News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 Part II - Mod Warning in Post#1

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Continue here, but please remember the rules in regards to libel.

From site rules:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Fair enough that addiction isn't a "lack of character" issue, but even in PC culture addiction is still blamed on the person who's addicted and it's still uncommon to try and help those who need help rather than just point a finger at them. Addiction and mental health in general aren't taken seriously enough.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Fair enough that addiction isn't a "lack of character" issue, but even in PC culture addiction is still blamed on the person who's addicted and it's still uncommon to try and help those who need help rather than just point a finger at them. Addiction and mental health in general aren't taken seriously enough.

Like I said earlier, hopefully he gets help and comes out a better person and a better player.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm rooting for Kass, I just hope this is his wake up call and turns his career and life around.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Does anyone have a link to Pacioretty's comments? Or even a synopsis would be fine.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I'm rooting for Kass, I just hope this is his wake up call and turns his career and life around.

Me too. He needs help and he needs to help himself. And if he does, the Habs family will support him.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

it's not all black or white, you can't take the blame away from him entirely unless we learn that his lady friends handcuffed him and stuck a bottle down his throat. I hope he gets better because i'm sure he's a cool dude, but I don't want him around my team ever again

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
it's not all black or white, you can't take the blame away from him entirely unless we learn that his lady friends handcuffed him and stuck a bottle down his throat. I hope he gets better because i'm sure he's a cool dude, but I don't want him around my team ever again

It's not just specifically with this incident. If he has an alcohol abuse problems he needs help to fight it. You don't beat alcoholism on your own.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
You can if sufficiently motivated.

Yeah, I mean, we live in the "anything's possible" world. But in the experiences of those I know, and those I've just heard of I suppose, being left to one's "own devices" makes it much, much harder to overcome than having even just 1 person to lean on through the process. Hence the "sponsor" element of recovery programs, etc.

I'm willing to bet that many/most who try to make a go of it on their own just end up withdrawing away from those around them to spare them being at ground zero of the carnage (the guilty awareness that comes after acceptance), and fall deeper over time instead of getting better.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Yeah, I mean, we live in the "anything's possible" world. But in the experiences of those I know, and those I've just heard of I suppose, being left to one's "own devices" makes it much, much harder to overcome than having even just 1 person to lean on through the process. Hence the "sponsor" element of recovery programs, etc.

I'm willing to bet that many/most who try to make a go of it on their own just end up withdrawing away from those around them to spare them being at ground zero of the carnage (the guilty awareness that comes after acceptance), and fall deeper over time instead of getting better.

I see your point, but given some of my personal contacts, I see that it is possible to do alone. So, I get a bit tired of the general "can't do it alone" dogma. It simply takes will. Some have a stronger will than others. At the same time, if someone doesn't want to quit, that strong will aspect can work in the opposite direction. I don't want this to get off track though, so, I'll leave it at that. Too bad this whole situation is taking up so much bandwidth with the first game just around the corner.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I see your point, but given some of my personal contacts, I see that it is possible to do alone. So, I get a bit tired of the general "can't do it alone" dogma. It simply takes will. Some have a stronger will than others. At the same time, if someone doesn't want to quit, that strong will aspect can work in the opposite direction. I don't want this to get off track though, so, I'll leave it at that. Too bad this whole situation is taking up so much bandwidth with the first game just around the corner.

Never suggested it wasn't possible (I know it is), rather that it's a key element toward having a 50% chance to beat it as opposed to 5% (numbers made up to illustrate the point), for myriad reasons. I guess what I'm saying is, when people say "you can't beat it alone", the actual suggestion is that "it's much, much easier with help".

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wouldn't it just be easier to conclude that

- Some people can do it alone

- Some people can't and need help

Nothing wrong with either approach if it leads to the person getting healthy.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
It's not just specifically with this incident. If he has an alcohol abuse problems he needs help to fight it. You don't beat alcoholism on your own.

Um, actually, you, the addict, are the only person who can beat addiction.

All the help in the world means nothing if the person who's suffering doesn't want to get better. And sure, a good support system helps a lot if you're really trying to make a go of it, and different people may need different amounts of support once they've decided to kick it, but the first and most important prerequisite for beating addiction is intrinsic motivation.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What are your rules in regard to libel? I practiced law for 15 years, still haven't figure it out, glad a couple mods on HF did.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What are your rules in regard to libel? I practiced law for 15 years, still haven't figure it out, glad a couple mods on HF did.

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

I'll edit post 1 to include this.

Also should you ever wish to read the rules:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
hopefully he gets better, and returns to hockey and decides to have a season to remember. His next contract depends on it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I'll edit post 1 to include this.

Also should you ever wish to read the rules:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

The rules? Why would I read those after all these years? :)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

We haven't, so we delete any posts that even come close to being able to be considered libel just to be on the safe side ;)

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I hope they turn him into an answer to Lucic.

Trying to make him into something he's not is one (clearly not the only) reason his career hasn't gone according to plan.

It's time to get over Lucic. He's out west and he sucks anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad