Injury Report: Zaitsev on IR; Marty Marooch recalled

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Shows how thin the Leafs are on D - guys that are ready to play that is. Hainsey gets injured and......yeah
I guess it will be safe with more Polak though
Perfect time for us to test our depth. Also to show what some of us have been saying...we aren't finished stocking the organization. If Matthews/Nylander get hurt, if Gardiner/Zaitsev get injured, if you remove all the UFAs from the lineup, can you endure?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Guess Carrick takes Zaitsev's place on the pairing with Gardiner and the others remain intact. Bigger penalty killing opportunity coming up for someone. Hope Zaitsev's back soon enough.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs fans shouldn't worry about Carrick takes Zaitsev's place. It's the next injury to Dman that could cause real problems. Best thing for Marincin was get playing time (in the AHL). Maybe he will ready if called upon.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
IR is minimum 7 days, retroactive to the injury, meaning Z is ineligible till the 22nd. That gives Carrick at least two games to try and show something and earn a roster spot back. (It would probably help his cause if Polak struggles :))

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Think Marincin over Rosen for the PK, it's the only thing the pylon wasn't bad at. Hopefully he sits though.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
IR is minimum 7 days, retroactive to the injury, meaning Z is ineligible till the 22nd. That gives Carrick at least two games to try and show something and earn a roster spot back. (It would probably help his cause if Polak struggles :))

"if" :laugh:

Also, Marincin is a weird guy. He's got the tools to be a decent bottom pairing guy, but he's his own worst enemy. Panics too easily.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Perfect time for us to test our depth. Also to show what some of us have been saying...we aren't finished stocking the organization. If Matthews/Nylander get hurt, if Gardiner/Zaitsev get injured, if you remove all the UFAs from the lineup, can you endure?

Are there any teams in the NHL who can endure losing like half of their lineup, never mind the good half?

Not really, unless their good half was never that great in the first place and they can play just as they did before: likely not that great.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
IMO he's the first choice if you're just looking for someone to sit in the pressbox.

Or, Rosen does not play PK and Marincin does.

Marincin also genuinely outplayed Rosen on the Marlies. Marincin was arguably the Marlies top defenseman when he's out there... arguably over Dermott as well (although he's injured right now so we never would know if the Leafs would have called him up instead). Rosen has been great down there, but the Leafs need the best guy and that is Marincin right now. He's also the most proven by far, which is an added bonus.

Reactions: cookie

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Why Marincin - they should give another chance to Rosen

The likelyhood of it carrying over isn’t high but Marincin has really been phenomenal so far this year in the AHL and looks like a completely different player. He’s earned this call up and I say that as someone who has despised his time as a leaf

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why Marincin - they should give another chance to Rosen

Zaitsev plays a lot of PK and shutdown minutes, those minutes have to be replaced. Marincin is the only Marlie that can do that in the NHL., imo

I also said a little while ago Dermott wont be the first Marlie d.man called up and I was trolled for saying that, smh.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly needs to play big minutes like a genuine #1D

If he can't handle them or someone else goes down we're in deep ****

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Rielly needs to play big minutes like a genuine #1D

If he can't handle them or someone else goes down we're in deep ****

Rielly actually rotates between the Kadri and Matthews line.

• other team matches up a Crosby, Mcdavid,etc against Matthews, Rielly will play with Matthews line.
  • If Babs matches Kadri against a top line, Rielly will be deployed with the Kadri line
  • PP,PK and last shutdown roles
He is being used as a #1

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly actually rotates between the Kadri and Matthews line.

• other team matches up a Crosby, Mcdavid,etc against Matthews, Rielly will play with Matthews line.
  • If Babs matches Kadri against a top line, Rielly will be deployed with the Kadri line
  • PP,PK and last shutdown roles
He is being used as a #1

He's only getting 20-23 minutes a night, he needs to play close on 27-30 minutes with as much even strength ice time as possible even if it means he doesn't PK and Marincin eats the PK minutes instead

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
He's only getting 20-23 minutes a night, he needs to play close on 27-30 minutes with as much even strength ice time as possible even if it means he doesn't PK and Marincin eats the PK minutes instead

27-30 minutes is a lot over the course of the regular season. Unless you're only talking about while Zaitsev is out in which case I agree except maybe closer to 25-ish minutes

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
27-30 minutes is a lot over the course of the regular season. Unless you're only talking about while Zaitsev is out in which case I agree except maybe closer to 25-ish minutes

Just while Zaitsev is out, if it's only going to be for a few weeks a young smooth skating guy like Rielly can eat those minutes, then back to how he was being used before Zaitsev went down

Hopefully it's just a week or two, if it's a broken bone or something longer term we've got some serious issues

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I might let Borgman sit, actually. With Zaitsev gone, we need someone who can slide in next to Gardiner playing some large ES minutes. We also need someone to replace his role on the PK, or more accurately Polak's role as he'll slide up as our #1 RD on the PK.

Carrick can give us the first, but not really the latter. I wouldn't trust Marincin with that kind of ES minutes, but he is a terrific PK guy. Borgman in comparison is a bit of a luxury development piece. He basically only plays third pairing ES minutes.

So basically:

Carrick takes Zaitsevs EV minutes.
Marincin takes Brogmans EV minutes, and Zaitsevs PK minutes.

I think that's likely the best way to go.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I might let Borgman sit, actually. With Zaitsev gone, we need someone who can slide in next to Gardiner playing some large ES minutes. We also need someone to replace his role on the PK, or more accurately Polak's role as he'll slide up as our #1 RD on the PK.

Carrick can give us the first, but not really the latter. I wouldn't trust Marincin with that kind of ES minutes, but he is a terrific PK guy. Borgman in comparison is a bit of a luxury development piece. He basically only plays third pairing ES minutes.

So basically:

Carrick takes Zaitsevs EV minutes.
Marincin takes Brogmans EV minutes, and Zaitsevs PK minutes.

I think that's likely the best way to go.

Babcock doesn't trust Carrick though so it's hard to imagine he's going to give him big ES minutes on the second pair beside Gardiner

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Zaitsev has been trash so not worried about that

However marincin is the biggest pile of trash in the league

We will continue to suck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad