Zack Smith on waivers (clears,resumes role as 2C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
So be a man and quit if youre Dorion.

That won't feed his family. Again I don't agree, but good luck explaining to the wife quitting a high 6 figure a year job you've built your life around getting. Especially knowing after the contract/inevitable firing happens you won't be getting such a position again. It be different if he was a single man, he though is not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The cap space they would save by sending him down would be pretty much the same as the cap space they would lose by calling someone else up to replace him.
Look we are saying the same thing here,do u think the Sens are doing this to actually improve the team ??Or are they doing it to save money??Ottawa cant trade him without taking money back,we waive him...Nobody claims him,other cap team trades cap dump to us ...

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Guy Boucher on this:

"That's a question for Pierre. It's a management decision."

So Dorion doesn't even talk to his coach about waiving players. What a dysfunctional team...

Id take that more like "You dont want to know what I think of this jack ass and his moves...go ask him..."

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
In the past year or more has Dorion (read Melnyk) made any moves that are designed to make the team better? They know that except for Mtl and Toronto games where outside fans will fill the place, half the local fans won't go to games so it's all about shedding salary. It appears that they are building as much cap high but salary friendly contracts as they can to pad the numbers.

It wouldn't surprise me if a few leaders especially pending UFA walked into Dorion's office and asked for an immediate trade.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
i hope they flip duchene for a 2nd and a B+ prospect

already projecting a low scoring team so i’m assuming around trade deadline dooche will have about 25pts. all time low for value

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree that losing him doesn't make us any worse, but the fact that the decision to move on is coming NOW reeks of bad optics. Available evidence suggests this was probably not about his performance.

He probably won't get claimed. But I'd put good money on the fact that he's on waivers in the hopes that someone will scoop him. It's a case where the team's probably hoping to lose an asset for nothing just to get out from the self-imposed cap restrictions. And even if he's not claimed, it sets bad precedent as far as standing by your people AND creates a rift with Smith. Looking at the team from the outside as a player, I'd argue there's less reason to want to come to Ottawa than ever before.
I'm sure in one form or another, this is a financially motivated move, since that's been our MO for the last few years. I guess I just see zero chance anybody would want him and his contract, so it seems like it's a move to send him to the minors either way.

It does seem like it could burn some bridges with a guy under contract for 3 more years, but I'm sure he knows how bad he's been and that he is grossly overpaid.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Listening to the media and feeds coming in, Ottawa looks like an even bigger joke now. I was hoping it was just me over reacting. :(

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Wow, didn’t see this coming. Not sure of the logic behind this.

What happens if you’re below the cap floor?? Pay a fine to make up the difference?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Didn't we get offers for him at the deadline but passed because they weren't high enough - or was that Dorion using Garrioch to try and pump up his value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad