Zack Smith on waivers (clears,resumes role as 2C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I hope the people who are up in arms about this quote aren't the same people who have been pleading to get rid of Smith all these years.
We wanted to get rid of him but not once we've traded everyone away for peanuts. This is a pure money move and now we've pizzed off Duch and likely Stone.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
To be fair he was a great soldier for us. When he was gritty and pesty he was an excellent third/fourth line centre. Overpaid and regressed now though

Not untrue but those type of guys are super replaceable. We unfortunately did not strike while the iron was hot.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It does ,having already cleared waivers They can have nhl ready depth in the minors,that they can move up and down without penality...While they shed cap space from their active roster...as we likely take a cap dump to move him

The cap space they would save by sending him down would be pretty much the same as the cap space they would lose by calling someone else up to replace him.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Love to see how Dorion is going to justify this one.

He just said the other day that they need some veterans around to help out with the kids. Now they want to dump Smith and get nothing in return?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zach Smith is not overpaid. Give your heads a shake. He had one bad season last year. Look at who he had to play with.

They probably put him on waivers instead of trading him because any deal they could make for him was going to require them to take back salary.
Could be another possibilty ....The logic behind this we all know is money related...They will either take a shorter term contract with less money attached ,or someone will claim him outright...

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
1- Stop giving bottom 6 players multi year contracts with NMCs (Smith, Thompson, Greening, Pyatt, Burrows etc)

2- Stop giving bottom 6 players after a career year playing with star talent a long term contract as if its the norm and not the exception. ie Greening, Smith.

3- Stop giving AHLers that have yet to prove themselves in the league 1 way contracts ie McCormick, Harpur.

Once you do those 3 things, you will have a much better cap structure for your budget franchise.

This advice is free to use for an inexperienced scout turned GM that might be lurking here.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Costs saving move embarrassing they never can get proper value for players it's absolutely sickening this team they will even screw up Duch and Stone trades ****ing idiots

They will screw up those trades like there's no tomorrow... you just watch the masters in action. Duchene to SJ for whatever they feel like sending us, plus 5 tarps and a used hair piece.

Reactions: YOW

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
You can't make this stuff up.... brilliant work Dorion...

All this f Dorion stuff is fair but he is simply paid to do a job. This all comes from above. Dorion needs to feed his family and has Melnyk bending him over. He is spineless but I understand. I don't agree, but I understand.

Brutal move is brutal

Reactions: Cheapseats

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
1- Stop giving bottom 6 players multi year contracts with NMCs (Smith, Thompson, Greening, Pyatt, Burrows etc)

2- Stop giving bottom 6 players after a career year playing with star talent a long term contract as if its the norm and not the exception. ie Greening, Smith.

3- Stop giving AHLers that have yet to prove themselves in the league 1 way contracts ie McCormick, Harpur.

Once you do those 3 things, you will have a much better cap structure for your budget franchise.

This advice is free to use for an inexperienced scout turned GM that might be lurking here.

Cap structure?

Cap structure?

CAP STRUCTURE?

You know we are talking about the Ottawa Senators right? The only issue they will have with the cap is getting to the floor.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Is it possible that Smith vocally disagreed with some of the moves PD and EM have made so as punishment they're sending him to ride the bus? I thought he looked decent in pre-season and we simply can't rush all our prospects to the NHL. I predict one of the worst seasons since our inauguration

Reactions: Cosmix

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
All this f Dorion stuff is fair but he is simply paid to do a job. This all comes from above. Dorion needs to feed his family and has Melnyk bending him over. He is spineless but I understand. I don't agree, but I understand.

Brutal move is brutal

Completely understand. But he's not doing the job and its his choice to be in this position. Therefore he's in the crossfire. Murray was able to manage being in this position quite well. But he had sack though.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Cap structure?

Cap structure?

CAP STRUCTURE?

You know we are talking about the Ottawa Senators right? The only issue they will have with the cap is getting to the floor.

Whats a cap structure and where can I see one? Are they tall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad