Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Hope Chara does it the Recchi way and signs for one million. Gives the Bruins some flexibility and with 42 years of age playing shouldnt be about the money, more about winning one more cup.

By all accounts, the man is notoriously cheap and concerned with money. I wouldn't expect him to accept anything much less than what another team would offer.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Keep him to team and teach the next young defensman

If he continues to occupy a roster spot, then how can those young defensemen (Vaak, Zboril and Lauzon) be taught? There is no room in Boston for them. All this talk of wanting to keep Chara on the Bruins until he retires ignores the fact that young LHD are knocking at the door.

Reactions: Ratty

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Nobody on the team is as effective as Chara in the D zone once the play is set up. Nobody on the team has the physical presence as much as Chara. He still gets points as well, and he is mentoring some of the best young D in the league. Yes, he has some warts in his game, but the man is still a force and the captain of a very good team that has developed insane chemistry on the whole. He will be back if he wants to be back next season. I do hope it's for a more team friendly amount than this season.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
The thread is about Chara.
“By all accounts” is an expression meaning according to reports.

English is not my first language, but I know all that. Thanks anyway, no offense.
Then, I repeat my question, where do these reports come from?
I'm a bit surprised to hear such a thing about Chara.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
English is not my first language, but I know all that. Thanks anyway, no offense.
Then, I repeat my question, where do these reports come from?
I'm a bit surprised to hear such a thing about Chara.
I can't quote a specific source but I've seen it mentioned that he's tight with the wallet. Not one to buy a round of drinks. Cheap may be too strong. I'm sure he'd prefer "thrifty".

Reactions: Bergyesque

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Post season play typically slows down and is much more tight than regular. Z will dominate.

disagree somewhat

did you not see what happened vs Leafs and Tampa?

this said against Auston Matthews, Chara pretty much dominated him

but against Marner or Point and the other munchkin Lightning players, they made Chara uncomfortable

even using their speed and jump checking him on several occasions .... Chara on the other hand was not able to utilize his physically since these players would frequently dodge his checks

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I can't quote a specific source but I've seen it mentioned that he's tight with the wallet. Not one to buy a round of drinks. Cheap may be too strong. I'm sure he'd prefer "thrifty".

didn't Cassidy quote that they had a cake waiting for Chara (bday) and he assumed Chara won't have any lol

maybe in regards to buying a round of drinks, he doesnt....because he doesn't drink? (guess)

I'm sure he would prefer "thrifty" but cmon now lol

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I have 2 questions:
Are you talking about Chara?
And what accounts?

1. Yes
2. Comments by teammates over the years and a story on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast. Found this on a quick Google search:

Money player - The Boston Globe

Chara's financial planning degree stamped an exclamation point on a cash-aware lifestyle that has provided endless material for his teammates. The vehicle of choice for veteran players is a luxury SUV, but according to one of his teammates, Chara keeps a Honda sedan in Sarasota, Fla., where he owns one of his offseason homes. In 2006, when the Bruins exchanged gag Christmas gifts, Chara received a wallet with a padlock holding it shut.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
didn't Cassidy quote that they had a cake waiting for Chara (bday) and he assumed Chara won't have any lol

maybe in regards to buying a round of drinks, he doesnt....because he doesn't drink? (guess)

I'm sure he would prefer "thrifty" but cmon now lol

I remember reading a Fluto article years ago where he wrote that Chara allows himself one drink per year. Hell have a glass of Japanese plumb wine after his mock Tour de France (sp?) trip.

Though he evidently made an exception after winning the cup.

Attachments

• charabottle.jpg
    charabottle.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 13

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
1. Yes
2. Comments by teammates over the years and a story on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast. Found this on a quick Google search:

Chara's financial planning degree stamped an exclamation point on a cash-aware lifestyle that has provided endless material for his teammates. The vehicle of choice for veteran players is a luxury SUV, but according to one of his teammates, Chara keeps a Honda sedan in Sarasota, Fla., where he owns one of his offseason homes. In 2006, when the Bruins exchanged gag Christmas gifts, Chara received a wallet with a padlock holding it shut.

that's called being smart with your money, not being cheap. basically there's no chance he ends up like Antoine Walker going bankrupt after making $150 million

and the gift was clearly ball busting...hence it being a GAG gift

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
that's called being smart with your money, not being cheap. basically there's no chance he ends up like Antoine Walker going bankrupt after making $150 million

and the gift was clearly ball busting...hence it being a GAG gift

Wow. He has to be cheap for that to be the gag gift.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I remember reading a Fluto article years ago where he wrote that Chara allows himself one drink per year. Hell have a glass of Japanese plumb wine after his mock Tour de France (sp?) trip.

Though he evidently made an exception after winning the cup.

He seems crazy obsessed with his health

Understandable due to profession and age

But one drink a year? Lol

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
1. Yes

It must be a Honda sedan with the seat out and Z sitting on the floor. That or he drives around with his head through the sunroof. :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I remember reading a Fluto article years ago where he wrote that Chara allows himself one drink per year.

Can you imagine, what a special moment with fanfare is it every year? :partytime: He should make a video. Slow motion video of this!

I heard a story about Chara too. When he was junior player in WHL, he should have make promise to his former agent. If he will make it to NHL, he will buy him a mercedes. Sadly, it was only a promise. Not even toy car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->