Injury Report: Zaitsev on IR; Marty Marooch recalled

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That means Polak will be getting more ice time now. I hope instead they give Rielly an uptick in ice time and leave Polak at the same minutes. But now you have Polak, Borgman, Carrick as the bottom 3 D. Not good. As for the title, at first I thought "who the hell is Marty Marooch?" LOL

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Carrick and Gardiner played well together last year. If Babcock uses them together again this time they will probably be a better pairing than Gardiner and Zaitsev has been.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Will Marincin needs waivers to go back down?

EDIT:

Correction -
  1. A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Shows how thin the Leafs are on D - guys that are ready to play that is. Hainsey gets injured and......yeah
I guess it will be safe with more Polak though

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I really hope that Marincin doesn't play over Carrick. But with Babcock, you never know...

I still think we'd be much better off putting Rielly on the right and bringing up Dermott. He should have made the team out of camp.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Like someone said Gardiner-Carrick was a decent pairing last year. The thing is Carrick has not played bad this year, he shouldn't be sitting out while Polak continues to play.

Reactions: ToMaLe

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Polak
Borgman (pressbox)

That is what I expect. Maybe the Leafs consider sending Borgman down once Zaitsev comes back... We'd probably have a better defense with Marincin playing PK and taking defensive minutes away from Gardiner, neither of which Borgman is capable of doing right now.

FTR, Marincin was one of the Marlies top defensemen this year. He is also one of the older guys, but he earned the call up based on play more than anything else. Dermott and Holl also were worth consideration, but Marincin is more proven at the NHL level than either. Here's hoping that he either helps us improve our bottom pairing or plays well enough that a team is willing to give something for him. Besides the slightly higher cap hit, that (and taking on a cap dump since he was on the LTIR when we dealt him) was how we got a 5th out of Holzer.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully this is just a minor thing and it can turn into a net positive.

Z and Gards are both pretty good players, but together they are a complete tire-fire. At least this forces Babs to change up his blueline pairings, maybe something good can come of it. Borg has developed well so far this season and should be the likely candidate to move up, so you can most certainly pencil him in for #6 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->