Zadorov: Should he stay or should he go?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Zadorov has looked very good in a small sample size of games, as well as the preseason. So do you keep him in Buffalo for the rest of the season and start his ELC, or do you send him back to London?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Give him more games and then decide. Right now I am leaning towards him staying up because I am really impressed but lets make a decision when we have to and now prematurely.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I still think it's better to send him back but I can't deny what I "want" is to watch him for the rest of the season, because he's arguably the most entertaining player on the team right now. I voted send him back to reflect what I'd do in Darcy's shoes.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
still 6 games left until we need a decision, I say send him back and let him play in the world juniors along with the memorial cup. you could make a strong case for him to stay as well, he obviously has the size and strength to play in the NHL along with the confidence.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
still 6 games left until we need a decision, I say send him back and let him play in the world juniors along with the memorial cup.

Agreed and I selected send him back too, but if they want to give him the full 9, I have no problems with that.

I thought it was absurd that they were even giving him a game but he looks a lot better than I expected.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If he is playing 16+ in the NHL its better than anything else. If he starts falling lower than that then send him back.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Weber's out long-term, so that gives Zadorov an opportunity to seize. Three games is still a small sample size, but if he keeps playing like last night, he's not giving me much of a reason to send him back to London, especially when he sees 20+ TOI here.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
If he goes there will be trouble, but if he stays it will be double.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Weber's out long-term, so that gives Zadorov an opportunity to seize. Three games is still a small sample size, but if he keeps playing like last night, he's not giving me much of a reason to send him back to London, especially when he sees 20+ TOI here.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing alka-Sulzer and McPain bring the high end draft pick home.

I'm terrified Z goes all rookie Myers and lifts us into the dreaded 5-10 draft slot.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
It's a shame that this draft isn't for the McDavid sweepstakes, because then, the answer would be pretty clear - send him back to the incubator that is the London Knights so that the Sabres can bottom feed with the best of them.

On the other hand, the kid can play. He's a great combination of sandpaper and skill, something this team desperately needs. I don't think playing for a team that struggles on offence will hurt his development - playing for a terrible Whalers team didn't hinder Chris Pronger - and I think he enjoys the game enough and has confidence in his own abilities that the regularity of losing won't diminish his motivation in any way.

Still, I think it's best to send him down, but if he stays, I won't be against it either.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing alka-Sulzer and McPain bring the high end draft pick home.

I'm terrified Z goes all rookie Myers and lifts us into the dreaded 5-10 draft slot.

Ya it would be so terrible if an 18 year old D emerged into a big time player...geez that's terrifying

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not worried too much about Zadorov staying and starting his pro contract. There's four RFA contracts expiring each of the next three summers, with Girgs, maybe Armia, Risto and Zads all scheduled to be due in 2016. If he can step in now and be competent and add some much needed swagger then fine. Trade Tallinder sooner than at the trade deadline when he was going to be dealt anyway.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Ya it would be so terrible if an 18 year old D emerged into a big time player...geez that's terrifying

Gasp!

I say send him down after 9 games. He's looked great so far, but if he plays for Russia at the WJHC's and London in the Memorial Cup it could really help him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
As of right now, keep him.

I reserve the right to change my opinion over the next 6 games.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Keep him with Myers.
Zadorov appeared to stabilize Myers game. They fed off of one another last night. I'd like to see more of that, much more.

FanboySlayer*

Oh jeeze, he played 20 freakin' minutes in an NHL game last night and those hits and his enthusiasm are contagious. If he can maintain that level of play over the next 7 games sending him back is ridiculous.

20 minutes a night against NHL competition > OHL/WJC/Mem Cup against 17 and 18 year olds

IF he turns into a turnstile in 2 or 3 of the next 7 then send him back.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Oh jeeze, he played 20 freakin' minutes in an NHL game last night and those hits and his enthusiasm are contagious. If he can maintain that level of play over the next 7 games sending him back is ridiculous.

20 minutes a night against NHL competition > OHL/WJC/Mem Cup against 17 and 18 year olds

What if he dominates the next 7 and then turns into a turn stile the next 60 games??

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Sending him back wouldn't be ridiculous and saying it would be is ridiculous. You think he's going to continue playing 20 minutes a night? Does he make a difference in whether this team is successful or not? No.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sending him back wouldn't be ridiculous and saying it would be is ridiculous. You think he's going to continue playing 20 minutes a night? Does he make a difference in whether this team is successful or not? No.

Actually, in the long run, yes he does make a difference in the teams success. Keeping him up is baptism by fire, on the job training, chemistry building.
It also seriously helps foster a competitive environment on the blue line. I see no reason to send the kid down, let him earn his stripes while at the same time building that much needed core D man chemistry needed to get this team progression in the rebuild IMHO.

FanboySlayer*

If he plays with Myers he sure will play 20 minutes a night, no different than Seth Jones playing 25 minutes on Nashville's top pair.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Actually, in the long run, yes he does make a difference in the teams success. Keeping him up is baptism by fire, on the job training, chemistry building.
It also seriously helps foster a competitive environment on the blue line. I see no reason to send the kid down, let him earn his stripes while at the same time building that much needed core D man chemistry needed to get this team progression in the rebuild IMHO.

Some people don't think the on-the-job, trial-by-fire method is best for one's development. See Grigorenko, Mikhail.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If he plays with Myers he sure will play 20 minutes a night, no different than Seth Jones playing 25 minutes on Nashville's top pair.

So Zadorov is now comparable to the guy who was #1 or #2 in every prospect list for most of last season? Oye.

He's played some nice games so far. But it's far from the end of the world if he gets sent back to London. I do wonder how much of wanting him in Buffalo is people who want a reason to tune in on a nightly basis and see something resembling entertainment.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It's tough to say. He doesn't look at all uncomfortable or lost out there, so him staying might not be the worst thing. On the other hand, he's still very young and could gain some valuable experience with London if they were to go on a run. Overall if he looks as confident and comfortable in the next 5 games or so as he has so far, I think they almost have to keep him.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Completely unsubstantiated, but I worry he might pout his way through London's season if returned.

I was adamant about sending him back and keeping him away from the toxicity of Rolston and staff. But he so badly wants to be here that I question whether the time in London would be half assed.

Ill vote after two or three more games.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I admit I'm a guy that wants to see the shiny new toy and always leans toward the young guy staying up, but he just hasn't looked out of place at all. I was able to see his first game against Colorado, and he's been awesome in the other games. I'd give him a 9 game tryout, but it's hard not to send him back to such a good situation in the OHL - a very good Knights team that is guaranteed a Mem Cup spot, he'll play for Russia in the WJC's, and he'll play a ton for both teams. Keeping him in the NHL could halter his development, whereas in junior he has nowhere to go but up.

It certainly helps his case that Weber is out long-term with an injury. Easier for Rolston to replace Weber's physical style of play with Zadorov (14 hits in 3 games) than it is Tallinder or McBain (12 hits... combined in 14 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad