Dreger: Zaitsev on the Market

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Zaitsevs contract runs for 5 more season. Thats not a capdump for my taste.

Hes overpaid by a million like big whoop. Hes still a solid #4 and was pretty good when he went from playing with Gardiner to Muzzin.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's almost as if he asked for a trade or something.

An available RHD in a market where half the league is looking to add a RHD and still they cant seem to move him. Huh.

"Asked for a trade" or no, if there wasn't another issue there wouldn't be any shortage of available landing spots for him. The problem is he's overpaid, in a year when the cap went up less than expected so cap space is at a premium.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
An available RHD in a market where half the league is looking to add a RHD and still they cant seem to move him. Huh.

"Asked for a trade" or no, if there wasn't another issue there wouldn't be any shortage of available landing spots for him. The problem is he's overpaid, in a year when the cap went up less than expected so cap space is at a premium.

Orrrrr they are waiting until July 1?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It’s hilarious that people still think leafs management brought this on.

So you think the Leafs are happy with his play and, despite feeling the cap crunch, are totally willing to bring him back again next season?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hes overpaid by a million like big whoop. Hes still a solid #4 and was pretty good when he went from playing with Gardiner to Muzzin.

Zaitsev at this point is a reclamation project for a team with spare caspace that can afford to waste 4.5 Million in caproom if he doesn't work out. No team that is serious about competeting for anything and plans to spend close to the cap ( like say hmm the Leafs ! ) has room for that kind of experiment. So that limits the options the Leafs can trade him to signficantly and lowers his value.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
"He asked for a trade" is the new "he's only overpaid by $0.5m". Two ways to polish the same turd.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
So you think the Leafs are happy with his play and, despite feeling the cap crunch, are totally willing to bring him back again next season?

I do, yup. My gut feeling/hope, really, is Nylander is moved for a D. I wouldn’t care about retaining a million on Z either. There’s options but I’m not the GM so who knows

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You also still have Justin Holl but yeah that right side is awful for the Leafs.

A couple of prospects on the Marlies may be able to play there at some point but next year seems like a stretch . Leafs defense is just wierd to me.

If by weird you mean a steaming pile of feces? Then ya....really weird.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Their left side looks alright enough but the right side is well non-existent.
The left side (at the moment) is Rielly...Muzzin and the guy having shoulder surgery....Houston, we gotz a problem...

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sure he is a 2nd pairing D. That’s why a team starved for RHD is dying to get rid of him. He’s #5 who can play spot duty in the top 4 paid like a top 4 D.
Why are you lying? The Leafs aren’t starved to get rid of him, he requested a trade. He doesn’t want to be used as strictly a shutdown d man only playing in defensive situations.

You only make yourself look foolish by making things up.

Reactions: dfunk

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Zaitsev at this point is a reclamation project for a team with spare caspace that can afford to waste 4.5 Million in caproom if he doesn't work out. No team that is serious about competeting for anything and plans to spend close to the cap ( like say hmm the Leafs ! ) has room for that kind of experiment. So that limits the options the Leafs can trade him to signficantly and lowers his value.

Nobody is expecting a haul for him. Some mid round picks and a contract back would be totally fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad