Player Discussion Zack Kassian

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Forget that. This team needs to keep moving forward. I would rather the team get better then worry about Purcell's trade value or where we pick in the draft.

This for sure. Keep trudging forward, keep improving what we can until something big (eg, addition of a top line defender) catalyses the team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
hmmm....I doubt this is about him being ready as much as its about Chia trying to change a deflating room.

He is not ready, I would put money on that.

This is all about trying to provide a spark for a group inching towards the edge of a very tall building.

Which I agree with. Three losses that should have been wins in a row. I imagine things are turning ugly in the room.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He is not ready, I would put money on that.

This is all about trying to provide a spark for a group inching towards the edge of a very tall building.

Which I agree with. Three losses that should have been wins in a row. I imagine things are turning ugly in the room.

Ugly is good. Apathy is what I fear the most in that room.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Just curious as who these many ppl are saying he aunt ready ? Are they Bakersfield fans, the last thing you want is Kassian to be rushed. Especially if his off ice antics arent resolved.

Jason Gregor had a good interview with someone who is either part of the Condor's staff or is a writer who follows Bakersfield specifically (I missed his introduction). Anyway's, that individual was adamant that he was not ready to be brought up to the NHL. He was even reluctant when answering positively about Kassian's play in the AHL. He basically said that Kassian will agitate opponents on more nights then not, but his play isn't at the necessary level yet (I am not sure his exact words but this was essentially what he said). Im sure you can find the interview if you want.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Jason Gregor had a good interview with someone who is either part of the Condor's staff or is a writer who follows Bakersfield specifically (I missed his introduction). Anyway's, that individual was adamant that he was not ready to be brought up to the NHL. He was even reluctant when answering positively about Kassian's play in the AHL. He basically said that Kassian will agitate opponents on more nights then not, but his play isn't at the necessary level yet (I am not sure his exact words but this was essentially what he said). Im sure you can find the interview if you want.

The Oilers got Kassian for nothing. It was a deal for a goalie who isn't in the team's future.

If the Oilers get one game out of Kassian the trade is a win.

Perhaps the subject of the interview isn't quite aware of how this team's play isn't at the necessary level yet either.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Nucks fan here just to pitch in. This is very true. Kassian isn't the player you'd love him to be with the tools he has, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good player. He's an alright skater with really good hands. He's more of a playmaking winger with a big body able to use it to keep the puck away. While he doesn't really have any rushes to the net, he can find his way into open space or make plays to teammates who are.

He never worked out in Vancouver because our coaches always insisted he plays the crash and bang game, which just isn't his style. His best games by far were games where he was given the freedom to be himself and just focus on protecting the puck and making plays.

I wouldn't say he's great or terrible along the boards, just about average. Although he's not the fastest skater, I think he can keep up with those that are. Put him near the bottom of the left faceoff circle on the powerplay and he can work off the system to either set up passes from the goal-line or play the screen and create havoc in front of the net.

I don't know how much of his post-whistle antics were him or his coach telling him to get involved. He obviously has an edge to him but with McLellan, I think it could work, especially when you look at how many big bodied players with soft hands he coached in San Jose. Best of luck, hope he works out in Edmonton.

Cheers.

Agree for the most part but I think his goal scoring touch is underrated and you're underrating his skating big time. He's actually a very good quick skater, especially for his size..

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Cue the "why is Yak always playing with garbage" comments in 5....4...3...:D

Yak is playing with garbage as that is all that is available at the moment. When McDavid comes back and we can swap him in for Lander, it will be an interesting line with Kassian on the wing.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Yeah, I don't know what the Oilers are thinking there. Oh well.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I really don't understand the love for Pak

He apparently had 10 hits last night.
Probably getting rewarded for it... Drew a penalty and was very good on a couple shifts during the PK

Hopefully Lander with some skill, grit and speed on his line gets going... Yak on 4th line is fine but Yak playing LW isnt.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
The Oilers got Kassian for nothing. It was a deal for a goalie who isn't in the team's future.

If the Oilers get one game out of Kassian the trade is a win.

Perhaps the subject of the interview isn't quite aware of how this team's play isn't at the necessary level yet either.

I'm not sure what in my post solicited the first part of your response. I have nothing against the trade. I just wanted to post that someone close to the team in Bakersfield doesn't see Kassian being NHL ready yet. He didn't say Kassian will never be ready just that he is not ready for NHL competition yet.

I understand your final point though. Perhaps the interviewee is not comparing Kassian to players in our current garbage lineup. There are clearly several players on the Oiler's current roster who are not ready for NHL competition.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I thought Pakarinen has been very good in limited ice time and has done all asked of him

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yeah, I don't know what the Oilers are thinking there. Oh well.

I'm betting they figure it's easier to get a up to NHL speed if he's practicing and seeing game action in the NHL? He's not coming in to play 18 minutes a night so I don't see what the big deal is.

It's partly that and partly needing to shake the team up a bit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He apparently had 10 hits last night.
Probably getting rewarded for it... Drew a penalty and was very good on a couple shifts during the PK

Hopefully Lander with some skill, grit and speed on his line gets going... Yak on 4th line is fine but Yak playing LW isnt.

Say what you will about Pak but he always brings 100% effort.

To me this is as much a shot in the jaw to Teddy Purcell as rewarding Pakarinen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad