Zadorov: Should he stay or should he go?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Right now, I don't think he's going anywhere....He's playing as well as anyone on D (better than some), And is getting TOI to learn his craft. It's early but he doesn't look out of place.

Rookie mistakes are expected and encouraged. Great proving ground situation for him.:handclap:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Right now, I don't think he's going anywhere....He's playing as well as anyone on D (better than some), And is getting TOI to learn his craft. It's early but he doesn't look out of place.

Rookie mistakes are expected and encouraged. Great proving ground situation for him.:handclap:

I wish Rolston agreed.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As much as it hurts aur WJC team in this particular case I say give him the full NHL experience and benefit from it in your team rebuild. The furure looks a little brighter for Buffalo after that trade too, I think. If you rebuild like that you have to rely on young guys to mature quickly. Not always the best thing for a 18 y.o., but Nikita is really, really special. I like his mindset. It's way beyond his age.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
In my opinion while he has looked very good he's still only 18 barely. Give him the proper course and send him back to London to play with Horvat and company. He'll be up for good soon enough. He's gotten a taste of what it's like. That should motivate him to work hard on his offensive game.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
My heart says yes, but my head says no.

Yep.

I want him here alongside Myers. He looks like he belongs right now. But my head says he would get 25 minutes a night in London, probably get massive playing time at the World's, and he would play for the Memorial Cup.

It may be the smarter move to send him back.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think they will keep him.

After years of taking their time with prospects, they have really changed 180.
They have shown this year that they want their young prospects developing in the NHL. Hope they are right.
Gigorenko last year
Girgensons past 9 games
Ristolainen past 9 games (had to look it up, thought tonight was his 10th)

It is interesting that it was huge news leading up to whether the Sabres were going to keep Myers past 9 games his rookie year. Kind of an afterthought with these kids this year.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
i think really there are 4 questions regarding prospects promotions
is he ready physically?
is he ready mentally?
is he ready emotionally?
is he better than the guys you already have?this one is more for a competitive team.
if you answer yes to all these questions keep them up

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Keep him. His physicality is refreshing. I don't think the Sabres ever have had a dman with his type of physical play in the 16 years Regier has been here. Rhett Warrener and McKee were somewhat close but Zadorov is a giant strongman on skates compared to those 2. With Vanek gone Zadorov is my new favorite Sabre.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Whats the deal with Zadorov

Knights fan coming in peace,

I have talked to alot of people in the media here in London and alot of people don't know what exactly Darcy Regier is doing and alot of people are questioning his tactics and how he is handling his prospects. Like looking at the situation right now it seems that he has burned a year on all of Grigensons, Griegorenko AGAIN, Ristolainen and Zadorov could be next and I WOULDNT Be happy about that nor would alot of the Knights fanbase.

The Knights have the Memorial Cup on home ice this year and I know Zadorov might be playing great right now but he is simply not ready for the NHL. Look at Alex Petriangelo for example he was cut not once but twice by the Blues and look at how much an extra few years of Junior Helped. He is one player I was scared to death to watch in Junior. Now he is a stud at the NHL Level.

Here Zadorov can play 40 mins a night, be a team leader and franchiese player and play in the Memorial Cup for a second straight year and will have a chance to win something. Not to be rude but the Sabres are playing for nothing this year but to try to acquire a top pick in the draft. So I hope Regier does the right thing and lets Zadorov go back to Junior and play for an OHL Championship and Memorial Cup title on home ice.

He is going to be A STAR AND GIVES YOU GUYS SO MUCH TO BE EXCITED ABOUT! But he is only 18. Let him come back Darcy

Last edited:

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I think he will be sent down, but he's looked fantastic. He looked outmatched having to play against the Stamkos line with Myers, but it's Stamkos and St. Louis...

In the end, I hope he is sent back.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I imagine this post will be merged with the poll on keeping Zadorov up: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1524519

You'll find most of your answers there. I still think they'll send him down before he plays 10 games, but there's no reason not to play him 9 before sending him down. He looks good out there and has provided a spark for the team. I think it'd be a mistake to keep him the full season, though it'd be fun to continue watching him with the big club.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

I haven't talked to alot of people in the media here in London and alot of people don't know what exactly Darcy Regier is doing and alot of people are questioning his tactics and how he is handling his prospects. Like looking at the situation right now it seems that he has burned a year on all of Grigensons, Griegorenko AGAIN, Ristolainen and Zadorov could be next and I WOULDNT Be happy about that nor would alot of the Knights fanbase.

The Knights have the Memorial Cup on homeice this year and I know Zadorov might be playing great right now but he is simply not ready for the NHL. Look at Alex Petriangelo for example he was cut not once but twice by the Blues and look at how much an extra few years of Junior Helped. He is one player I was scared to death to watch in Junior. Now he is a stud at the NHL Level.

Here Zadorov can play 40 mins a night, be a team leader and franchiese player and play in the Memorial Cup for a second straight year and will have a chance to win something. Not to be rude but the Sabres are playing for nothing this year but to try to acquire a top pick in the draft. So I hope Regier does the right thing and lets Zadorov go back to Junior and play for an OHL Championship and Memorial Cup title on home ice.

He is going to be A STAR AND GIVES YOU GUYS SO MUCH TO BE EXCITED ABOUT! But he is only 18. Let him come back Darcy

I'm guessing that he at least gets the full nine game trial before they determine whether he goes back to Hunter and the Knights.

Zads has looked very good thus far.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

I haven't talked to alot of people in the media here in London and alot of people don't know what exactly Darcy Regier is doing and alot of people are questioning his tactics and how he is handling his prospects. Like looking at the situation right now it seems that he has burned a year on all of Grigensons, Griegorenko AGAIN, Ristolainen and Zadorov could be next and I WOULDNT Be happy about that nor would alot of the Knights fanbase.

The Knights have the Memorial Cup on homeice this year and I know Zadorov might be playing great right now but he is simply not ready for the NHL. Look at Alex Petriangelo for example he was cut not once but twice by the Blues and look at how much an extra few years of Junior Helped. He is one player I was scared to death to watch in Junior. Now he is a stud at the NHL Level.

He is going to get his 9 games up here and we will see what happens after that. He has looked very good up here, can play at an NHL level, and very well could stay up the whole season depending on how things play out. I understand you have your reasons to want him back but it may be best for the Sabres to keep him up for the season or even let him play in the WJC and then bring him back to Buffalo. I would say that many up us are in love with big Z but are also waiting for a large sample size to see how things shake out.

BUFSABES1981

Apr 11, 2011

I have talked to alot of people in the media here in London and alot of people don't know what exactly Darcy Regier is doing and alot of people are questioning his tactics and how he is handling his prospects. Like looking at the situation right now it seems that he has burned a year on all of Grigensons, Griegorenko AGAIN, Ristolainen and Zadorov could be next and I WOULDNT Be happy about that nor would alot of the Knights fanbase.

The Knights have the Memorial Cup on home ice this year and I know Zadorov might be playing great right now but he is simply not ready for the NHL. Look at Alex Petriangelo for example he was cut not once but twice by the Blues and look at how much an extra few years of Junior Helped. He is one player I was scared to death to watch in Junior. Now he is a stud at the NHL Level.

The way Erie came into your house and kicked the crap outta your boys a couple nights ago it's gonna take more than a Zadorov to get back to the Memorial Cup.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
The way Erie came into your house and kicked the crap outta your boys a couple nights ago it's gonna take more than a Zadorov to get back to the Memorial Cup.

Um about that....... it's being held in London this year. The Knights have an automatic bid to the Memorial Cup as the hosts.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I voted to keep him, but I would be more than fine if he goes back. Keep him here and he grows into an early young leader/motivator for the rest of the kids (his spirit seems infectious). Send him back and he develops in a winning climate. From what I've seen thusfar, I have a hard time seeing how even Regier/Rolston could screw this kid up. It's like he's said, he just loves to play hockey.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Send him back.

I'll say though, he looks really good and I think that he could definitely play out the year and succeed.

On the other hand, why burn a year of the contract #1?

Secondly, as good as he has looked, he hasn't been perfect and there are things he could improve on. Send him back to London to let him work on those things and grow his offensive game.

We have enough able bodies between here and Rochester anyways to play out the year.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
(WGR Audio 10/29) RR has all but said the Baby Z is here to stay: http://t.co/zYpnc7k04o

Howard Simon: You guys have a few more games with Zadorov before you have to make the decision on him. Do you feel like you've got a solid evaluation on him, whether he can stay here, is good enough to stay here or needs to go back to juniors?
Ron Rolston: Yes, yeah I think so. He's played well for us so far. I do think the young players do kind of, always make those games, then hit a little bit of a plateau. You have to be ready for that. But I think he's done a good job early on. Initially with the hand injury it's been a slow process getting him on the game. Once we did, I think he's done a good job taking advantage of the opportunity.

Jeremy White: Same situation as last year, you have to ask yourself, can he benefit from playing in London? Penguins kept his defense partner, Olli Maatta, was playing with him in London. So does he have anything to gain in London?
RR: Well I think right now he's been able to play at this level, so I don't know.. especially physically you can see how big and strong he is. It's not like he needs more time to mature physically. He's able to go out there, we've been impressed just how strong he is on his skates against some of the better players in the league. Right now, if he can continue to play the way he's playing, he's in a situation here where (???) impressed by the speed and size of these players in this league is only gonna accelerate his development.

JW: When you look around the league, is there anything different about the game today than 10 - 15 years ago, because this year you've a lot of kids staying up. A lot of teams kept their guys. Whether it's Monahan staying up and of course Seth Jones, the guys at the top, but it seems like the numbers each year are climbing for the number of guys that are staying up.
RR: Well I think the biggest thing with the youth movement is the speed. You see the speed of the game out there and the best teams in the league got real good team speed and the young guys provide that team speed. Then the older guys if they're not working at it, can lose a step and that's where you see a little bit of a change in the game too. A little bit more of a youth movement by a lot of these teams.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Howard Simon: You guys have a few more games with Zadorov before you have to make the decision on him. Do you feel like you've got a solid evaluation on him, whether he can stay here, is good enough to stay here or needs to go back to juniors?
Ron Rolston: Yes, yeah I think so. He's played well for us so far. I do think the young players do kind of, always make those games, then hit a little bit of a plateau. You have to be ready for that. But I think he's done a good job early on. Initially with the hand injury it's been a slow process getting him on the game. Once we did, I think he's done a good job taking advantage of the opportunity.

Jeremy White: Same situation as last year, you have to ask yourself, can he benefit from playing in London? Penguins kept his defense partner, Olli Maatta, was playing with him in London. So does he have anything to gain in London?
RR: Well I think right now he's been able to play at this level, so I don't know.. especially physically you can see how big and strong he is. It's not like he needs more time to mature physically. He's able to go out there, we've been impressed just how strong he is on his skates against some of the better players in the league. Right now, if he can continue to play the way he's playing, he's in a situation here where (???) impressed by the speed and size of these players in this league is only gonna accelerate his development.

JW: When you look around the league, is there anything different about the game today than 10 - 15 years ago, because this year you've a lot of kids staying up. A lot of teams kept their guys. Whether it's Monahan staying up and of course Seth Jones, the guys at the top, but it seems like the numbers each year are climbing for the number of guys that are staying up.
RR: Well I think the biggest thing with the youth movement is the speed. You see the speed of the game out there and the best teams in the league got real good team speed and the young guys provide that team speed. Then the older guys if they're not working at it, can lose a step and that's where you see a little bit of a change in the game too. A little bit more of a youth movement by a lot of these teams.

Thanks for expanding the dialogue.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
If he stays up he can still play in the World Jr Championship correct? By my count assuming he plays every game between now and then he will play around 30 games. 30 games means it burns a year of his contract but not a year of UFA correct? Let him stay up and if he plateaus he plays the worlds and he can go back to Jr. Not that I think that will happen but there are still options of what to do even if he goes past 9 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad