Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

QhBqIYm.gif

Excuse the badly broken neck and wrong handedness.

zduck14

Jan 13, 2016
I don't see Kassian have much success with those two. I was hoping to see him with at least one good playmaker.

I've been a big fan of Kassian since he was drafted and hated to see him leave the Canucks. I also think one of the biggest issues with Kassian in Vancouver was his linemates. Fans and management seemed to expect him to be a goal scorer and a grinder because of his size when, in reality, he was probably the third best passer on the team behind the Sedin's.

I think if he's got someone like Yakupov on his line that he can set up, then he will really succeed. He can and will fight anyone which gives Yak the protection to play a fairly wide open game and Kassian's speed was always very underrated. His size makes his speed very deceiving.

As much as I dislike the Oilers, I really hope Kassian turns things around and has success against everyone but Vancouver.

dhawken

Jul 6, 2006
Michigan
I've been a big fan of Kassian since he was drafted and hated to see him leave the Canucks. I also think one of the biggest issues with Kassian in Vancouver was his linemates. Fans and management seemed to expect him to be a goal scorer and a grinder because of his size when, in reality, he was probably the third best passer on the team behind the Sedin's.

I think if he's got someone like Yakupov on his line that he can set up, then he will really succeed. He can and will fight anyone which gives Yak the protection to play a fairly wide open game and Kassian's speed was always very underrated. His size makes his speed very deceiving.

As much as I dislike the Oilers, I really hope Kassian turns things around and has success against everyone but Vancouver.

That's a pretty good first post IMO

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Kassian/Letestu/Yakupov

Top 9 looking a bit better

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
To me this is as much a shot in the jaw to Teddy Purcell as rewarding Pakarinen.
Exactly. And Pouliot could use a punch in the face to motivate him a bit as well. Both of those guys are such floaters out there.

I understand that the board doesn't have big expectations of either of those players, but its been a bit ridiculous to see RNH, Eberle, (even Hall and Drai a bit) getting roasted while the double Ps get a total pass for their very lukewarm play.

I'm all for moving Pakarinen up the lineup for a few games. And if Kassian can show anything at all, I'd move him onto the line with RNH and let Pouliot see how he likes the third line for awhile.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I hope Lander gets something going. If he finished the season like last year's, the Oilers might be able to win a few more games in regulation.

Excited to see Kassian, the less the current bottom six plays the better.

Gambl0r83*

Kassian looks like Stifler.
What's that hockey movie again?

I think he will have a huge impact in the dressing room. The bottom 6 will take his lead and that could be the exact recipe we need right now

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chia moves awfully fast doesn't he? He sends Nurse to the AHL, says that he may earn a call up some time before the end of the season,... and he's called up after about a week. Same for Draisaitl. He claims Kassian, and the rhetoric is all about him proving he can show all the right things on and off the ice, and I guess that only takes a couple of weeks.

I get that Chiarelli has not been handed a lot by the previous GMs we've had, but isn't rushing players the one major thing we've bashed Tambi/Lowe/MacT for?

At any rate, like with any player I will always cheer for him to do well. I think Kassian could be a great player for us long term. I hope he's ready to take on this challenge in the state he's in today.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I assume he's filling in for Hendricks for a few games and in the process PC will get a good look at him to see where he's at. Still think he was called up way too quickly, but I guess we'll see.

I hope he does well though because this is it for him if he can't eventually get back to his NHL level.

Hey, at least he didn't have to travel that far. haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad