Zadina probably starting out in GR

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah I think Cholowski has clearly outperformed the rest.

Blashill said that Hicketts separated himself from the rest. I think that Sulak and Cholowski have been pretty good, too. Hronek, just like Zadina, definitely in need of another AHL season.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Blashill said that Hicketts separated himself from the rest. I think that Sulak and Cholowski have been pretty good, too. Hronek, just like Zadina, definitely in need of another AHL season.

I don’t think Hronek has been bad, I think he’s been better than Hicketts who I think has been the worst. He has been quiet which is not bad for defensemen, I think his offense isn’t where people expected it to be, but I think he could go ejther way

Reactions: mantha39

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t think Hronek has been bad, I think he’s been better than Hicketts who I think has been the worst. He has been quiet which is not bad for defensemen, I think his offense isn’t where people expected it to be, but I think he could go ejther way

You can like Blashill or not but if he says that Hicketts was the best then it's kinda stupid to say that he's been the worst. No offence but I'm on Blashill's side on that one. Hicketts is great. Looks to be in fantastix shape and made some great offensive plays. He's always gonna take too much risk in certain situations because that's just who he is....but I don't mind. He just has to be aware of who he's on the ice against. Hronek, just like Zadina, looks physically overmatched, is often out of position and therefore a step behind. He also doesn't have the confidence with the puck that his fellow defense prospects have. While the other three tend to calmly hold on to the puck before making the right play, Hronek is producing giveaways by trying to lose the puck asap.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You can like Blashill or not but if he says that Hicketts was the best then it's kinda stupid to say that he's been the worst. No offence but I'm on Blashill's side on that one. Hicketts is great. Looks to be in fantastix shape and made some great offensive plays. He's always gonna take too much risk in certain situations because that's just who he is....but I don't mind. He just has to be aware of who he's on the ice against. Hronek, just like Zadina, looks physically overmatched, is often out of position and therefore a step behind. He also doesn't have the confidence with the puck that his fellow defense prospects have. While the other three tend to calmly hold on to the puck before making the right play, Hronek is producing giveaways by trying to lose the puck asap.

No offense but I think you're way off.

The way you described Hronek is exactly how Hicketts has performed. Very little poise with the puck, constantly rushing outlets, no confidence with the puck and just way too jittery all around. He's iced the puck like ten times in the past two games. He was on the worst pairing the last two nights, first with Sulak and then with Jensen.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No offense but I think you're way off.

The way you described Hronek is exactly how Hicketts has performed. Very little poise with the puck, constantly rushing outlets, no confidence with the puck and just way too jittery all around. He's iced the puck like ten times in the past two games. He was on the worst pairing the last two nights, first with Sulak and then with Jensen.

Hicketts had one shaky game and that was when he had to play with Chelios who was beyond bad. Jensen is terrible, too...playing with him isn't easy either. But overall I'm with Blashill here. Hicketts with another outstanding camp. Like I said I also liked Sulak and Cholowski.
Hicketts made several good offensive plays...both shots and stretch passes and he held on to the puck for much longer than Hronek. I don't think Hronek had too many good offensive situations.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
After watching Zadina in all the games so far in preseason, hes going to need the year in GRG I think. Hes not quite physically ready to handle the pace and size.

It wont hurt him.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He’ll be back, soon. He’s just got to work on a few things. The talent is there and the high end goal-scoring ability is evident. Just needs more minutes then what he would get in Detroit.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What would be so wrong with sending Zadina back to junior instead of GR? He would completely dominate?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What would be so wrong with sending Zadina back to junior instead of GR? He would completely dominate?

He gains nothing going back to juniors... he’s too good for it, yes. He will not further develop because he’s basically playing a stagnant set of players. The AHL is slightly different. Bigger, more mature league - means he’ll have to adjust and improve sequentially.

But this is coming from someone who thinks he should be borderline ready to play in the NHL.

But there’s nothing wrong with him going to the AHL and hoping he dominates it.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
One of the main things is that he can’t be called up from junior. If he’s sent to GR, they can call him up and send him back down any time. So if he’s too good for the AHL they can react to that.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Nice appeal to authority there. Because if there's one thing Blashill has proved, it's that his assessment of talent is one to be trusted and validated. :sarcasm:

I think it's asinine that he has been so high on Hicketts this preseason, because he's clearly behind Cholowski and Sulak at a minimum.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I hope he doesn’t end up as Yakupov 2.0!

Funny you say that. I've thought before they look a lot alike physically- height, stature, skating, etc. Other than that no way to know if Zadina will be unable to get his game together like Yakupov.

My theory when evaluating FZ is he and the team already knew he was going to the Griffins. His (many) turnovers and lack of intensity made it seem apparent his heart wasn't fully committed to these exhibition games. I guess I hope I'm right because at times he was downright disengaged mentally.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nice appeal to authority there. Because if there's one thing Blashill has proved, it's that his assessment of talent is one to be trusted and validated. :sarcasm:

I think it's asinine that he has been so high on Hicketts this preseason, because he's clearly behind Cholowski and Sulak at a minimum.

So in other words...it should be you coaching the Redwings over Blashill because you're that much smarter than him?:sarcasm:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So in other words...it should be you coaching the Redwings over Blashill because you're that much smarter than him?:sarcasm:

When someone has multiple posts in multiple threads demeaning a prospect you almost wonder if there is an agenda. Did Hronek drive his truck through your lawn and destroy your gnome collection or something? :laugh: We get it, you don't like the guy and will reach for any shred of evidence to prove your point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad