Dreger: Zaitsev on the Market

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did they really? Good Lord, why would they bring back Marincin?!?
Probably because to start the season they only have 3 real proven NHL D (Reilly, Muzzin, Zaitsev). Zaitsev might be traded. They likely don't want to rush Liljegren and Sandin forcing them to play top 4 right away. Until they get Dermott back from injury they're going to be scrambling to fill out 3-4/6 of their D spots.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Sure he is a 2nd pairing D. That’s why a team starved for RHD is dying to get rid of him. He’s #5 who can play spot duty in the top 4 paid like a top 4 D.

I guess you missed the part were he requested a trade out of Toronto, Dubas is just trying to oblige him. I also guess you missed the part where Dubas also said if we can't find someone to fill his spot (as a top 4 RHD) then they won't be trading.

But please continue to be ignorant to the situation.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
All the relevent underlying numbers say Zaitsev was good defensive 4 last year and has been a beast the last two playoffs on a back to back 100 point team.

Pundits and some posters releying on the eye test and purely offensive metrics dont like him and think hes a 3rd pairing scrub.

Who's right?

Actually very interested in watching how the Leafs Goals Against numbers shake out next year.....

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Can someone make up some stat to prove that Zaitsev is good on the PK despite the Leafs having been near league-worst in that area both in the regular season and playoffs and with above-average goaltending?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Probably because to start the season they only have 3 real proven NHL D (Reilly, Muzzin, Zaitsev). Zaitsev might be traded. They likely don't want to rush Liljegren and Sandin forcing them to play top 4 right away. Until they get Dermott back from injury they're going to be scrambling to fill out 3-4/6 of their D spots.

Marincin is awful. If they wanted experienced depth they could have just waited until unrestricted free agency.

Marincin was a suggestion from their "analytics department" when he was acquired from Edmonton and it was not a good tip. I can't fathom why they think there's any reason to bring him back.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marincin is awful. If they wanted experienced depth they could have just waited until unrestricted free agency.

Marincin was a suggestion from their "analytics department" when he was acquired from Edmonton and it was not a good tip. I can't fathom why they think there's any reason to bring him back.

He's a passable #7, is an experienced PKer, and is a good AHL D for 300k+ cheaper than you'd find someone with those qualities in August.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I know he is, I was just providing a possible rationale on why they signed him. They seem to have some weird attachment to the guy considering that he just keeps coming back. Problem with waiting for UFA is that if they sign Marner at 10.5-11M there's actually no cap space at all to add experienced depth unless they are making around league minimum, and those guys are likely going to see what they can get elsewhere before they take major pay cuts.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Can someone make up some stat to prove that Zaitsev is good on the PK despite the Leafs having been near league-worst in that area both in the regular season and playoffs and with above-average goaltending?

I don't think any one person could fit enough balance beams, parallel bars, or high bars in their mind to make that happen.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

You should apply to be the Leafs GM buddy, you sound way more qualified.

Marincin obviously fits some part of their plan to fit everything in during a tight year and dealing with injuries. He is a guy they are familiar with and can fill a few roles for them on Marlies and Leafs. Signed for 1 year at league minimum, makes sense for Leafs.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Off the top of my head?

Out of the 70+ nhl defenders with at least 30+ pk minutes in the playoffs the last two years, Zaitsev is 2nd for fewest goals allowed relative his teammates, and that's all in front line minutes against one of the best PPs in the league. (Pretty healthy dose of the "perfection" line)

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Off the top of my head?

Out of the 70+ nhl defenders with at least 30+ pk minutes in the playoffs the last two years, Zaitsev is 2nd for fewest goals allowed relative his teammates, and that's all in front line minutes against one of the best PPs in the league. (Pretty healthy dose of the "perfection" line)

Playoff SH TOI for the last two seasons:

Hainsey 46:56
Zaitsev 35:22
Polak 16:56
Dermott 10:06
Muzzin 8:03
Rielly 7:06

So what exactly are you hanging your hat on here, that he's better than Roman Polak or the roughly 10 minutes of an LD having to PK on their off side?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I guess you missed the part were he requested a trade out of Toronto, Dubas is just trying to oblige him. I also guess you missed the part where Dubas also said if we can't find someone to fill his spot (as a top 4 RHD) then they won't be trading.

But please continue to be ignorant to the situation.

You can't possibly be this naive, can you?

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Playoff SH TOI for the last two seasons:

Hainsey 46:56
Zaitsev 35:22
Polak 16:56
Dermott 10:06
Muzzin 8:03
Rielly 7:06

So what exactly are you hanging your hat on here, that he's better than Roman Polak or the roughly 10 minutes of an LD having to PK on their off side?

Its hard to look at underlying stats when looking at the PK and there is probably some luck involved so I just went with goals allowed when on the ice compared to your teammates in the playoffs last two years and then gave it a healthy sample size.

Zaitsev was 2nd best in the entire playoffs over the the last two years in this regard against a beast of a PP.

It's just one data point but it's a really good one I thought. Isnt that what you were looking for?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Its hard to look at underlying stats when looking at the PK and there is probably some luck involved so I just went with goals allowed when on the ice compared to your teammates in the playoffs last two years and then gave it a healthy sample size.

But you didn't give it a healthy sample size because there isn't one. Zaitsev was on for 17:34 of PK time in the playoffs this year out of 27:06. He was relatively better than a tiny sample of defensemen playing on their off side, but they were all absolutely bad. Do you really think it's meaningful that he may have been slightly better than Polak last year? Polak is at best an extremely limited third pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad