News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 Part II - Mod Warning in Post#1

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
They obviously don't owe him anything but it would be stupid to not give him a chance. If he comes through this better and stronger than when he got here and proves to be an effective player than it was a good gamble. If he continues to struggle at least we gave him a chance, and shedded some salary at the same time.

Bergevin did one of his patented low-risk high-reward moves and we're still waiting to see if it pans out.

The chance is already given, that ship sailed long ago. Since everyone around here are in full on Mother Theresa mode, I need to be that heartless SoB and say Zack Kassian shall not become our burden. We're not giving him another chance for the sake of giving him a chance. He'll get all the off-ice support he can get, then we'll see about the rest when we get there.

I don't expect to see him back unless we are plagued with injuries.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
The Montreal Canadiens owe Kassian nothing.

The organization took him in with good faith.

On the eve of the season opener he was out all night partying.

Kassian is not on the same mental level as the rest of the team... who have grown together and are all VERY focused on team success.

Its MB's call... if ZK eventually gets another shot.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Mother Theresa kind of didn't believe in painkillers and other types of medicines and let people under her care suffer. Among other things.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
The chance is already given, that ship sailed long ago. Since everyone around here are in full on Mother Theresa mode, I need to be that heartless SoB and say Zack Kassian shall not become our burden. We're not giving him another chance for the sake of giving him a chance. He'll get all the off-ice support he can get, then we'll see about the rest when we get there.

I don't expect to see him back unless we are plagued with injuries.

My feelings, as well.

The Habs are contending this year.

Its no time for screwing around with head-cases.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I feel for Kassian, and the countless others who suffer from dependence and addiction. I truly hope he can be one of those that not only overcomes it, but also finds success afterwards. His enormously big advantage vs us ordinary people is that he is a Montreal Canadien. I just hope our organization walks the walk and follows through to the end.

From what we hear, Montreal knew of his history of problems (which may explain the addition of the draft pick) and yet, we still made the trade.

As stated, MG was visibly upset, talked about character and judgement. When he took over, he hired numerous ex-players because of their personal knowledge and experience of living the life of an NHL player. The transition, temptations, professionalism, etc how to make it. We've invested millions in these guys to help guide our players towards the proper path. Where did we fail?

With all this renewed investment in development, the history of the Habs, the importance and honor of our organization, and how this all instills those intangible traits related to being a Canadien, IMHO, we need to follow through with Kassian.

Buffalo and Vancouver couldn't handle him. We took him in knowing full well of his issues. If we jettison him at years end, after our "legal contractual obligations" has expired, then to me, it's a black mark on us. All this talk about character, honor means absolutely nothing if we can't take care of our own.

NHL players are like Hollywood stars, especially here in Montreal. They have personal assistants, shadowing them, catering to their needs. Why can't we have one for Kassian? Someone to keep him in line making sure he sticks to his medical protocol, filter him from those moments that he may waiver from that fine line he desperately requires? We have rookies (eg Gally) that lived with a vet to help them, nurture them, keep them in line.

Pac's is the captain now (I love him, as i do Subby). Step up. Take him in. You talk and praise about Beliveau being such an inspiration etc. Then step up and be like him, go beyond and do what's best for your teammate. Being captain is not just a "C" on your jersey. Show people you know that it means so much more.

We've invested in Kassian, all this talk about "character", what it means to be a Hab, and yet, you know he has a big problem and don't take the necessary steps to provide additional protection for him against himself? Then, when he falters, you act all upset and then throw him under the bus when he messes up. To me, its hypocritical.

This isn't just about hockey or "business." MB, you took him in, he's your responsibility. Your turn to show this character you speak of.

The fact he was not suspended and deleted like the Kings did with Richards speak about the level of character showed by Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens.

Are you really suggesting Pacioretty should take this animal in to live with his beautiful wife and kid?? Are you out of your mind?

This guy is sick and need therapy, he's not a rookie who needs help to cook his meals. This is the NHL not Le Portage.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Kassian is not on the same mental level as the rest of the team... who have grown together and are all VERY focused on team success.

3 days before (the 4th of October) is not the eve of opening night (7th of October). Can you give me proof the whole team was at bed at 10 PM on October 4th and that none partied? The only reason we know about Kassian is because he had an accident. Maybe most of the whole team was partying all around downtown, we'll never know.

As for Kassian playing, we'll see if he comes back in playing shape.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
If Kassian recovers and stays clean long enough for the Habs to win the Cup in 2016, it's worth it even if he relapses after that. What did he cost the Habs (besides angst)? Brandon Prust, by now now is shop-worn.

Uh no?

A sport accomplishment is absolutely not worth risking someone's long term mental health. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Apr 28, 2010
I say bring him back in. Give him a chance to redeem himself. If the team is really mentally strong this year, then no person can ruin the team's chemistry. One player can't possibly give our team cancer.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011

How do you know he's not on their level? There's a cocaine and prescription pill problem throughout the league so how can you say everyone on the team is on the same level? Are you personally close to all the players on the team? I'm sure everyone would've thought the Kings were on a high level then Richards gets caught with drugs at the border and Voynov beats the crap out of a woman. There was a time when Price was having certain lifestyle issues at one point and now everything's fine. If he comes back and can help the team we should let him back if not we should get rid of him.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
How do you know he's not on their level? There's a cocaine and prescription pill problem throughout the league so how can you say everyone on the team is on the same level? Are you personally close to all the players on the team? I'm sure everyone would've thought the Kings were on a high level then Richards gets caught with drugs at the border and Voynov beats the crap out of a woman. There was a time when Price was having certain lifestyle issues at one point and now everything's fine. If he comes back and can help the team we should let him back if not we should get rid of him.

I am clearly making assumptions.

Still, MB has put together a focused bunch of players. There is no doubt about that.

Imagine Pleks or Gallagher or Markov or Max P. in such a situation?

Not likely.

Anyway, that being said, may Kassian get well and successfully resume his hockey career. I wish the man no ill will.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

The penalties he was taking were not about hockey. He doesn't have the character the rest of the team has. If he followed them.... for a year.... maybe. He doesn't seem curious to improve as a hockey player. He seems weary of injuries. I don't blame him. But he is very young and there's a long way to go in life. He needs to rethink stuff. Constantly, as a skill.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The fact he was not suspended and deleted like the Kings did with Richards speak about the level of character showed by Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens.
If Kassian still had about 30M left on his contract like Richards, then you bet your ass they would have tried to get out of it.

Are you really suggesting Pacioretty should take this animal in to live with his beautiful wife and kid?? Are you out of your mind?
Dude, he's not an animal. He likes to party, there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is he works for a major company that's in the public's eye and is performance based. So if you screw up, it's kind of a big deal. In no way does it make him an animal. That's just silly.
This guy is sick and need therapy, he's not a rookie who needs help to cook his meals. This is the NHL not Le Portage.
Addiction doesn't have age limits.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If Kassian still had about 30M left on his contract like Richards, then you bet your ass they would have tried to get out of it.

Dude, he's not an animal. He likes to party, there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is he works for a major company that's in the public's eye and is performance based. So if you screw up, it's kind of a big deal. In no way does it make him an animal. That's just silly.

Addiction doesn't have age limits.

There is a problem with that. This team has tried to get to the contender level for a long time. And he already had the girls, why the drugs and booze?

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
He can't come back till the league doctors say it's ok? Does anyone know if he's in treatment? Or kicking around his hometown or what? I guess they don't release that kind of information.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There is a problem with that. This team has tried to get to the contender level for a long time. And he already had the girls, why the drugs and booze?

Why are some people addicted to gambling?..Why do some people can't stop cheating?..Why do some have to party?..Why are some can't stop playing games?..What about kleptos and pyros?..What about those who can't stop eating and become 600lbs??..

It's a mental issue, its considered a disease. Even when it's known that giving into this addiction will bring negative consequences, they still do it. You realize how difficult this must be?

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
I am clearly making assumptions.

Still, MB has put together a focused bunch of players. There is no doubt about that.

Imagine Pleks or Gallagher or Markov or Max P. in such a situation?

Not likely.

Anyway, that being said, may Kassian get well and successfully resume his hockey career. I wish the man no ill will.

I just don't agree that no players on our team do drugs. With how rampant these things allegedly are in the NHL i doubt we're batting 0/23 on doing drugs. Not to pile on the guy but Richards was a Team Canada player super character Flyers captain not that long ago. Unfortunately these guys take a licking the are likely to get prescribed painkillers and they can easily become addicted (not saying this makes them bad guys or anything just an unfortunate side effects of these pills that happens to non athletes as well). Bergevin did bring Kassian and I remember reading they were aware he had certain issues when he was acquired. He wasn't driving the car (shouldn't have put himself in that situation but still…) had his car not been crashed with someone else behind the wheel we would all be assuming he was fine off the ice. Not saying there are any players in particular i suspect but it seems unlikely we would have absolutely zero problems with something that's allegedly a problem in the league and then we knowingly trade for a guy with those very issues.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Why are some people addicted to gambling?..Why do some people can't stop cheating?..Why do some have to party?..Why are some can't stop playing games?..What about kleptos and pyros?..What about those who can't stop eating and become 600lbs??..

It's a mental issue, its considered a disease. Even when it's known that giving into this addiction will bring negative consequences, they still do it. You realize how difficult this must be?

Montreal has traded tons of players for this reason, so I know what you are saying. But would we have really won more Cups keeping those guys? Then again, these guys need to have fun. Maybe they need a party advisor.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Montreal has traded tons of players for this reason, so I know what you are saying. But would we have really won more Cups keeping those guys? Then again, these guys need to have fun. Maybe they need a party advisor.

Not everyone becomes a Ribeiro or Kassian. Those guys, it's not about Mtl. They can be in boring Buffalo, they'll still have that addiction in them and it's only a matter of time before it manifests itself. Unless they realize they have this problem in them and fight it.
But other players go through their party phase and then settle down, like Price.

But teams definitely need people in place to help guide their young players.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Tye only scenario in which I can see Kassian come back to the Habs is if were riddled with injuries and NEED bodies going into the playoffs. Otherwise I think he's pretty much done with the Habs.

Canadiens took a chance on him and he blew it. St this point he's more of a distraction than any sort of benefit. I would have liked to see what he could do but doubt we will at this point.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal

(HI/O Show - Episode 2 -10/07/15)
i'm not sure if this was posted before, but its from hockeyinsideout, the first half they discuss kassian. nilan, cowan, todd and bennet, gave their opinions. nilan's history is well known and he's been poignant in describing his own person addiction and experiences so i trust what he has to say. I like when todd said he agreed with MB but perhaps should have been more sympathetic. bennet mentioned how they should be viewed as people instead of commodities, and just can't wash your hands.

You dont know if they took "necessary steps" or not
Blaming MB for Kassian's personal decisions (grown man) is very weird....
So stop defending him like its MB's fault

you're absolutely right, i don't personally know what steps they took. i'm like you, on the outside, so its just an opinion. no need to skew it to an extreme side. i'm not saying its all MB's fault and kassian is an innocent angel. the onus is on the individual. however, knowing his situation, and then taking him in, MB becomes responsible.

You are absolutely correct we don't know what steps were taken and we probably never will.
The NHL and its members take out a big broom and find a nice big rug to sweep everything under.
They have long applauded themselves on their sqeaky clean image and this is how they intend to keep it. This is part of the problem.

As for the rest your post you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. An habitual substance abuser is indeed a Jekyl and Hyde personality. There is no right or wrong and as for judging the nature and quality of an action pfui. Unless you are an addict or live with an addict or treat addiction, you might want to refrain from trying to understand how their minds work. They can be viable productive members of society one minute and even for days on end and then one thought or trigger can place them beyond help. As for blaming MB for Kassian's actions no one did that. They brought into question his judgement.
He just has to know better.

Agreed, the jekyl and hyde personality is a good analogy. in the above video, they discuss how judgement/character with people with this illness disappears after a couple beers and all goes to hell. nilan mentions if kassian had lymphoma, we'd all be so understanding. but, because its addiction, some people lose their sensitivity. kassian does have to know better. he has to learn and change his thinking. like nilan mentioned, its about being active and progressive, dealing with it day to day. its much more than intellectual.

great post. I'd really like to see us take the more sensitive approach and really give this guy the support he needs. For him firstly and for us as well...

thanks bro. i loved when nilan says (in the above video) he doesn't think its important whether or not kassian plays with us afterwards, most important thing is that he has to worry about his own life and get back on track.

I really don't know the specifics of the richards/kings situation. was richards in stage 1/2? can you please inform me. yes, MB/Habs have lots of character. MB et al have worked hard to draft, sign players that they believe can handle the pressure here in montreal. i love that. but, then they traded for kassian. what does that say to you? they knew more than we do. they took a chance. kassian faltered. wipe hands or deal with it and show this character you speak of?

kassian is not an animal. pacs speaks of beliveau. beliveau always said he was available 24/7 and went beyond protocol and the symbolic C on his chest. yes, i'm suggesting him to take him in with his "beautiful" wife. if she was not beautiful, would you not object?

yes, he is sick and needs therapy. that's why he's in stage 2. yes, he's not a rookie. yes, this is the NHL. but why does the nhl have substance abuse/behavior programs much like portage?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tye only scenario in which I can see Kassian come back to the Habs is if were riddled with injuries and NEED bodies going into the playoffs. Otherwise I think he's pretty much done with the Habs.

Canadiens took a chance on him and he blew it. St this point he's more of a distraction than any sort of benefit. I would have liked to see what he could do but doubt we will at this point.

I don't think it would be smart for the Habs to just write him off, especially if he gets help and comes back at 100%. He isn't the first or last guy to have substance issues.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I don't think it would be smart for the Habs to just write him off, especially if he gets help and comes back at 100%. He isn't the first or last guy to have substance issues.

/Shrug...

If Kassian's truck don't hit a tree. He still start the season as 13th forward, still have off-ice issues and don't get to play much anyway.

So yeah, it's very easy to write the guy off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad