Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Chara is a money guy. Not sure if he will play for less than he thinks he’s worth. Bruins could be in a tough spot. He not playing like a 5 mil d man but he brings intangibles that might be worth 5. Hope they settle on 4. Seems fair. Apon further thought let’s see how he does in the playoffs, that’s when it counts.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Chara is a money guy. Not sure if he will play for less than he thinks he’s worth. Bruins could be in a tough spot. He not playing like a 5 mil d man but he brings intangibles that might be worth 5. Hope they settle on 4. Seems fair. Apon further thought let’s see how he does in the playoffs, that’s when it counts.

Is there some other Chara on the Bruins I'm not aware of? Because Zdeno is as far away from a selfish, me first/pay me player as you can get

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Happy Birthday Big Z!

D18WPCGWoAEVPZC.jpg

Last edited:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Hope Chara does it the Recchi way and signs for one million. Gives the Bruins some flexibility and with 42 years of age playing shouldnt be about the money, more about winning one more cup.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just for reference about what a 5 mil d man is these days. 5 mil would have him tied for 48th in the league.

NHL Rankings

Reactions: GoBs

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
Is there some other Chara on the Bruins I'm not aware of? Because Zdeno is as far away from a selfish, me first/pay me player as you can get
So next year Bruins offer Chara x amount of dollars but tell Zdeno we are going to restrict your minutes another team offers Chara same money unlimited minutes does he stay or does he go?
Oh and for this story both teams are playoff contenders

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So next year Bruins offer Chara x amount of dollars but tell Zdeno we are going to restrict your minutes another team offers Chara same money unlimited minutes does he stay or does he go?
Stays. Chara will do anything to help this team win including sacrificing money and TOI.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
An entertaining thought: Zdeno Chara vs. Conor McGregor - The Boston Globe

If anyone in the Bruins’ dressing room was ready for this kind of physical challenge, it would be Zdeno Chara.

“That’s something I would enjoy,” he said, entertaining the idea of fighting the mixed martial artist and former Ultimate Fighting champion Conor McGregor.

Chara learned Olympic Greco-Roman wrestling from his father, Zdenek, who competed for Czechoslovakia and later coached the Slovak national team. The younger Chara used to test himself against his father’s national team competitors, and still does when he returns to Slovakia in the offseason.

“Yeah, we actually joked about it,” Chara said. “I told him my dad was a Greco-Roman wrestler, and that I wrestle every summer.”
He chuckled at the thought of battling McGregor.

“Hah. He would obviously have the upper hand,” Chara said. “That’s his profession. His grappling, and overall, his game is the best in the world. That’s why he’s the champ.”

“It would be just an honor to wrestle and grapple a little bit in the Octagon,” Chara said. “That would be fun. That’s something I grew up with, watching my dad and doing a lot of that as a part of my conditioning, and working out in the summer. That’s something I would enjoy.”

“He’s got height. He can wrestle. He’s got long arms. I don’t know,” netminder Jaroslav Halak said, after a lengthy sigh to consider the question. “[McGregor’s] just fast. He’s tiny, but he’s fast as hell. That’s why he’s so good. [Chara] can still move. It’s tough to say. But it would be fun to see.”

“With their same abilities and skills? Whew,” winger Brad Marchand said, pausing before going with, “McGregor. He’s so quick. He’s so fast. I mean, I love Big Man. He’s a tough mother. But that’s a losing battle right there.”

“Ah, I dunno,” said Marchand, a McGregor fan. “Their skills are so incredible. They can get out of situations most people can’t. But Big Man is a scary dude.”

Reactions: old blue

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Stays. Chara will do anything to help this team win including sacrificing money and TOI.

Chara is still our best PKing, toughest minutes defenseman by far even with the rapid growth of Carlo.

Even if it is a (much better) Hal Gill role on the 3rd pair playing defense only (as he is now) he has a spot on this team until the day he retires.

Reactions: old blue and Alicat

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I have mixed feelings on Chara. On the one hand, I've seen his struggles this year, specifically with skating, and I think it may be time for him to hang them up. On the other hand, I'm worried about what will happen to the defense without him there.

I would never suggest Chara is a selfish player, but the contract he agreed to for this year was basically a guaranteed $6.5 million. Sure the base was just $5 million, but he only needed 10 games to get another $1.25 million and then playoff qualification for another $0.25 million. That $6.5 million would put him tied for 16th in cap hit for defensemen. He's better than some of the defensemen above him, but it still felt like too much. I doubt his contract prevented them from signing any other players, considering the cap space they had going into the year, but that may not be the case next year.

I believe the expectation is for a roughly $3 million increase to the salary cap next year. That would give them something like $16.5 million in cap space. They're probably going to use most of that to re-sign McAvoy, Heinen, and Carlo. It's not going to leave much for Chara. Is he going to accept $3-4 million? I hope so because they likely won't be able to offer him much more than that, unless they can send some salary out through trades.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Three Million for Big Z sounds right for next year. If not and I hope it doesn’t ,they might have a choice . I think he understands his age and career wise ,a three million one year deal plus incentives works for him and the team.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
hes not leaving boston , not in his current family situation not to mention hes not in it for the money i don't believe anymore at this point
not to mention i have a feeling the management feels a lot different about him than the many who think hes done

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It's possible. Not every prospect follows the same development curve or takes the ideal path. Some click later than others. Zboril could be one. Then again, he could be a bust, but I think the jury is still out on him at this point. He just turned 22 and in his 2nd season as a pro. It is way too early to give up on the guy.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's possible. Not every prospect follows the same development curve or takes the ideal path. Some click later than others. Zboril could be one. Then again, he could be a bust, but I think the jury is still out on him at this point. He just turned 22 and in his 2nd season as a pro. It is way too early to give up on the guy.

I think we're all spoiled these days with kids making the jump to the NHL from their draft year when the reality is that's the exception and not the rule. Sometimes they take a couple of years to develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad