still getting punched a few times) when he knew he was about to get blasted. Reading things like “well, I mean, it’s actually a pretty pathetic fight by Chara considering the height difference” actually warms my heart. Guy has been in the league 20 years and opposing fans still don’t have it in them to man up and recognize his impact.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He looked good against the Bolts- a little pep in his step that has seemed to be missing for a while. I agree with the above- let the man get his 200th!

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Murrey's update on the Chara "injury" at today's practice was great (only heard them for a short ride around 430 today, unsure if this was his standard refrain):

"Scary moment at Bruins practice today, where Zdeno Chara left practice early after being hit in the face with a puck; he is said to be fine because he is a hockey player. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad