News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 Part II - Mod Warning in Post#1

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If Kassian is done for the year, we need someone else to step up in the role of an enforcer, or at the very least, a guy who's intimidating enough to at least deter POS's like Rinaldo and Komarov to run our stars.

Who the hell do you think Rinaldo is going to be scared of tomorrow? Or Neil/Smith/Borowiecki Sunday?

This is really misguided.

If Boston wants to play Rinaldo for 13 minutes against Montreal, that's a huge advantage for the Canadiens. Why would you think they need to respond to that? As for Komarov, I mean, are you serious? You think you need an "answer" to Leo Komarov? You think anyone is intimidated by Leo Komarov?

Why would you think its required for Zac Rinaldo to be "scared" of someone? You think, if Kassian was in the lineup, Rinaldo would play a different game?

If the Senators want to dress Neil or better yet, Borowiecki, that's fantastic. That guy is horrible on defense and skates like he's wearing boots and running on the ice. If they choose to dress that guy, it's a huge gift to the Canadiens. To suggest Montreal would be better off dressing a player that you think will "scare" other teams tough guys is just absurd.

You're about 15 years late to the party.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Elliot Friedman said as such. Pretty sure he doesn't speak only from speculation.

Friedman is full of it. Someone already pointed this out.
If MB writes Kass off without allowing him to prove himself after therapy
he becomes the biggest hypocrite in hockey. M. Karacter

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

This is Kassian's 4th or 5th(possibly more) chance. He was in stage 1 "multiple times".

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015

That's a little unfair. MB gave Kass a chance to prove himself and Kass failed. How many chances is MB obligated to give him?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't agree. MB gave him an opportunity and he blew it. Addiction or not, Bergevin isn't responsible for salvaging this guy's career. He's got a hockey team to run.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is Kassian's 4th or 5th(possibly more) chance. He was in stage 1 "multiple times".

Which makes it even worse.
If you are taking on that risk you damn well better make sure there is a viable support system in place.
I'm fairly certain the majority of this fan base would have heavily objected to the trade had they known the full extent of Kassian's affliction. MB has to know you can't just say "We are taking a chance on you don't do it again" to an addict/substance abuser. It just doesn't work that way. The man suffers from a disease. Knowing what he had to know before pulling the trigger on the deal keeps him firmly on the hook. If Kassian gets clean and works on the issues that sent him in a tailspin in the first place he deserves a chance at getting his career back on track. There are enough support groups in every NHL City to help with the day to day struggles he will face. I can't see the Habs dropping the ball on this.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Also not Bergevin's problem. Has nothing to do with character if Kassian can't clean himself up through rehab. We're here to win hockey games not babysit his life. He doesn't deserve a sixth chance and if he doesn't get one that's his fault, not Bergevin's.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think Friedman's speculation may have been based more on the length of time the Stage 2 program takes to complete. And, realistically, how long it takes most substance abusers to overcome their addictions. Nothing to do with Bergevin intentionally cutting ties.

I don't get the sense that this is some thing where he goes away for a month or two and poof, he's cured and ready to play hockey. It takes some addicts months or even years to get better. Some never do. Some do but can't return to certain past environments because it's too easy for them to relapse and fall back into hold habits.

Don't forget, a doctor has to approve Kassian's return. Which means that not only does he have to be clean, but the doctor needs to believe that Kassian can be reinserted into a hockey environment again and all that entails (playing in a party city with friends and teammates who go clubbing or to bars every night, etc) and be able to keep himself clean. If Kassian has been battling these issues for as long as people say he has, there's a very realistic chance he could never return to playing hockey again, for anyone. Nothing but my own personal speculation, but in extreme cases, that's what it comes down to.

Contractually, our obligation to Kassian is for one year. And it's entirely possible he'll spend that entire contract year getting help for his addiction.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
if kassian is done for the year, we need someone else to step up in the role of an enforcer, or at the very least, a guy who's intimidating enough to at least deter pos's like rinaldo and komarov to run our stars.

Who the hell do you think rinaldo is going to be scared of tomorrow? Or neil/smith/borowiecki sunday?

It has nothing to do with fights. We just don't have anyone to fight back or keep them in line. And i can already see you guys coming with the "nobody prevents cheap shots, yada yada yada...". There's a psychological game that is being played on the ice, and we're playing against 2 dangerous teams on that aspect in 24 hours. Don't act as if chris neil and zack smith weren't less dirty with parros, murray, prust and moen all in the lineup.

I'm actually really worried for this coming weekend.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I think Friedman's speculation may have been based more on the length of time the Stage 2 program takes to complete. And, realistically, how long it takes most substance abusers to overcome their addictions. Nothing to do with Bergevin intentionally cutting ties.

The problem with this system and notion is that no one ever "overcomes" their addictions. It's always there. You constantly have to be aware. No one is ever cured of addiction. It's a disease that requires a life-time of treatment.

Who's to say that playing hockey with a team filled with close support while getting treatment wouldn't be a good option and source of stability for him?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Montreal is not a very good city to stay if you want to be far from temptations. It is a very fun city. In fact, I live in Vancouver now and I find it boring as night life goes, so if he was not even able to resist temptations over here, imagine in Montreal....

Maybe he should be traded to Winnipeg :)

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Montreal is not a very good city to stay if you want to be far from temptations. It is a very fun city. In fact, I live in Vancouver now and I find it boring as night life goes, so if he was not even able to resist temptations over here, imagine in Montreal....

Maybe he should be traded to Winnipeg :)

If you're going to relapse, you're going to relapse anywhere.

He's probably getting treatment in Montreal anyhow.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
If you're going to relapse, you're going to relapse anywhere.

He's probably getting treatment in Montreal anyhow.

True, but I believe some cities are worse on this aspect. Isn't it Ribeiro who said he choose Nashville over New-York exactly for this reason?

There should be a team in Victoria :)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The problem with this system and notion is that no one ever "overcomes" their addictions. It's always there. You constantly have to be aware. No one is ever cured of addiction. It's a disease that requires a life-time of treatment.

That's true, I just didn't feel I needed to go the whole nine yards and say "overcome his addiction/issues to the point of being able to play hockey again" etc etc.

Who's to say that playing hockey with a team filled with close support while getting treatment wouldn't be a good option and source of stability for him?

No one's to say, it was nothing more than my own speculation. If that does turn out to be the best for him, great.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
True, but I believe some cities are worse on this aspect. Isn't it Ribeiro who said he choose Nashville over New-York exactly for this reason?

There should be a team in Victoria :)

Certainly, then that becomes a personal decision. Shouldn't be decided for him.

I know when I was in the program I stayed in MTL to be close to family and friends who could support.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
According to Friedman, Kassian is pretty much done in Montreal.

28. Canadiens coach Michel Therrien confirmed Tuesday what was widely suspected, that Zack Kassian had already been through Stage One of the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse Program.

It had been rumoured that was the case in Vancouver, but the Canucks never confirmed it at the time, nor should they have. Stan Smyl spent a ton of time working with Kassian, but it’s very clear the Canadiens are already out of patience.

It’s extremely unlikely he will play for Montreal this season. Can only hope the possibility his NHL career could be over scares him to the proper path

Looks to me that Friedmann is merely speculating. Sure, the odds look daunting right now, given his history and relapse, however, the whole thing needs to play itself out. The guy's health lies in the balance and is the only real stake. That the Habs lost a player or may never have an association with him, is beyond the scope at this point. The guy has a disease and is getting professional assistance. I can't get myself to see him in hockey terms right now since it's the least of his concerns and rightly so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad