Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
You keep giving him one year contracts until he is actually bad. He is still a top pairing Dman as much as everyone bitches and whines. He's not the best in the league and should probably begin to move towards a second pairing role as MacAvoy becomes capable of running the top pair but he is damn good and a huge mentor for the young guys.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You keep giving him one year contracts until he is actually bad. He is still a top pairing Dman as much as everyone *****es and whines. He's not the best in the league and should probably begin to move towards a second pairing role as MacAvoy becomes capable of running the top pair but he is damn good and a huge mentor for the young guys.

Chara has proven me wrong numerous times (regarding his durability) and he seems to be doing it again. He looked pretty f***ing bad when he came back from his latest injury, but is miraculously back to form. Astounding for an athlete of his size and age.

As long as we see an admirable performance in the playoffs, I would not be opposed to another one year contract. The team is setting up nicely so he is becoming less and less of a focal point which only is increasing his effectiveness. As long as he’s healthy and can still play at the highest level, I see no reason not to offer him another 1 year contract.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
You keep giving him one year contracts until he is actually bad. He is still a top pairing Dman as much as everyone *****es and whines. He's not the best in the league and should probably begin to move towards a second pairing role as MacAvoy becomes capable of running the top pair but he is damn good and a huge mentor for the young guys.
Fair points but I'm still on the fence
Absolutely can't pay him 5 million again

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
If they can’t sign their RFA’s without nickel and diming their #1 defenseman then there’s much bigger issues - FWIW I don’t think there are much bigger issues.

And Steen will not be a guy to break the bank on his first deal.
I see it differently and I don't see a scenario where a 42 year old gets 5 million, high 3's maybe but not 5.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I see it differently and I don't see a scenario where a 42 year old gets 5 million, high 3's maybe but not 5.
Here’s a scenario. What if you have the dough and the 42 year old anchors your top pair, is playing like chara, a team captain like chara, is still physically dominating like chara and is referred to in passing as Thanos by his teammates. Is that worth 5 or worth hardballing on a contract to save a couple percentage points against the cap?

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Here’s a scenario. What if you have the dough and the that 42 year old anchors your top pair, is playing like chara, a team captain like chara, is still physically dominating like chara and is referred to in passing as Thanos by his teammates. Is that worth 5 or worth hardballing on a contract to save a couple percentage points against the cap?

You get it, Volcano Man.

Reactions: Pomee

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Here’s a scenario. What if you have the dough and the 42 year old anchors your top pair, is playing like chara, a team captain like chara, is still physically dominating like chara and is referred to in passing as Thanos by his teammates. Is that worth 5 or worth hardballing on a contract to save a couple percentage points against the cap?
Lets see what the Cap is and revisit in the Spring but I doubt he gets 5 again

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

All excellent points, and I'm in no way advocating the Bruins draw a hard line in the sand on Chara's next contract.

That being said, his numbers this year are down pretty much across the board. ATOI, GPG, APG, pro-rated plus/minus, shots-per-game, hits, SHTOI, etc. He's down on average a full two minutes a game from a year ago.

So there is a legitimate case that his contract should go down when comparing his previous season which earned him this current extension, and the upcoming extension mostly based on this season.

Still, even with his numbers down across the board it's not like he's taking a massive haircut. Your still probably looking at 4-4.5 million per. I just don't think he gets exactly 5 per again. Now if he does, fine and dandy, I won't complain. I just want the big man back for another year. He's still a force unlike anything else in the sport.

Reactions: Chief Nine

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Exactly! All I know is that Chara is the captain of a team that has points in 18 straight games and now a favorite to win the Cup. He is still playing the difficult minutes, and for the most part being successful in shutting down his foes. And, very importantly, he is mentoring two young stud d-men, with a third likely coming up to the big club next season. All people need to do is watch Carlo now compared to Carlo in his first season. Carlo is looking like a mini-Z on quite a few plays -- same technique, strategy, etc. Carlo was always going to be a good d-man, but Z has made him better than just "good." That is quite clear. I'm not in favor of giving Chara money just because he has been a vital part of the team's success in the past. I am in favor of paying him because he is STILL a big part of this team's success, and his presence will be crucial come playoff time. His presence is also helping define the next generation of d-men in the organization. Thankfully DS recognizes this and will do what is right by Z and the Bs organization.

Reactions: Pomee

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Not interested in getting into a large discussion about CHARA to say there is a lot of glaring weaknesses in his game anymore would not be an unfair statement. My concern is ,is Chara objective when it comes to where he is now as an NHL player

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
They will sign him to another 1 year deal id say 4-4.5per. And again as Donny said last year it will be the easiest negotiation ever. He's not leaving Boston not with his young kids that why he has a full nmc and will retire when he feels ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->