Injury Report: Zaitsev on IR; Marty Marooch recalled

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Polak
Borgman (pressbox)

That is what I expect. Maybe the Leafs consider sending Borgman down once Zaitsev comes back... We'd probably have a better defense with Marincin playing PK and taking defensive minutes away from Gardiner, neither of which Borgman is capable of doing right now.

FTR, Marincin was one of the Marlies top defensemen this year. He is also one of the older guys, but he earned the call up based on play more than anything else. Dermott and Holl also were worth consideration, but Marincin is more proven at the NHL level than either. Here's hoping that he either helps us improve our bottom pairing or plays well enough that a team is willing to give something for him. Besides the slightly higher cap hit, that (and taking on a cap dump since he was on the LTIR when we dealt him) was how we got a 5th out of Holzer.

WTH is this? Seriously he's the best part of our bottom 3 right now. Kid is playing so well. And you'd think to send him to an already over crowded marlies?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
That's a bad take. 7 points in 18 games and +13(2nd best on the marlies) is a very good ahl defenseman.

Just calling what I’ve seen from him.

He has the same issues in the AHL as he did in the NHL. Poor decision making skills with the puck, and gets caught out of position. He doesn’t recover well when caught. A good team can help mask faults, but his fundamental issues are still there. Points and plus/minus don’t tell the whole tale.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I will never forgive Marincin for last year's playoffs. He cost us huge. Terrible dman.
yea thats when I first started doubting Babs. As soon as he brought Marincin in, I said good bye playoffs as he will kill us for sure and sure as hell he did. Marchenko was a better option, any Marlie, Christ any Solar Bear, my grandmother....

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Marincin has been VERY good for the Marlies. Part of the best defense in the AHL. This gives us a good reason to FINALLY sit Polak and insert someone that can be more effective in Carrick.

We never should have signed Polak and should have just kept Marincin, even if he struggled in pre-season. But from the look of things he'll probably be the new 7th defenseman.

Anyone asking why Rosen wasn't called up, it's simple... He's been struggling.
I don't think the Leafs upper management foresaw Babcock killing Hainsey with PK minutes, even with Marincin, Zaitsev, and Polak on the team. If anything, it speaks to how bad a training camp Marincin had that Babcock went ahead and played a guy like Polak who is still coming up to speed after returning from the injury.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
WTH is this? Seriously he's the best part of our bottom 3 right now. Kid is playing so well. And you'd think to send him to an already over crowded marlies?
I watched borgman live fri nite in Detroit ,,,he gets better almost every shift and he is engaged ,tons of leafs fans there ,
general consensous ,,,at least from us who have lived in the babcock era in the Windsor/Detroit market ..how long before babcock demands a 28 minute a night defenceman ,
even wings fans ,they are ready to break the bank on karlson .

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The bottomline, every team had a chance to take him for nothing and passed. I don't care how he looks in the minors because that's what he is, a minor league D man. I doubt he plays at all, please nobody else get hurt.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think people are kinda underrating Marincin. He had a poor year last year, but the year before he was playing like a good top 4 dman at times.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I guess this plugs Carrick in next to Gardiner and keeps the Borgman/Polak pair as the 3rd pair.

Marincin has played both sides so he offers more versatility than other Left shot recalls. The worst thing is recalling a prospect defender like Dermott then putting him out on his less comfortable side or forcing Gardiner to play the other side.

Holl, Lo Verde and of course Liljegren are right shots.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think people are kinda underrating Marincin. He had a poor year last year, but the year before he was playing like a good top 4 dman at times.

Mari? Like a top 4? When? The guy is terrible, worse than Polak and Polak should do nothing but play a game here and there in the event of injury.

Reactions: ToMaLe

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marincin's problem, to my eyes, is his high rate of failure completing passes against average pressure. This tendency is a killer. Defending in the defensive zone, he isn't terrible at all. Although he looks a bit awkward, he's actually good at cutting off passing and shooting lanes and about average in the corners.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Babs value's Marincin's ability to kill penalties, I think he slots ahead of Carrick. He must realize that he needs to show something or his NHL days might be numbered. Here's hoping he takes advantage of this opportunity and plays with some vigor.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Mari? Like a top 4? When? The guy is terrible, worse than Polak and Polak should do nothing but play a game here and there in the event of injury.

Its funny how quick people are to forget season prior to a year ago.

In 2015/2016, Marincin was really good down the stretch... in the final 26 games of the season, he average 22:36 TOI/G, played 4:13 SHTOI/G... and was a steady presence for us on a team that was pretty bad.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

In 2015/2016, Marincin was really good down the stretch... in the final 26 games of the season, he average 22:36 TOI/G, played 4:13 SHTOI/G... and was a steady presence for us on a team that was pretty bad.

Well he may get yet another chance but all the recent info at the NHL level is he makes terrible choices often.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

And then he played 82 games of awful hockey.

What is more represenative of his career?

Komarov was an All Star that season too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->