Dreger: Zaitsev on the Market

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Seems like you do give a **** since you are in every Leafs thread on here.

You really think the Leafs would retain 78% of his contract to have him play for someone else?

When did I say 78% of his contract? I said they would pay 1 million a year for the next five years. Was I not clear on that? I said I had no interest in him at 4.5, but at 3.5 I might have some interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Or the fact that he asked for a trade after being unable to effectively contribute to the Leafs despite them not having a top 4 RHD.

He had just an ok season getting some of the absolute heaviest defensive usage in the league, but sure.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm not making anything up. Zaitsev was frustrated with his role and the negative attention he was getting.
Yet you posted suggesting he couldn’t hack it. That isn’t true. That was something you made up.

He doesn’t want to be used as a shut down defenseman. Given his skill set, I don’t blame him... it’s unfortunate that the Leafs couldn’t address their blueline and actually allow him to be a second pairing d man, rather than the guy whose first over the boards to meet Patrice Bergeron.

He’s been miscast in Toronto and it’s caused a ripple effect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He had just an ok season getting some of the absolute heaviest defensive usage in the league, but sure.

I haven't checked the numbers for Zaitev, but usually when someone cites the "heaviest defensive usage" they don't bother to notice how many of the other D in that usage group excel at the role. Not everyone who plays hard minutes gets buried.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't checked the numbers for Zaitev, but usually when someone cites the "heaviest defensive usage" they don't bother to notice how many of the other D in that usage group excel at the role. Not everyone who plays hard minutes gets buried.
He and Muzzin we're our best paring in the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yet you posted suggesting he couldn’t hack it. That isn’t true. That was something you made up.

He doesn’t want to be used as a shut down defenseman. Given his skill set, I don’t blame him... it’s unfortunate that the Leafs couldn’t address their blueline and actually allow him to be a second pairing d man, rather than the guy whose first over the boards to meet Patrice Bergeron.

He’s been miscast in Toronto and it’s caused a ripple effect.

He's a marginal guy if you would use him as an offensive D - teams usually have better options there. And he's a below marginal guy if you would use him as a shutdown D. That combination makes it hard to justify the risk of taking on his contract.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No, he would be a 1 or 2 in the KHL. He is a mlnunber 4 for Pittsburgh though and a lot of other teams.

If that was the case the Leafs would have moved him long ago as their would be plenty of suitors. Reality is he's a bottom pair D

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He's a marginal guy if you would use him as an offensive D - teams usually have better options there. And he's a below marginal guy if you would use him as a shutdown D. That combination makes it hard to justify the risk of taking on his contract.
Watch Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner make 6m+ and come back to me with ‘risky contract’.

Typically, defenseman who can log 20 hard minutes while clearly playing their best in the playoffs, aren’t overly risky. It’s not like he’s 34.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
No, he would be a 1 or 2 in the KHL. He is a number 4 for Pittsburgh though and a lot of other teams.

To be the #4 in Pittsburgh a defenseman needs to be better than Jack Johnson and Gudbranson.

Hell of a thing to hang your hat on.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Go read the article where he talks about his role. Other than QoC and zone starts where he got buried, he was also the leader in on-the-fly d-zone starts after the 3rd pairing would lose possession. Babcock used him to stop the bleeding and his results are pretty ok despite this, especially if you look at the results he and Muzzin put up.

Everyone talks about Tanev being an elite defensive D and a bargain at 4.5, but Zaitsev had harder usage and better shot metrics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad