Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Chia moves awfully fast doesn't he? He sends Nurse to the AHL, says that he may earn a call up some time before the end of the season,... and he's called up after about a week. Same for Draisaitl. He claims Kassian, and the rhetoric is all about him proving he can show all the right things on and off the ice, and I guess that only takes a couple of weeks.

I get that Chiarelli has not been handed a lot by the previous GMs we've had, but isn't rushing players the one major thing we've bashed Tambi/Lowe/MacT for?

At any rate, like with any player I will always cheer for him to do well. I think Kassian could be a great player for us long term. I hope he's ready to take on this challenge in the state he's in today.

I don't think bringing up any of the young guys this early was his plan, but injuries forced his hand. When you're team is bereft of any type of depth, you have to bring up kids, ready or not. Not sure what other choices he had.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't think bringing up any of the young guys this early was his plan, but injuries forced his hand. When you're team is bereft of any type of depth, you have to bring up kids, ready or not. Not sure what other choices he had.

That and it wasn't a bad idea to bring Dr Drai up and Nurse. It actually made them better players. Maybe the same can be said of Kassian. Who knows :dunno:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Chia moves awfully fast doesn't he? He sends Nurse to the AHL, says that he may earn a call up some time before the end of the season,... and he's called up after about a week. Same for Draisaitl. He claims Kassian, and the rhetoric is all about him proving he can show all the right things on and off the ice, and I guess that only takes a couple of weeks.

I get that Chiarelli has not been handed a lot by the previous GMs we've had, but isn't rushing players the one major thing we've bashed Tambi/Lowe/MacT for?

At any rate, like with any player I will always cheer for him to do well. I think Kassian could be a great player for us long term. I hope he's ready to take on this challenge in the state he's in today.
Nurse and Draisaitl were both down in the AHL for over three weeks and got called up because of injuries. They stuck because they were better than some of the players on the NHL roster.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse and Draisaitl were both down in the AHL for over three weeks and got called up because of injuries. They stuck because they were better than some of the players on the NHL roster.

this same argument has been used for all other cases in the past of players being rushed, all of which could play very well for stretches but were inconsistent. (ie Gagner). In all those cases, their good play would erode over time.

At any rate, if Kassian is up for good with this just like Nurse and Draisaitl were, and if he bombs out of the league again like he did in Montreal, I will be saying that he was rushed into the lineup. I really hope that doesn't happen btw, and I've been wrong on players and moves before.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for him, I figured that it'd be another week or so but best of wishes to Kassian as he makes his return to the NHL.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

QhBqIYm.gif

Excuse the badly broken neck and wrong handedness.

:laugh:

Somebody call a priest!!

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm thinking this is an attempt to spark the team.

Kassian is a special kind of crazy and won't sit by while teammates get mugged.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I've been a big fan of Kassian since he was drafted and hated to see him leave the Canucks. I also think one of the biggest issues with Kassian in Vancouver was his linemates. Fans and management seemed to expect him to be a goal scorer and a grinder because of his size when, in reality, he was probably the third best passer on the team behind the Sedin's.

I think if he's got someone like Yakupov on his line that he can set up, then he will really succeed. He can and will fight anyone which gives Yak the protection to play a fairly wide open game and Kassian's speed was always very underrated. His size makes his speed very deceiving.

As much as I dislike the Oilers, I really hope Kassian turns things around and has success against everyone but Vancouver.

Wow! If he turns anywhere near that I will be happy.

Actually, in the Memorial Cup, Kassian played great. I seem to remember he played with Hall and Henrique

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

It could be the same for Kassian. Even if he is terrible, he may be just as effective as our entire bottom six.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
this same argument has been used for all other cases in the past of players being rushed, all of which could play very well for stretches but were inconsistent. (ie Gagner). In all those cases, their good play would erode over time.

At any rate, if Kassian is up for good with this just like Nurse and Draisaitl were, and if he bombs out of the league again like he did in Montreal, I will be saying that he was rushed into the lineup. I really hope that doesn't happen btw, and I've been wrong on players and moves before.

What else then?

Leave players in the A to develop even though the Oilers need them more? That won't go over well...

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm surprised he got called up this fast. Since he's still not quite 100% in terms of his fitness, I'm sure he won't be playing that much this game. Still looking forward to see how he plays nonetheless.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm surprised he got called up this fast. Since he's still not quite 100% in terms of his fitness, I'm sure he won't be playing that much this game. Still looking forward to see how he plays nonetheless.

We don't know he isn't 100% in terms of fitness. He's said he feels good, and he looks to be in better shape than ever before. The question is whether his timing will be off

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Not really his fault that we had so many injuries and then had so many vets just play god awful as well. We've essentially been taking the best player available from Bakersfield.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yes and deservedly so. Yet he's taking his sweet old time bringing McSavior back, kind of not sure what the plan is here.
Plus the fact that Mclellan is playing the hell out of the youngsters/pylons and underplaying the few competent Dmen they have.
I get that they had to call up Nurse due to injuries but the amount they are playing him boggles my mind.

I gotta say that I find myself questioning a lot of Chia and Mclellan's moves thus far.
I'm sure there is a method to their madness and I trust that they will right the ship eventually but some of the moves this offseason/in season are giving me pause.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Which is curious, because TM said earlier this week that that was the very reason they weren't playing Yak yet.

Distraction move IMO... Gets media and fans off Chiarelli\TMac's case after the pathetic effort at the end of last game.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Distraction move IMO... Gets media and fans off Chiarelli\TMac's case after the pathetic effort at the end of last game.

Not a chance. Neither Chiarelli nor TMac are in any danger of losing their jobs, they're about as secure as any coach or GM in the league.

This move's all about shaking up a team that is on the verge of losing the season. They're just looking for a spark from anyone, and Kassian's probably the best player not in the NHL for the Oilers right now.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not a chance. Neither Chiarelli nor TMac are in any danger of losing their jobs, they're about as secure as any coach or GM in the league.

This move's all about shaking up a team that is on the verge of losing the season. They're just looking for a spark from anyone.

picking up Connauton would have shaken things up as well considering the play of Hunt\Fayne\Schultz etc. No idea what Chia and co are thinking right now. Clearly not on the same page as Fleming down in AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad