Zadorov: Should he stay or should he go?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If he stays up he can still play in the World Jr Championship correct? By my count assuming he plays every game between now and then he will play around 30 games. 30 games means it burns a year of his contract but not a year of UFA correct? Let him stay up and if he plateaus he plays the worlds and he can go back to Jr. Not that I think that will happen but there are still options of what to do even if he goes past 9 games.

He can but it's not likely Buffalo would release him for the WJC when they didn't release Girgensons from Rochester last year

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Zadorov a healthy scratch, I wonder what is going through the coaches head??

He had a rough last game, he only gets 9 before his contract kicks in so this way he can practice up top more, and he's making kids earn ice time.

No problems with this scratch tonight.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Zadorov a healthy scratch, I wonder what is going through the coaches head??

Said this on the other thread......

Buffalo is planning ahead.

He has played 5 games.

After Anaheim on Saturday they have 3 in California.

They sat him today and likely do on saturday then dress him for all 3 west coast games.

they cant have him run out of his 9 games on this road trip and then have to call up another player.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I still think he should be sent back to London. I have no doubt he could probably play on our 2nd D-pair, but I'd like him to get a little more time under the Hunters and dominate the OHL, WJC, and Mem Cup. Plus, it gets him away from the atmosphere of this losing team for at least one more year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I still think he should be sent back to London. I have no doubt he could probably play on our 2nd D-pair, but I'd like him to get a little more time under the Hunters and dominate the OHL, WJC, and Mem Cup. Plus, it gets him away from the atmosphere of this losing team for at least one more year.

He wont exceed 40 games. Staying under 40 games will still delay UFA status.

Zad, Risto, and Armia will be allowed to go and play in the WJC

Zad plays through January then he is sent back to the OHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He wont exceed 40 games. Staying under 40 games will still delay UFA status.

Zad, Risto, and Armia will be allowed to go and play in the WJC

Zad plays through January then he is sent back to the OHL.

Armia can't he's too old. And even if he isn't, what makes you think the Sabres would let him and the other two go when they wouldn't let Girgs last year?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Are you people serious???? Nikita Zadorov is 18.... and a freaking Russian defensman to boot... he won't be ready for the NHL for at least four more years...Stop the kool aid...

Send him down.... now

Just trying to be honest here..

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Your comment above that Zadorov is 4 years away because he's Russian is absurd and intellectually insulting. Why not Ristolainen? He's Finnish and Finland maintained strong ties with the USSR, so he probably is at least 2 years away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Your comment above that Zadorov is 4 years away because he's Russian is absurd and intellectually insulting. Why not Ristolainen? He's Finnish and Finland maintained strong ties with the USSR, so he probably is at least 2 years away.

My apology... in general most would say any defenseman take more time to develop into a steady NHL player than a forward.... Taking that and knowing the Euro game is more open and offensive led me to my conclusion... but there are exceptions... and I did mention that too… My apology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
My apology... in general most would say any defenseman take more time to develop into a steady NHL player than a forward.... Taking that and knowing the Euro game is more open and offensive led me to my conclusion... but there are exceptions... and I did mention that too… My apology.

I guess I jumped down your throat a bit, I just don't see what him being Russian has to do with it. I think he should be sent back down but I also think he could be ready as early as next year, probably the year after at most.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Folks, stay on topic: Zadorov up or down?

I say down... this is the trap with a total rebuild... one cannot count on 18/19 year old super stars to carry a team... Perhaps one with six veterans but six rookies with one veteran??? Crazy.

We have some great (in time) players but not now... let the kids develop in the AHL... if not, one ends up with a bunch of screwed up short lived NHL players...

Trust me folks, I've seen it...

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Send him back to London
I think he has played well enough for the most part that if this were two or three years down the road he should stay on the roster to learn and hone his craft. However we're still at the very beginning of a team rebuild and he's better off playing the important minutes on a competitive team. It's not worth using up a year of his ELC for where the Sabres are at this point. I don't mind the team playing him a game or two then scratch for a game or two to get a taste of NHL life but don't keep him up here long past nine games.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Recently talked to a person familiar with the knights and he said that if Zadorov continues to struggle, turn over the puck and get caught off guard with the game speed then the send him back to London, Be The Big Leader on Defense, play 40 minutes a night, franchisee defense type player. I as a Knights follower believe its best to send Zadorov back and he could be arguably one of the best dman in the league and be a pivotal part to a team with an AUTOMATIC BUY INTO THE MEMORIAL CUP!! With Max Domi, Bo Horvat player IN COREY SCHNIDER TRADE , Michael Mccarron Canedians First Round Pick Etc. Play Under the Hunters, The London Knights.

I believe its best he goes back tears up junior and wins a memorial cup on Home Ice!!!

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Send him back. Save the ELC year, and stagger his and Risto's deals. Let him play huge minutes for a top team that will be playing deep into spring. I'd prefer the Sabres use those minutes to evaluate whether McNabb is in their long-term plans; with Ehrhoff and the other lefties, I'm not sure they'd realistically have room for both McNabb and Zads.

He will be on the team next year.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah, I'm changing my mind as well and it has nothing to do with Zad's talent. I do believe he is good enough to stay but I think it is best, long term for both the Sabres and his development to go back to juniors.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I had no qualms returning him to London when I voted to keep Zadorov earlier, but his play has dipped some, so I'd lean towards returning him after further evaluation. No rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad