Dreger: Zaitsev on the Market

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
To be the #4 in Pittsburgh a defenseman needs to be better than Jack Johnson and Gudbranson.

Hell of a thing to hang your hat on.
A lot of teams get thin after their top 2-3 guys... That’s precisely why it’s foolish to suggest there won’t be interest.

There isn’t more than a handful of teams who have 4 better.... so for 4.5m, he ain’t bad... especially if you’re considering paying Tyler Myers or Jake Gardiner 6+

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Sure he is a 2nd pairing D. That’s why a team starved for RHD is dying to get rid of him. He’s #5 who can play spot duty in the top 4 paid like a top 4 D.

Dubas has stated that he doesn't want to move Zaitsev, a deal would need to have a similar guy come back to replace him

It's 100% players request

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Go read the article where he talks about his role. Other than QoC and zone starts where he got buried, he was also the leader in on-the-fly d-zone starts after the 3rd pairing would lose possession. Babcock used him to stop the bleeding and his results are pretty ok despite this, especially if you look at the results he and Muzzin put up.

Everyone talks about Tanev being an elite defensive D and a bargain at 4.5, but Zaitsev had harder usage and better shot metrics.

Comparing him to a broken down version of Tanev is not high praise.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
uh yes but with that retention you want he'd be 3.5

The only way I’d consider him is if the Leafs retained or took salary back. To be honest, I’d rather not, but that’s the only way I’d consider it. Since some Leaf fans are saying they wouldn’t retain, that’s cool with me.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
@BlackFrancis
So should the coach have used an inferior player to match up to accommodate what Nikita Zaitsev wants? Or is it the coaches job to do what’s best for the team?

You’ve quoted those posts as if they’re contradicting when they aren’t. Both are true.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
When did I say 78% of his contract? I said they would pay 1 million a year for the next five years. Was I not clear on that? I said I had no interest in him at 4.5, but at 3.5 I might have some interest.

Also, to say I’m in every leafs thread is just not true.
Your post reads that you suggested the Leafs retain $3.5 million. Could’ve been the wording I suppose.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
uh yes but with that retention you want he'd be 3.5
At 3.5 he'd be a fair price, certainly not a steal.

No offence, chip the puck off the boards, defensive D (with average defensive metrics). He's a #5 or a #4 on a team really struggling on the back end. 3.5M for that is fair, but nothing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad