Zadorov: Should he stay or should he go?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Let's see how he does for the next 6 games. If he can really keep up last night's level of play consistently, then I think he will develop at least as well here. I'm hoping his attitude it contagious. I'm very pleasantly surprised by his play so far. I thought he was much more of a project. And his Rob Blake hip-checks are ridiculous for an 18 year old.

On the other hand, his opportunities at the WJC and London are unusually good, so that option is fine, as well.

Either way, our future D is looking potentially outstanding. Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadarov, Pysyk, Risto and hopefully McCabe. Hopefully either McBain or JGL can develop into a good PPQB. Depending on how players develope, I could see us trading Ehrhoff in a couple of years.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The most pleasantly surprising aspect of him thus far is his offensive ability.

People said he never learned how to play the offensive side of it because they didn't teach him how in Russia. He seems like he's well versed on when to rush, when to head man, when to pinch, and when to join the rush as a trailer, amongst other things. Pleasantly pleased by his offensive knack so far.

It's so tempting to keep him. Through his first few games he looks very ready.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Actually, in the long run, yes he does make a difference in the teams success. Keeping him up is baptism by fire, on the job training, chemistry building.
It also seriously helps foster a competitive environment on the blue line. I see no reason to send the kid down, let him earn his stripes while at the same time building that much needed core D man chemistry needed to get this team progression in the rebuild IMHO.

There's absolutely no way of knowing that playing him the rest of the season will lead to him being a better player down the road, and it's obviously not so certain that you can say it's ridiculous to think that it won't. If you can really see no reason not to send him down then you just don't want to see any reason not to send him down. Nevermind that you know full well that the sentence you're rebutting was about this season.

If he plays with Myers he sure will play 20 minutes a night, no different than Seth Jones playing 25 minutes on Nashville's top pair.

And you think he'll play with Myers the rest of the season? He might only because Myers hasn't locked on to a great partner, but I wouldn't put money on it.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Let's see how he does for the next 6 games. If he can really keep up last night's level of play consistently, then I think he will develop at least as well here. I'm hoping his attitude it contagious. I'm very pleasantly surprised by his play so far. I thought he was much more of a project.

Same here. He's looked more NHL-ready than Risto, which is saying something because Risto has looked pretty good. He (Zadorov) exudes such confidence it's incredible - he's not timid or hesitant at all. It reminds me a lot of Myers his rookie year, just more physical.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think that's the determinant. Zadorov is confident and has a way different mentality than the others it seems. He wants to compete hard and we saw yesterday that he isn't going to back down a whole lot.

heartsabres*

Gasp!

I say send him down after 9 games. He's looked great so far, but if he plays for Russia at the WJHC's and London in the Memorial Cup it could really help him.

AS apposed to 70+ games in the NHL? :sarcasm:

He can play in the NHL and WJC...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Interesting decision.

What are. The WJC rules if a player is playing in the NHL?

They could send him down to the OHL to play in the WJC. He wouldn't have played enough games to accrue a full season for UFA status.

Buffalo could opt to send him back down to juniors at the Olympic break to get the playoff/memorial cup experience.

He is a lock to be on the team next year.

Having the kids on the teaM will help to attract fans. Sending them down to AHL/JRS/Europe will keep fans away.

heartsabres*

Interesting decision.

What are. The WJC rules if a player is playing in the NHL?

They could send him down to the OHL to play in the WJC. He wouldn't have played enough games to accrue a full season for UFA status.

Buffalo could opt to send him back down to juniors at the Olympic break to get the playoff/memorial cup experience.

He is a lock to be on the team next year.

Having the kids on the teaM will help to attract fans. Sending them down to AHL/JRS/Europe will keep fans away.
Teams can lend players to the countries WJ teams if they wish.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
It depends on how he plays the next 6 games. I really do think he's strong enough mentally to be able to handle the inevitable ups and downs of a full NHL season at 18 years old, so I don't think it would ruin him to keep him up. I can really see this going either way, though. Keeping guys like Zadorov on this team should at least keep more fans interested. People are way more likely to pay money to watch Zadorov, Ristolainen, Girgensons, and Grigorenko rather than Porter, Luke Adam, Matt Ellis, Sulzer, and guys of that ilk.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If he continues to play the way he has, keep him up. Experience in the top league in the world will always trump junior hockey by leaps and bounds.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
He's been strong, but I don't see them keeping him past 9 games for one simple reason: I can't imagine the Sabres will want Risto, Zads, and Girgs to all be RFAs the same year. Darcy needs to spread out these first rounders in terms of where they are on their contracts to help with budgeting down the line. (Also, bridge contracts for them, please.)

koarl

Mar 19, 2011
Graz / Austria
Keep if he plays enough minutes and games.
If it's necessary to bench him one game for "learning purposes", do it. If he should sit out more games - send him down.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
He's been strong, but I don't see them keeping him past 9 games for one simple reason: I can't imagine the Sabres will want Risto, Zads, and Girgs to all be RFAs the same year. Darcy needs to spread out these first rounders in terms of where they are on their contracts to help with budgeting down the line. (Also, bridge contracts for them, please.)

You can deal with that by spreading out bridge contract length. Or do you mean the initial RFA after the ELC?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
What I think is interesting is how people view Rasmus Ristolainen vs Zadorov. It seems before the start of the year, more people wanted to keep Rasmus on the team than Zadorov. I'm guessing that was just because of where they were drafted?

Would this view have changed if the Sabres took Zadorov first over Rasmus?

The Flyer ranked Zadorov over Rasmus pre-draft:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/8/6/4595920/flyers-flight-plan-episode-1-review

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
So Zadorov is now comparable to the guy who was #1 or #2 in every prospect list for most of last season? Oye.

He's played some nice games so far. But it's far from the end of the world if he gets sent back to London. I do wonder how much of wanting him in Buffalo is people who want a reason to tune in on a nightly basis and see something resembling entertainment.

Almost completely. Management needs to do what's best for the player and not what the fans want if this rebuild is going to work correctly. Regier and Pegula will stay the course, and uneducated fans will continue to call for their heads asking for some bandaid FA vet signings that will result in more wins, and no stanley cups.

Edit:

With that said, if he earns it after 9 games, keep him up.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What I think is interesting is how people view Rasmus Ristolainen vs Zadorov. It seems before the start of the year, more people wanted to keep Rasmus on the team than Zadorov. I'm guessing that was just because of where they were drafted?

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/8/6/4595920/flyers-flight-plan-episode-1-review

I almost want to believe that their board was tailored to what they thought would happen.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008

It wasn't because of where they were drafted, it was because Zadarov was seen as more of a project than Ristolainen and because Risto had experience playing in a professional league. Zadarov has looked better than I thought he would. At this point, I'd still lean towards sending him back to London but that can change depending on the next 5 games.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
You can deal with that by spreading out bridge contract length. Or do you mean the initial RFA after the ELC?

I mean their initial RFA status following their ELCs. I can't imagine Darcy (or GM of the future) would want to negotiate contracts with three stud, No. 1 pick RFAs in one summer. Plus, I think he'd rather have have at least one still on a cheap ELC for an extra year for cap purposes.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I mean their initial RFA status following their ELCs. I can't imagine Darcy (or GM of the future) would want to negotiate contracts with three stud, No. 1 pick RFAs in one summer. Plus, I think he'd rather have have at least one still on a cheap ELC for an extra year for cap purposes.

He will. His name is Sam Reinhart. :sarcasm:

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD

I don't know. Why not have them all at once. Lock them in long term instead of short term (similar to Hodgson) and then have confidence in what your available budget is for UFA's, trades, etc.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad