GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t like this matchup at all. I think we can handle Dallas.
It’s…. Going to be challenging. 2 years ago I wondered how you could stop Makar, I still haven’t seen any team do it.

It’s up to McDrai to fight fire with fire. That’ll be how we win. But yeh I don’t want to get ahead of myself, so better focus on the Nucks first. .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Georgiev massive cross crease OT save on Saguin when Stars were dominating. Keeps his rope-a-dope team in it and Colorado with a massive comeback. Telecast showed stat that opening series winners go on to series success 68% of time. Vegas cheaters done and now hope to see Dallas follow.

Ridiculous league schedule to have the Oilers Canucks series start last in the cue. Hope there's no ring rust for the Oil to start.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Georgiev massive cross crease OT save on Saguin when Stars were dominating. Keeps his rope-a-dope team in it and Colorado with a massive comeback. Telecast showed stat that opening series winners go on to series success 68% of time. Vegas cheaters done and now hope to see Dallas follow.

Ridiculous league schedule to have the Oilers Canucks series start last in the cue. Hope there's no ring rust for the Oil to start.

Not a big fan of either of these teams, so hoping it goes to 7. Also, I think people put too much stock in the bolded. Lots of context that has to come into play. Weird that they showed it for that game

Reactions: TB12 and Satire

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not a big fan of either of these teams, so hoping it goes to 7. Also, I think people put too much stock in the bolded. Lots of context that has to come into play. Weird that they showed it for that game
Hope it goes 7 too. I don't have the issue that you and many do about the Avalanche. Love watching Makar and Mackinnon and the high speed skill game that team plays. An Oilers v Avalanche conference final would be very entertaining.

The stat is what it is - a point of interest with some historic perspective irrelevant of context within all the series that have played out.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
funniest thing was the fact Paul Coffey coached him and endorsed the pick. Him being Wyatt Johnston.

It's remarkable how we turned a terrible Oilers draft pick into a terrible Oilers draft picker.

Is Jason Bonsignore out there somewhere looking for a critical role in hockey ops? Steve Kelly maybe? Love the cyclical nature of the game GM MacT used to talk about.

• Haha
Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's remarkable how we turned a terrible Oilers draft pick into a terrible Oilers draft picker.

Is Jason Bonsignore out there somewhere looking for a critical role in hockey ops? Steve Kelly maybe? Love the cyclical nature of the game GM MacT used to talk about.
No single individual has wasted our first round picks more than Tyler Wright. Including the pick we used to draft him as a player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not sure why Carolina doesn't get more criticism than they do. They've been a "contender" for at least 5 years now and only have 2 ECF sweeps to show for it.
They seem to get by as a lot of people keep saying they need a game changer to take them to the next step.

They more or less get credit for just being a contender given their lack of true superstar talent and get by on a structured system

Reactions: Satire and Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No one scores for the Avs but the stars. At some point that will catch up with them.
I disagree. Lehkonen, Mittlesadt are legit scorers, Colton, Trenin and Wood are quality depth, Parise has potted a few. They have plenty of guys that can fill the net. If they get any semblance of goaltending, I think they're the Cup favorite.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I hope I’m wrong but although I think the Oilers beat Vancouver, that’s as far as they go. I don’t think they can match either of Dallas or Colorado. We’re better and deeper than in previous years, but those teams are better, in my opinion. I believe the eventual cup champion will be one of those two. Please prove me wrong.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope I’m wrong but although I think the Oilers beat Vancouver, that’s as far as they go. I don’t think they can match either of Dallas or Colorado. We’re better and deeper than in previous years, but those teams are better, in my opinion. I believe the eventual cup champion will be one of those two. Please prove me wrong.
I think we can take Colorado in a 7 game series if Skinner plays at a .910+ SP. They made some good deadline pickups but aren't as deep as the year they won and Georgiev isn't consistent.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Miro Heiskanen gets taken to the "Wood" shed for the OT winner - Gene Principe probably.
The guy played 30mins. Didn't have anything left in the legs. An opponent that plays half the minutes beat him on a foot race.

As far as Dallas they had 3 periods to get one more goal that would have provided them the win. But this is Dallas, they go hot and cold just like that and lost despite good goaltending. Stars are tired but that was a pretty soggy performance periods 2 and 3.

The Avs dismantling the Jets was far more impressive than what the Stars did to the Knights. If they win this series they’re going to the Finals for sure.
Because beating the defending SC champs is nothing at all hey Keith? The jets were horrible. AV's had an easy time of it scoring 5.5goals/game despite Hellebuck. Only you could string it this way.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Why do you or anybody want Colorado to win? That would be the worse matchup for the oIlers.

Colorado had a week off and Dallas was made to start a new series with one day off. This was an NHL scheduling defeat. Of course the Oilers don't get that benefit, Nucks had plenty of time off.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think we can take Colorado in a 7 game series if Skinner plays at a .910+ SP. They made some good deadline pickups but aren't as deep as the year they won and Georgiev isn't consistent.
Gerorgiev though makes saves Skinner can only dream of. The one sobering prospect seeing all the other contenders is we have the most inconsistent and average goaltending. I'm seeing gamebreakers for Rangers, for AV's Dallas, Boston. Basically everyteam left has better roster goaltending.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Gerorgiev though makes saves Skinner can only dream of. The one sobering prospect seeing all the other contenders is we have the most inconsistent and average goaltending. I'm seeing gamebreakers for Rangers, for AV's Dallas, Boston. Basically everyteam left has better roster goaltending.

Eh, Georgiev is the worst goalie left in the playoffs IMO, and it's not even close. He's the definition of inconsistent, which is why the Rangers were all too happy to let him go after he made demands of being their starter. Avs success would be in spite of his play, just like Kuemper before him. I'm not a huge Skinner fan but he's young and has shown he can be a great starter. Lateral movement is his biggest weakness IMO but the team playing well in front mitigates that. He's still young enough to improve. Georgiev is a finished product

The Avs remind me a lot of the 09-10 Hawks, one of the deepest teams to win in the last 15 years, with goaltending the major question. The other two Cups having a bonafide starter in Crawford helped a lot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Eh, Georgiev is the worst goalie left in the playoffs IMO, and it's not even close. He's the definition of inconsistent, which is why the Rangers were all too happy to let him go after he made demands of being their starter. Avs success would be in spite of his play, just like Kuemper before him. I'm not a huge Skinner fan but he's young and has shown he can be a great starter. Lateral movement is his biggest weakness IMO but the team playing well in front mitigates that. He's still young enough to improve. Georgiev is a finished product

The Avs remind me a lot of the 09-10 Hawks, one of the deepest teams to win in the last 15 years, with goaltending the major question. The other two Cups having a bonafide starter in Crawford helped a lot.
We erased cross ice plays against LA. That won't be so easily done in the subsequent series. Fundamentally Skinner is the worst starter left in the playoffs. By a significant margin.

The trouble is Georgiev has skills and could get hot at any time and was last night again. The AV's blew 5.5G AV against Hellebuck. They beat Ott 4X last night. I worry they would chew Skinner up.

So that playing the AV's the matter becomes how many goals do you actually have to score to secure a Win against them, and with Skinner in net giving up 5 here and there.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
We erased cross ice plays against LA. That won't be so easily done in the subsequent series. Fundamentally Skinner is the worst starter left in the playoffs. By a significant margin.

The trouble is Georgiev has skills and could get hot at any time and was last night again. The AV's blew 5.5G AV against Hellebuck. They beat Ott 4X last night. I worry they would chew Skinner up.

Avs offense is definitely not a question, it's there, and it's dangerous.

Dallas let them off the mat last night though, IMO. You said as well, they went to sleep after period 1. Jets stunk in the first round, I don't think Georgiev has been challenged much yet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Avs offense is definitely not a question, it's there, and it's dangerous.

Dallas let them off the mat last night though, IMO. You said as well, they went to sleep after period 1. Jets stunk in the first round, I don't think Georgiev has been challenged much yet.
Georgiev was spectacular in OT. Dallas had several chances to get that OT goal before AV's prevailed.

Reason nobody should want to play AV's is their scoring talent and that our best goalie option is Stuart Skinner. Thats not a great matchup. With Dallas we would get a team that goes into scoring funks just at the snap of a finger and for no discernible reason. Its what kills Dallas every postseason at some point.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Georgiev was spectacular in OT. Dallas had several chances to get that OT goal before AV's prevailed.

Reason nobody should want to play AV's is their scoring talent and that our best goalie option is Stuart Skinner. Thats not a great matchup. With Dallas we would get a team that goes into scoring funks just at the snap of a finger and for no discernible reason. Its what kills Dallas every postseason at some point.

Yup, Georgiev can have moments were he plays well. He also wasn't great in the first period. 3 goals can often be enough to lose a game, particularly in the playoffs. Dallas choked last night

Dallas fans won't like this but the bolded is the vets don't really show up and haven't in years (honorable mention to Robertson who is also a largely invisible man during the playoffs). When your 20 year old rookie is your biggest threat to score, you're in trouble.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think the Oilers have a better chance against Dallas. The Oilers don't have the horses on the blueline to contain Colorado's relentless speed and forecheck IMO and the Avs are just as deep as the Cup run, swap out Kadri for Mittelstadt, Compher for Trenin might be a bit of a downgrade but the forward group isn't all that different.

With that said, they still have to beat Vancouver which will be no easy task.

Reactions: Oilhawks

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I hope you’re right but Colorado is my pick to win it all.

1715194149978.png

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why do you or anybody want Colorado to win? That would be the worse matchup for the oIlers.

Colorado had a week off and Dallas was made to start a new series with one day off. This was an NHL scheduling defeat. Of course the Oilers don't get that benefit, Nucks had plenty of time off.
Hate Dallas going back to the old two tier league era and grudge playoff series. Historic boring style of play. Oilers have to beat very good teams to go anywhere whether Avalanche or Dallas and can't look past the Canucks. I'd rather see the elite top end skill face-off in the Conference Final and Colorado is still beatable unlike their wagon Cup team. Different strokes.

NHL playoff scheduling is a gong show.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad