Injury Report: Zaitsev on IR; Marty Marooch recalled

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marincin's problem, to my eyes, is his high rate of failure completing passes against average pressure. This tendency is a killer. Defending in the defensive zone, he isn't terrible at all. Although he looks a bit awkward, he's actually good at cutting off passing and shooting lanes and about average in the corners.
He is very good at defending zone entries too with that long reach of his.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
And then he played 82 games of awful hockey.

What is more represenative of his career?

Komarov was an All Star that season too

We really don't know how last season should represent his career. He only played 25 games last year... in the 26 game at the end of 2015/2016 he was playing really good hockey....

All I was saying was that Marincin HAS played good hockey in the past (and that I think he gets too much flack on these parts). If you looked at my first post, I acknowledged that he had a poor year last year.... This could possibly be attributed to the fact he never got into any kind of groove and only played 25 games. Who knows, but maybe he would have played better if given a better opportunity (again, not saying he deserved that opportunity either).

Its not like he's 'over the hill' either.... He's only 25 which is the same age a Komarov when he first came to the NHL (keeping with your Komarov reference).

I'm not suggesting Marincin is going to be our savior, but I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses Carrick on our depth chart and shows that he's a solid 3rd pairing guy.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Marincin defends zone entries and makes good pinches to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Funnily enough, that kind of makes him an inverse Polak. That said, Marincin's transition game is every bit as terrible, he throws pucks off the glass like it's going out of style and we'll be icing the puck all game if those two ever share the ice. He's a player with enough tools but no toolbox whatsoever. He's a disaster under pressure, panics with the puck, and is only consistent when he's consistently bad. If he gets his head screwed on straight and sorts out his mental game, he might be an effective third pairing guy somewhere else, but I really would rather not bet on that. If the guy needs consistency and a groove to get going, that's not what we want in a depth option.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
WTH is this? Seriously he's the best part of our bottom 3 right now. Kid is playing so well. And you'd think to send him to an already over crowded marlies?

It's not overcrowded. He can take Marincin's spot. There's room for him in the 4 pair rotation, and maybe he can learn PK or PP so he can actually play a decent amount of minutes.

He's also playing the lowest average TOI in a sheltered role of anyone in the top 7, and he is not even doing that great. His possession stats are average at best for someone with his zone split even despite his role. If he was so great, why can he not play more than 14 minutes a night and some PK time. The Leafs could desperately use it from him right now.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Marincin was the Marlies' best defenseman by a mile during his time in the A. Hopefully that confidence boost can translate into more consistency with the big club, because when he's on, he's a pretty effective depth guy who still, I think, has some untapped potential.

Some of his weaknesses (controlled break-outs, getting point shots through) do parallel the team's overall weaknesses of late, but he's also great at denying zone entries and getting in passing/shooting lanes which will help if he gets into the lineup before Zaitsev returns.

Reactions: bobermay and Jeypic

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Marincin was the Marlies' best defenseman by a mile during his time in the A. Hopefully that confidence boost can translate into more consistency with the big club, because when he's on, he's a pretty effective depth guy who still, I think, has some untapped potential.

Some of his weaknesses (controlled break-outs, getting point shots through) do parallel the team's overall weaknesses of late, but he's also great at denying zone entries and getting in passing/shooting lanes which will help if he gets into the lineup before Zaitsev returns.
i was curious how marincin looked compared to dermott and liljegren. Appreciate the insight as I don’t get to watch much ahl.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

They should keep him there so he can be good at something.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
There are a few posters who has convinced people that liljegren is already an elite AHL d'man. :)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Marty Marooch? I seriously would sign a player with that name just for the lulz.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Are 5-7-1 since he got injured in Detroit, he's more valuable than a lot of people would like to admit and points to a need for depth on the blueline

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We get Rielly back and then we are getting our MoJo going.

We don't need to trade for defense really do we?????

This is a solid defense coning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad