Zadina probably starting out in GR

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Has anyone heard of how Zadina took it not making the team? Was he upset/angry or understandable of the situation? Expect to make it?

"I've been very impressed with his maturity," Blashill said. "I think he understands we're doing everything we can to put him in the best position to ultimately become a great player here.

"He didn't play so well that he was better than other guys by any stretch, but he showed signs of becoming a really good player."

Red Wings to Filip Zadina: Build confidence in Grand Rapids

No quotes directly from Zadina. Take that for what you will.

Reactions: Oddbob

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
For someone in Zadina's position, once he understands the NHL game better, he will be back, never look back, and be thankful for the time allowed to develop. It won't take long, IMO, for him to make all the adjustments and physical gains needed. Probably see him up, permanently, after the trade deadline when we've traded Nyquist.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
The only thing I worry about is his coming off the half wall into the slot with his head down. He got rocked hard 3 or 4 times in the Q doing it and a few times in the prospect game and a few times in preseason.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Doesn't seem very happy lol

Could be worse. He could have ended up back in juniors like most other 18 yr olds and play there all season long with no chance of getting into the NHL into training camp next season. At least with him, he can work on what he needs to do in the AHL, master it as great and as fast as he can, and he has a much better chance to make it back to Detroit going this route.

He is disappointed to be in GR, but if he is as good as most people say he is, he will not be here for very long. They take off for Texas I believe tomorrow to get ready for the "Texas 2-Step" road trip this weekend.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What are the AHL scoring records for 18-year-olds or something that young ?

That's what I'm interested now. Need a measuring point.

Dylan Strome was one of the youngest to score over a point per game last season (50 games, 22+31=53 points), but he was already 20 years old.

Mikko Rantanen scored 60 points in 52 games (24+36) at 2015-16 season. He was same aged on that season as Zadina is at becoming season. Turned 19 in october of that season, when Zadina turns 19 in november.

Tomas Tatar's rookie season (as same aged, turned 19 in december of his rookie season) was 16+16=32 points in 58 games. If Zadina doesn't beat that, then it's a disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk and Oddbob

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What are the AHL scoring records for 18-year-olds or something that young ?

That's what I'm interested now. Need a measuring point.

Dylan Strome was one of the youngest to score over a point per game last season (50 games, 22+31=53 points), but he was already 20 years old.

Mikko Rantanen scored 60 points in 52 games (24+36) at 2015-16 season. He was same aged on that season as Zadina is at becoming season. Turned 19 in october of that season, when Zadina turns 19 in november.

Tomas Tatar's rookie season (as same aged, turned 19 in december of his rookie season) was 16+16=32 points in 58 games. If Zadina doesn't beat that, then it's a disappointment.

Elite Prospects - AHL Stats All-time season

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ Agree, that would be dominating.

Looking at the list, |

0.75 PPG would be great production.
0.5 PPG would be good production I think for Zadina.
0.25 PPG would be disappointing

Considering his expectations and age.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Patience will probably be key and it might be better to look at Zadina's season as a progression of stages. I can see him having a slow first couple of months, his production then picking up in the middle third, and then having a really good last third. The hard numbers might not look jaw dropping at the end, but his actual play and production rate could tell a much different story.

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Patience will probably be key and it might be better to look at Zadina's season as a progression of stages. I can see him having a slow first couple of months, his production then picking up in the middle third, and then having a really good last third. The hard numbers might not look jaw dropping at the end, but his actual play and production rate could tell a much different story.

Yeah, erring on the side of patience isn't a bad thing here. It may take him half a season to get used to the speed and strength of the AHL, and that's not an indictment of an 18 year old with high end skill. If he could produce like Tatar, that would be nice. If he could produce like Hudler, that would be outstanding.

Either way, I wouldn't write him off of he doesn't make either of those goals -- as long as his attitude is right and he keeps working.

Reactions: jkutswings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He honestly looks disappointed of course, but you get the feeling he is more angry or quite upset about it, judging by the way he looked and was answering the questions. Hopefully it is a case of it lit a fuse, and he is going to go to GR, with a prove em wrong attitude. If he plays 50-70 games in the AHL, I would be disappointed with less than 50-65 PTS. Maybe that is a reach, but he was a high pick, so would be nice to have someone go well beyond what we hope or expect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
PPG as an 18 year old is really, really good. Not sure if we should expect that.

Zadina is supposed to be an elite prospect, much like Pasta those guys don't get long runs in the AHL traditionally. I will tell you I want him above .75 or I will be a little disappointed. Zadina is a scorer, he needs to score that is his value and I don't think it is a ton to ask out of a #6 overall that is about to turn 19 around US Thanksgiving. Zadina is older which is a part of how I evaluate this as well. He is only going to spend two months as an 18 year old. For instance Larkin broke into the NHL at 6 months older.

High octane offensive players like William Nylander and Pastrnak have shown this is doable. I get it is dangerous to have high expectations, but Zadina has them, no shame in starting in the AHL but he needs to be an impact guy down there or yes even with as young as he is I am going to get a little worried.

Reactions: mantha39

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zadina is supposed to be an elite prospect, much like Pasta those guys don't get long runs in the AHL traditionally. I will tell you I want him above .75 or I will be a little disappointed. Zadina is a scorer, he needs to score that is his value and I don't think it is a ton to ask out of a #6 overall that is about to turn 19 around US Thanksgiving. Zadina is older which is a part of how I evaluate this as well. He is only going to spend two months as an 18 year old. For instance Larkin broke into the NHL at 6 months older.

High octane offensive players like William Nylander and Pastrnak have shown this is doable. I get it is dangerous to have high expectations, but Zadina has them, no shame in starting in the AHL but he needs to be an impact guy down there or yes even with as young as he is I am going to get a little worried.

That’s how I look at it, pretty much have the same expectations.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
^^ Agree, that would be dominating.

Looking at the list, |

0.75 PPG would be great production.
0.5 PPG would be good production I think for Zadina.
0.25 PPG would be disappointing

Considering his expectations and age.

based on production of fiala (0.61), puljujärvi(0.72), chytil(0.67) and will nylander(0.86), anything under 0.75 would be disappointing for me.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Good point. I agree with you and others, under .75ppg would be a bit disappointing. Just don't think anyone should be expecting 1+ppg... that would be great tho.

Did not realize that about his age either, that's good to know.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Can somebody explain me what is the rule which lets Zadina play in the AHL while the other CHL guys can't?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Doesn't seem very happy lol

I mean, I don't want him to be happy. I want him thinking that he should have made it and that he'll go down and bust his ass to make absolutely sure he gets up in short order and never looks back.
Frankly, I think every new draftee (unless they are an uber talent like McDavid, Matthews, etc.) should spend some time in the AHL. I feel like getting young kids like Zadina in games as top line guys against AHL talent is better than tossing them in and hoping they stick on a third or fourth line in the NHL.

If for nothing else than getting them used to the professional schedule and ramping up to the speed of the professional game.

And hell, you are going for essentially a promotion and don't get it? Of course you'll be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->