Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You pay the next contract on how you think he'll perform during it, not what he's done historically. If you do that, you see his points have declined greatly along with his durability, which are big reasons he had the contract he did. I'm fine with him coming back, but I want no part of breaking the bank to keep him here, and I'd definitely go year to year instead of a multi year deal.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
You pay the next contract on how you think he'll perform during it, not what he's done historically. If you do that, you see his points have declined greatly along with his durability, which are big reasons he had the contract he did. I'm fine with him coming back, but I want no part of breaking the bank to keep him here, and I'd definitely go year to year instead of a multi year deal.
I don’t think there is any chance they would go multi year,that would be crazy,it’s one year and I think should be less than this season,sorry love the guy but his play continues to decline,I also think how Bruins and how he performs in playoffs should be a factor in a contract,if Bruins got destroyed in the first round and he looked like crap,I’m not saying that they will,if team is healthy I think they can beat the Leafs,but if wrong and Leafs destroyed them,then I would say it’s time to move on from the big guy,it would be a 1 year reduced salary and vastly reduced minutes,I really don’t think having a 42 yr old as your top 2 defensive pairing would be a good plan going forward,now if Bruins win the cup ,hey let him eat cake I guess I don’t care what they give him.Lol

Reactions: hrdpuk

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Still, even with his numbers down across the board it's not like he's taking a massive haircut. Your still probably looking at 4-4.5 million per. I just don't think he gets exactly 5 per again. Now if he does, fine and dandy, I won't complain. I just want the big man back for another year. He's still a force unlike anything else in the sport.

Chara just doesn't have the hair to take a massive haircut. He can take a little off the sides, and maybe the top, but no way can it be massive.
I fail to see how a hair cut will help the cap either. I'm lost over this post. :DD

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Chara is still very much a capable NHL defenseman. I'd take him back on a 1 year, 3-4M AAV deal, at the most.

I am very thankful for all he has provided the Bruins. Having said this I think it is time for both him and the Bruins to except how limited his skills have become.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How much does total points for Ds matter?

I certainly hope he is

Norris voting: 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-5
3x AS-1
4x AS-2
13 years and counting wearing the C for an Original 6 and led them to a Cup

Chara is one of the all time great shut down defenders. 6x Norris finalist is insane. When the time comes, he waltzes in 1st ballot no question about it.

Craziest thing is as great as he was, He's only the 4th best defender to wear the B (Orr, Bourque, Shore)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I love Z, but at his age now, I have to admit I keep thinking about who else those $millions$ could be spent on?

Who could you get that can play and shut down the opponents best players, that is a top PKer, imposing frame, HoF, leader and well respected teammate?

All that for 1y commitments at half of what the top D are now getting?

Love Chara. He can play on the Bruins as long as he wants.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Who could you get that can play and shut down the opponents best players, that is a top PKer, imposing frame, HoF, leader and well respected teammate?

All that for 1y commitments at half of what the top D are now getting?

Love Chara. He can play on the Bruins as long as he wants.
ll that for 1y commitments at half of what the top D are now getting?

Ok so which is making 13.5M? Just wondering.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
So, how is Boston going to make room for Vaak, Lauzon and/or Zboril in the next year or two—to say nothing of already having Krug, Moore and Grzelcyk?

Considering Steve Kampfer has played 28 games so far this year oughta be an indicator that won’t be an issue

Reactions: missingchicklet

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Considering Steve Kampfer has played 28 games so far this year oughta be an indicator that won’t be an issue

Kampfer is a RHD and has played owing primarily to injuries to McAvoy and Miller. The fact remains that Boston has an overabundance of LHD, both in Boston and in Providence.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Kampfer is a RHD and has played owing primarily to injuries to McAvoy and Miller. The fact remains that Boston has an overabundance of LHD, both in Boston and in Providence.

The point is (and I used Kampfer as an example) that injuries will happen and you will likely see any of those guys plus Chara next year

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The point is (and I used Kampfer as an example) that injuries will happen and you will likely see any of those guys plus Chara next year

Yeah, I agree that it’s more than likely that Chara returns next year. It’s just that something will have to give with the organization’s glut of LHD, whether that will mean moving Krug in the off season or another transaction.

Winning the Stanley Cup might be a boon for Sweeney (beyond just the thrill of winning it). It would make moving on from Chara that much easier (and he might even choose to retire). It would also enable him to move someone like Backes more easily (who may become more open to being moved anywhere, given that he’d have his Cup).

Reactions: Chief Nine

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
How much does total points for Ds matter?

I certainly hope he is
Chara next goal will be the 200th of his career making him only the 22nd defenseman in the history in the game to reach that mark, so I think he's pretty safe when it comes to offensive numbers as well.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Z is a slam dunk hall of famer plus will number retired. One of my all time favourite Bruin players and wears the C great for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad