Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Other thread hit 1,000 posts.

L7U0Xug.jpg

Well here we go.

I'm looking forward to what he can do in the NHL.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can't wait until we get McDavid back and we stop having a 4th line center playing in the 3rd line role.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I like it. Many ppl will say he isn't ready. But whatever right? Maybe he can be a spark plug this team needs to wake up because whatever they're doing now obviously isn't working. Lol.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
You can put a lipstick on a pig all you want but at the end of the day Kassian has never been a banger, grinder, physical present. That's what's frustrating about him. He has the physical mold but very rarely or consistently uses it.

If you want him to succeed he needs top 6 role of he will be waived by All Star break when McD, Yak etc comes back.

Nucks fan here just to pitch in. This is very true. Kassian isn't the player you'd love him to be with the tools he has, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good player. He's an alright skater with really good hands. He's more of a playmaking winger with a big body able to use it to keep the puck away. While he doesn't really have any rushes to the net, he can find his way into open space or make plays to teammates who are.

He never worked out in Vancouver because our coaches always insisted he plays the crash and bang game, which just isn't his style. His best games by far were games where he was given the freedom to be himself and just focus on protecting the puck and making plays.

I wouldn't say he's great or terrible along the boards, just about average. Although he's not the fastest skater, I think he can keep up with those that are. Put him near the bottom of the left faceoff circle on the powerplay and he can work off the system to either set up passes from the goal-line or play the screen and create havoc in front of the net.

I don't know how much of his post-whistle antics were him or his coach telling him to get involved. He obviously has an edge to him but with McLellan, I think it could work, especially when you look at how many big bodied players with soft hands he coached in San Jose. Best of luck, hope he works out in Edmonton.

Cheers.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
I like the idea of him being a bet front presence in our pp. keep JE on the point getting shots through and moving the puck.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Cool. Can he play defense?

All joking aside, I hope they don't see him as some sort of savior. I am looking forward to seeing how he fits on this team and if he's ready to handle NHL pace.
I think they should have given him more AHL time so to me, this seems rushed and reactionary based on recent events.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Cool. Can he play defense?

Not really. In my opinion, he wasn't terrible or costing his team ala Cody Hodgson (sorry, don't really know which Oiler would compare) but he's not quite average either. He may be out of position on the odd occasion but nothing egregious I would say.

Even though he doesn't rush the net with the puck often, if someone else is carrying the puck on the rush, he'll be the guy that goes to the net and takes a defenceman with him. Could be good with Hall on the other wing, knowing how Hall likes to carry the puck.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Not really. In my opinion, he wasn't terrible or costing his team ala Cody Hodgson (sorry, don't really know which Oiler would compare) but he's not quite average either. He may be out of position on the odd occasion but nothing egregious I would say.

Even though he doesn't rush the net with the puck often, if someone else is carrying the puck on the rush, he'll be the guy that goes to the net and takes a defenceman with him. Could be good with Hall on the other wing, knowing how Hall likes to carry the puck.

I actually like this idea.

Hall-Drai-Kassian is a cool idea for a line. Atleast until Mcdavid comes back.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm hoping he comes up and shows signs of being a replacement for Purcell in the future.

I think he'd be an ideal complementary RW for Hall-Draisaitl-X if he can keep up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm thinking this might be a two game look with Hendricks out for the next two. And why not...the team is in Cali anyways.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Can't wait until we get McDavid back and we stop having a 4th line center playing in the 3rd line role.

If you're referring to Letestu as that 4th line centre, I doubt you're going to be happy then. When McD comes back, there's every chance they move Drai back to the wing where he first started this year at, and roll with McD and Nuge as the top centres.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I would rather keep Purcell on the top line with Hall. Our season is basically kaput and keeping Purcell with our best player will get him points which makes him a valuable asset at the TDL. I hate how he plays though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I expected him to get called up at some point, regardless, unless he absolutely fell apart on the farm, but calling him up after such a short stint smacks of a bit of desperation IMO. Hope it works out. If he can get a couple SJ guys chasing him around instead of the puck, we'll know he's doing his job.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
I like it. Many ppl will say he isn't ready. But whatever right? Maybe he can be a spark plug this team needs to wake up because whatever they're doing now obviously isn't working. Lol.

Just curious as who these many ppl are saying he aunt ready ? Are they Bakersfield fans, the last thing you want is Kassian to be rushed. Especially if his off ice antics arent resolved.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I would rather keep Purcell on the top line with Hall. Our season is basically kaput and keeping Purcell with our best player will get him points which makes him a valuable asset at the TDL. I hate how he plays though.

Forget that. This team needs to keep moving forward. I would rather the team get better then worry about Purcell's trade value or where we pick in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad